Quote Originally Posted by gooseSA40 View Post
Thank you for posting.
Thank you for taking a stand.

A question that I ask folks in these "situations" --- Are you recording these in-person oral conversations with elected officials (the Sheriff), and county LE employees paid with TAX money?

Please don't answer if it hinders the progress you're trying to make. If you're not, discuss with a lawyer before doing so.
I have not been recording these encounters, though, after this most recent one, I was thinking I probably should have been (I am aware of the two-party consent requirement).

It's a double-edged sword. Recording would definitely be wise to (hopefully) protect my ass from a truly criminal sheriff who would make things up (note: I do NOT consider Lance Benedict to be one such person). And it could be useful in terms of evidence. But at the same time, recording could put the sheriff on edge and make him less willing to even have a discussion in the first place, or make the discussions notably less productive. Keep in mind that I've had two such discussions with this sheriff, and both times there were productive, albeit imperfect, outcomes.