Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Walther p22 or Ruger sr22?

Quote Originally Posted by zachomega View Post
    Is it SA only or da/sa?

-Zach
    The M&P 22 is a cocked and locked single action.

For anyone looking for a P17 that has a Sportsman's Warehouse nearby, they get P17s in rather frequently. They don't have an option to notify you of something in stock, but if you check these two links periodically, you may luck out. When you place the order, understand that they ship these to your local store, so it may take a week or two before it's available for pick up. They will email you when it's ready. You have 14 days to pick it up before they cancel your order. I was able to score two last Nov for my dad and FiL. I usually checked early in the morning.

https://www.sportsmans.com/shooting-...unds/p/1620147

https://www.sportsmans.com/shooting-...unds/p/1620146

Also, the baby shit brown one looks just as bad in person as it does online. Somehow they made an ugly gun even uglier. But hey, beggars can't be choosers, no matter what social media tries to tell ya.

(Beaver County)

Same I would have to agree

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
    The M&P 22 is a cocked and locked single action.
    I'll have to pass. Doesn't serve as a training tool for me and the fiancee won't care either way.

-Zach

(Bucks County)

Another option to consider would be a GSG Firefly, It's like a shrunk down Sig. Mine runs great on my preferred .22s, Blazer & Golden bullets. If I have a complaint it's that I have to keep my thumb away from the slide stop or else it won't lock back.
    I just remembered another DA/SA .22 that I have although the DA is literally like 20lbs, the Walther PPK/S .22
    I also have a Beretta M9 .22 which is DA/SA but it's a full size replica so the grip is quite large.
    Tact is just not saying true stuff. I'll pass.

The SR22 is not a MkIII or IV, much smaller. My SR22 has shot every thing I put in it. Little bigger grip than the p22. My p22 shoots every thing when clean, it needs a spray and wipe after 100 rounds. The barrel is longer and the grip smaller. I have 8-12 year old grand kids that like the smaller grip. Both are nice, but not .45's.
    20 years USN - OSC

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by carwash View Post
    Another option to consider would be a GSG Firefly, It's like a shrunk down Sig. Mine runs great on my preferred .22s, Blazer & Golden bullets. If I have a complaint it's that I have to keep my thumb away from the slide stop or else it won't lock back.
    I just remembered another DA/SA .22 that I have although the DA is literally like 20lbs, the Walther PPK/S .22
    I also have a Beretta M9 .22 which is DA/SA but it's a full size replica so the grip is quite large.
    I handled a used firefly. It was okay i guess. The safety felt crude on it. Like it dragged. I did see a ppk in 22. Way too small. I used to have a ppk/s in 380. The "/s" makes a world of difference.
    I have seen the m9-22. Just not in person. A bit bigger than i want. But I'd probably still seriously consider one. Mostly for me. Whereas the sr22/p22 idea is to get my small handed fiancee more into shooting.

Quote Originally Posted by WVBob View Post
    The SR22 is not a MkIII or IV, much smaller. My SR22 has shot every thing I put in it. Little bigger grip than the p22. My p22 shoots every thing when clean, it needs a spray and wipe after 100 rounds. The barrel is longer and the grip smaller. I have 8-12 year old grand kids that like the smaller grip. Both are nice, but not .45's.
    Good. Smaller grip is the goal here. And easier to rack.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
    For anyone looking for a P17 that has a Sportsman's Warehouse nearby, they get P17s in rather frequently. They don't have an option to notify you of something in stock, but if you check these two links periodically, you may luck out. When you place the order, understand that they ship these to your local store, so it may take a week or two before it's available for pick up. They will email you when it's ready. You have 14 days to pick it up before they cancel your order. I was able to score two last Nov for my dad and FiL. I usually checked early in the morning.

https://www.sportsmans.com/shooting-...unds/p/1620147

https://www.sportsmans.com/shooting-...unds/p/1620146

Also, the baby shit brown one looks just as bad in person as it does online. Somehow they made an ugly gun even uglier. But hey, beggars can't be choosers, no matter what social media tries to tell ya.
    Handled one out of curiosity today at ready aim fire (the shooting range i go to) and it is just a wee bit too much plastic for me.

-Zach

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by zachomega View Post
    I know. This has been played out to death. But I'm looking for a pistol to get my fiancee more into shooting with me. She currently has a Ruger sr9 but has a very difficult time racking the slide and an even harder time controlling the recoil.

Firstly, did they ever fix the very early slide cracking issues on the p22? I never took the p22 seriously because of it.

I handled one yesterday and it felt good in the hand and i really liked the slide mounted safety (I'm a Beretta guy). The slide was very easy to rack. I think it is a good option assuming it won't tear itself apart. I also seem to bump into them more frequently than the Ruger.

Do they have any ammo reliability issues? I've read they can be kind of finicky. But I've read that about nearly every 22 and have never really had any issues.

With the Ruger, how annoying is the upside down safety? U have big hands and my thumbs tend to activate the safety on my mark iv 22/45 regularly enough that I'd call it a problem (and that is with a 1911 style - emphasis on style - safety).

I like the aftermarket support from Ruger a lot as well as the warranty support.

The wingman +5 magazine extensions look pretty great.

Is the magazine disconnect a non issue? Easily removable like on the sr9?

Does anybody have both? If you could only have one, which one and why? If you've shot either or both of them, what was your impression?

Am i overlooking some other good compact da/sa 22 pistol option? I'm not looking for something like a mark/buckmark/victory/41/17/etc. Also not interested in Taurus. Sorry... But not sorry.

-Zach
    I have the Walther P22, i absolutely love it but if you decide to buy it, i HIGHLY recommend switching to this captured spring rod. https://www.tandemkross.com/Walther%...Rod_p_239.html Man, it saved me hours of headaches, the original spring is like 9 feet long, i almost threw it in the trash trying to put it back together when i was a brand new gun owner. For the record, i think i've had one jam on this thing in thousands of rounds, fun little shooter. Good luck!

(Bucks County)

I ended up buying the Ruger sr22 today. I handled quite a few pistols.

Some quick notes.

The sights on the keltec are really bad. The plastic magazines turned me off.

The gsg and the Walther have the same feel to them in terms of quality. Wouldn't be surprised if they are made in the same plant. The detents weren't very positive and dragged on the slide. I did like how the Walther slide felt. Probably the slickest action of the lot.

The Ruger feels more substantial in the hand. Albeit a bit less soft in the hand. The grip on the Walther is for sure nicer. But the overall feel off the Ruger gives it a leg up.

The magazine button on the Walther is... Well... Bad. I want to train. Not learn a new battery of arms.

I like that the Ruger is also a decocker with the safety.

I don't like the magazine disconnect on the Ruger. It makes the trigger sad without a magazine. I could really see that being irritating. I'm going to have to look into disabling that nonsense.

I'm sure I'm missing some other thoughts. I handled a surprising quantity of pistols before finally getting to hold the Ruger.

-Zach

(Bucks County)

Took the Ruger sr22 out for the first time and even managed to drag my fiancee along. We've been together for 6 years and this will make for the 3rd time we've been shooting together.

The gun is so much fun! The trigger out of the box is pretty good. Not great. But nowhere near the worst. The double action trigger is kind of heavy... But not at first. Like initially it is light and smooth and then it gets heavy before the break.

I primarily shot single action but on at least 3 instances needed a second double action pull to get the cartridge to fire. I'm going to blame ammo and not the gun. I had a few battery issues. But nothing significant. No show stopping failures in roughly 300 rounds.

The only thing I did before shooting was lube the slide rails.

The fiancee was into it and she surprised me by how well she shot.

The sights were set pretty close to center but super high. Does Ruger sight in for like 50 yards with these things? I know they sight in for that 6 o'clock hold. But i like poa/poi.

I have big hands, but i prefer the smaller grip profile.

The pistol has almost no recoil. Like even less than a mark series pistol. That steel bolt flying back on the mark series must build some inertia.

I can tell I'm going to use this pistol a lot. My only regret is not buying one sooner. It would have cost less and would have come in better color options.

-Zach

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast