Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Walther p22 or Ruger sr22?

I know. This has been played out to death. But I'm looking for a pistol to get my fiancee more into shooting with me. She currently has a Ruger sr9 but has a very difficult time racking the slide and an even harder time controlling the recoil.

Firstly, did they ever fix the very early slide cracking issues on the p22? I never took the p22 seriously because of it.

I handled one yesterday and it felt good in the hand and i really liked the slide mounted safety (I'm a Beretta guy). The slide was very easy to rack. I think it is a good option assuming it won't tear itself apart. I also seem to bump into them more frequently than the Ruger.

Do they have any ammo reliability issues? I've read they can be kind of finicky. But I've read that about nearly every 22 and have never really had any issues.

With the Ruger, how annoying is the upside down safety? U have big hands and my thumbs tend to activate the safety on my mark iv 22/45 regularly enough that I'd call it a problem (and that is with a 1911 style - emphasis on style - safety).

I like the aftermarket support from Ruger a lot as well as the warranty support.

The wingman +5 magazine extensions look pretty great.

Is the magazine disconnect a non issue? Easily removable like on the sr9?

Does anybody have both? If you could only have one, which one and why? If you've shot either or both of them, what was your impression?

Am i overlooking some other good compact da/sa 22 pistol option? I'm not looking for something like a mark/buckmark/victory/41/17/etc. Also not interested in Taurus. Sorry... But not sorry.

-Zach

Default Re: Walther p22 or Ruger sr22?

I have and like them both. I own 3 of the sr22's (long story) included the long barrel version that I fitted with the twin-tech threaded barrel. One thing about the Ruger is you can not beat their customer support.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Cloud View Post
    I have and like them both. I own 3 of the sr22's (long story) included the long barrel version that I fitted with the twin-tech threaded barrel. One thing about the Ruger is you can not beat their customer support.
    I know. I had to send a mark iii back years ago because a pin in the main spring/takedown latch backed out and prevented takedown. They destroyed the original grip frame to get it apart and then sent back all of my aftermarket parts in a little bag.

I am still leaning toward the Ruger just because i like the company and i keep seeing that it is more reliable. Now i just need to bump into one or both on the store.

-Zach

Having owned both models I settled on a S&W Compact for the wife .Shoots all ammo,very accurate,and is a little more in size compared to what your asking about . Negatives are the S&W is extremely difficult almost impossible to find .

(Bucks County)

I have a Lite 22/45 that is finicky depending on ammo and I just picked up a Walther.

I like the Walther as trigger and feel are close to a couple of striker fired guns I have. CDNN had the Walther at a good price but mags with the finger rest are out of stock almost everywhere..

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by MARINE DIVISION TWO View Post
    Having owned both models I settled on a S&W Compact for the wife .Shoots all ammo,very accurate,and is a little more in size compared to what your asking about . Negatives are the S&W is extremely difficult almost impossible to find .
    I'm trying to avoid striker fired. At least i assume it is striker fired. My experience with non revolver s&w handguns is very limited. I handled a few m&p's but they weren't for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Pag23 View Post
    I have a Lite 22/45 that is finicky depending on ammo and I just picked up a Walther.

I like the Walther as trigger and feel are close to a couple of striker fired guns I have. CDNN had the Walther at a good price but mags with the finger rest are out of stock almost everywhere..
    That is kind of surprising. I have a mark iv lite and it has been flawless. Is yours the mark iii or iv?

-Zach

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by MARINE DIVISION TWO View Post
    Interesting. Just googled it. Internal hammer. Neat. I'll keep that on the radar.

-Zach

Quote Originally Posted by zachomega View Post
    Interesting. Just googled it. Internal hammer. Neat. I'll keep that on the radar.

-Zach
    I also have the full size and compact they both are nice guns.

(Bucks County)

During the last ammo shortage, Federal Automatch was some of the only ammo available for a bit. My SR-22 was my only .22 pistol that would shoot it reliably. It also works perfectly with all of the usual bulk stuff.
    I didn't like losing the slide lock back feature with the wingman extensions so I went back to 10 rounds.
    The safety is only upside down to 1911 people, to DA/SA/Decocker people it's correct.
    Tact is just not saying true stuff. I'll pass.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by carwash View Post
    During the last ammo shortage, Federal Automatch was some of the only ammo available for a bit. My SR-22 was my only .22 pistol that would shoot it reliably. It also works perfectly with all of the usual bulk stuff.
    I didn't like losing the slide lock back feature with the wingman extensions so I went back to 10 rounds.
    The safety is only upside down to 1911 people, to DA/SA/Decocker people it's correct.
    Oh i didn't realize the wingman kills the last shot hold open. Yeah. That is a deal breaker for me too.

That is a good point about the safety. I'm a Beretta guy and used to carry a ppk/s so I'm all about the slide positioned safety (or preferably decocker only), but that isn't a show stopper on a 22 pistol. And it looks pretty low profile and up high enough that you shouldn't find yourself accidentally hitting it.

I feel like the world of good companion/trainer 22 pistols is very limited. I know sig used to have some dual caliber kits. Cz has the super overpriced kadet. Beretta has a kit that is known for aluminum on aluminum galling.

I'm kind of rambling here now.

-Zach

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast