Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Adams County)

Default MEC 600 JR Mark V sticking

I'm reloading 12 ga. with a MEC 600 Jr. It works well, except when I push the charge bar to the right to drop the shot. A hard slap and the bar moves with almost no resistance. A more gentle push and it sticks and doesn't want to go the whole way. I took everything apart and found on the powder side, a rubber washer with a thin brass washer below it that seals between the powder bottle and the charge bar. Looks like the brass washer is thin enough that it is moving with the charge bar (sliding under the metal that retains the charge bar on top) until it jams. Thinking of taking a second washer and soldering it on top of the old one to increase the thickness so it is captured by the metal "retainer" above the charge bar. I have two on order, just in case. Anyone see a flaw in this plan?

(Northampton County)

Default Re: MEC 600 JR Mark V sticking

sounds to me it is more likely that the rubber washer has dried out. I would replace the washer first, before trying to solder brass washers together.
    just my thoughts . good luck
    75/15/10

(Chester County)

The measure body & charge bar may have to much clearance letting the washer get pinched when bar moves back and forth. Forcing it will flatten the high points on the washer. Then washer will block the powder drop, resulting in a light powder charge. After taking measurement of my 4 Mec 600JR, i found a new measure body was needed. Mec exchanged the old for new. There is also a lot of variation in the height of the charge bars.
    Attached Images Attached Images

(Adams County)

Quote Originally Posted by 243winxb View Post
    The measure body & charge bar may have to much clearance letting the washer get pinched when bar moves back and forth. Forcing it will flatten the high points on the washer. Then washer will block the powder drop, resulting in a light powder charge. After taking measurement of my 4 Mec 600JR, i found a new measure body was needed. Mec exchanged the old for new. There is also a lot of variation in the height of the charge bars.
    This is exactly what I am seeing. There is just enough space between the measuring body and charge bar for the washer to slide part way to the right, then gum up the works. I think I'll try a easy fix first and use CA glue to bond the rubber washer to the brass washer and see what happens. If that doesn't hold up, then a new measuring body is probably in order.

(Bucks County)

I have been reloading with a 600 Jr for 30 years and never knew you there was such a thing as a brass washer. There is also no brass washer shown in the schematic and only a mention on the parts list. I bought mine used and all it has was the rubber ones. Works fine like that and there will only be a few stray grains of powder that leak out after reloading hundreds of rounds.

Doing some reading the brass washer need to be installed one side up. If it is upside down there was mention of it shifting. I hope you didn't crush it too thin.

(Adams County)

OK, glued the brass and rubber washers together. Couldn't see much difference. More checking. (this has the universal charge bar) On the shot side of the bar, there is a plastic "dog bone" insert. It extended slightly above the charge bar and seemed to be catching when moving the bar to the right. Removed the insert and sanded it down on a flat surface. After several trials it was nice and flush with the top of the bar. Seems to work ok now. Now I just have to get the powder adjusted back to my original 17.4 grains and all will be good.

(Bucks County)

Like I mentioned. I never knew there was a brass washer. And you absolutely don't need it on the shot side. Maybe I am behind the times and never used one and I only have one powder bar with the dog bone plastic insert. I just load load and shoot. After many thousand of rounds without even knowing about what is now "correct" it works.

(Chester County)

The brass washer can restrict the powder drop, if it moves to the wrong area.

To check if enough powder has entered the case, i set the wad pressure indicator to just move a tiny bit , when seating the wad.

(Adams County)

Ok, I think everything is working the way it should. I had ordered several rubber gaskets and two of the brass washers. The brass washer that came with mine (used machine) was flat and about 1/32" thick. The new one is more like a conical spring washer with three "fingers" that point upward to help retain its' position. Anyway, new rubber and new brass washer, dialed in the powder charge (universal charge bar) and all is good.

One thing I did notice is that the powder charge is very consistent as long as you are consistent with the press operation. However if you change up anything in the cycle it can throw off the charge by up to a half grain or more.