Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    (Centre County)

Default Re: Building an AR for a relative in NJ

That's the problem, the ATF, AFAIK, has never defined/set that time period. They (the ATF) would rather use the nebulous "INTENT" to do what they want to gun owners. That way, the ATF could go to court and say that they had been watching X and they had a record of him building firearms and always selling them after 6 weeks so they he "intended" all along to sell without a license. Could a good lawyer get him off? Probably, but who knows.

I do know that when a FFL transfers a firearm into their private ownership, it is recommended by the ATF that they don't sell it as a private party sale for a year. In PA that would deal with long arms since private sales of long arms don't require the use of an FFL. A FFL could however, transfer it to himself, then 3 months later, transfer it back into his books and dispose of it wih no consequences.

The problem is that the ATF wants to keep these things in a gray area to make it easier to control firearms owners because people can't figure out what the laws actually say and the ATF never gives a black and white answer.

I will say though, that the ATF is in for a big smack down because more lawyers are questioning, and winning, when they fight the definition of what part of an AR is actually the "firearm".
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Lancaster County)

Fred,
    Seriously, the most prudent advice one can give here is DON'T assemble an AR and send it to NJ. let your relatives in the other side of the Iron Curtain figure it out for themselves. It's a noble gesture to help them but you may be setting your self up for a world of fucked up legal hassles that may lead to you becoming a prohibited person owning a firearm in PA

Mistake 1. Saying "for a relative".

Mistake 2. Saying "in NJ".

Mistake 3. Posting #1 and/or #2.
    Galations 6:9...And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up.
    Ashli Babbitt - Patriot

(Bucks County)

Hey Guys,

Thank you all for the information and opinions.... I think at this point I*ll just keep this rifle on this side of the river..... and just get him a
    NJ *compliant* rifle.... I really do not see transferring a lawfully obtained lower (and rifle built on it!) would violate the intent of the law in NJ....
    But it is a strange land.... and *there be monsters there*! I have spent a lifetime not being a felon... and would really like to stay that way!

Thank You!
    Fred
    A Templar is truly a fearless knight, and secure on every side, for his soul is protected by the armor of faith, just as his body is protected by the armor of steel.
    Big whoop, I'm spooning a Barret .50 Cal...... I could like kill a building.....

(Delaware County)

Just a piece of advice. If I were you, I would maybe look at several member*s history here. Then choose one you trust to ask your questions like this via Private Message. You just opened a can of worms for yourself with this. No doubt your content is now being watched. And I wouldn*t be surprised if the FBI/NSA starts listening in on your phone and invades your online privacy. Better keep your thumb over your camera lens & hope you don*t have Siri or Alexa in your hone.
    Last edited by DavidH; May 12th, 2021 at 02:28 PM.
    Remember Biden the Pedophile! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSRqaO6DXcA

(Warren County)

Quote Originally Posted by DavidH View Post
    Just a get piece of advice. If I were you, I would maybe look at several member*s history here. Then choose one you trust to ask your questions like this via Private Message. You just opened a can of worms for yourself with this. No doubt your content is now being watched. And I wouldn*t be surprised if the FBI/NSA starts listening in on your phone and invades your online privacy. Better keep your thumb over your camera lens & hope you don*t have Siri or Alexa in your hone.
    It's not paranoia if they really are out to get you....
    American by BIRTH, Infidel by CHOICE

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by markshere2 View Post
    It's not paranoia if they really are out to get you....

Heard that! They been watching me for a minute.
    Last edited by DavidH; April 21st, 2021 at 08:21 PM.
    Remember Biden the Pedophile! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSRqaO6DXcA

(Chester County)

Assembling a firearm sounds like an act of white supremacy. I'd definitely steer clear of the racists that now rule New Jersey.
    Corruption is the default behavior of government officials. JPC

(Lebanon County)

This is why our side will lose. "It sounds scary, don't do it"

The definition of a Manufacturer from 27 CFR 478.11: "Manufacturer. Any person engaged in the business of manufacturing firearms or ammunition. The term shall include any person who engages in such business on a part-time basis.

27 CFR 478.11: Engaged in the business—(a) Manufacturer of firearms. A person who devotes time, attention, and labor to manufacturing firearms as a regular course of trade or business with the principal objective of livelihood and profit through the sale or distribution of the firearms manufactured.

Building one rifle for a friend as a gift is the same as buying one firearm for a gift. It's going through a dealer and sounds like the OP did some research to ensure it will be NJ compliant.
    Last edited by sawgunner73; April 27th, 2021 at 12:51 PM. Reason: Add info

Quote Originally Posted by sawgunner73 View Post
    This is why our side will lose. "It sounds scary, don't do it"
    Anything having to do with the People's Republic of New Jersey and guns is scary. Even if the ATF agrees with your interpretation, I'm sure the New Jersey Turban General would find or make up some charges to stick to the OP.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast