Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Walther p22 or Ruger sr22?

Kel Tec P17. Easiest slide you'll ever find to rack on a pistol. Just took mine out last weekend and put another 300 rounds through it with no hiccups. My favorite .22lr pistol, currently.

You ruled out Taurus. Bummer. The TX22 is a great gun. Just needed a couple of upgrades to improve longevity (guide rod assembly) and usability (sights). It eats everything and has been 100% reliable.

The S&W M&P 22 pistol is good, too. My wife's is finicky when it comes to ammo. S&W recommends premium ammo, so we ran CCI and Eley Match ammo. It ran most of the time. Tried Remington Thunderbolts, and the damn thing runs 100%. Go figure. I like the S&W because it feels just like a regular M&P. I use that for training new shooters before moving them up to the M&P 9. Sold a lot of new shooters on the full size M&Ps this past year.

Quote Originally Posted by zachomega View Post
    I feel like the world of good companion/trainer 22 pistols is very limited. I know sig used to have some dual caliber kits. Cz has the super overpriced kadet. Beretta has a kit that is known for aluminum on aluminum galling.
    My wife's first pistol was a Sig P226 in .22lr. She shot that for about a month before buying the X-Change kit in 9mm. She's used that gun in competition for over 10 years. Every now and again she'll break out the .22 upper and run some rounds through it, but it's pretty much a 9mm gun now.

I got into 22's when I bought my first suppressor. I own most of the 22's mentioned . My excuse is I'm searching for the perfect suppressor host.I also have the Kel-tec p17 I really like my Taurus tx22. I have the aftermarket guide rod and the tandemkross front sight. I think you can also buy a non threaded barrel and a threaded barrel off the Taurus web site for about $50.00. All the guns mentioned are pretty good guns. The problem is going to find one to buy.

(Lehigh County)

I have a S&W M&P compact 22 that I shoot Federal target grade 1200fps with no problems. It has a threaded barrel and the adapter has to be removed to break it down since it's a blowback gun. I had to send it back to the factory after myself and the armorer at the gun store were unable to break it loose using a lot of torque.
    NRA Life Member

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by zachomega View Post
    I'm trying to avoid striker fired. At least i assume it is striker fired. My experience with non revolver s&w handguns is very limited. I handled a few m&p's but they weren't for me.

That is kind of surprising. I have a mark iv lite and it has been flawless. Is yours the mark iii or iv?

-Zach
    Mark 4...

(Erie County)

Neither. Get the M&P 22 Compact.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
    Kel Tec P17. Easiest slide you'll ever find to rack on a pistol. Just took mine out last weekend and put another 300 rounds through it with no hiccups. My favorite .22lr pistol, currently.

You ruled out Taurus. Bummer. The TX22 is a great gun. Just needed a couple of upgrades to improve longevity (guide rod assembly) and usability (sights). It eats everything and has been 100% reliable.

The S&W M&P 22 pistol is good, too. My wife's is finicky when it comes to ammo. S&W recommends premium ammo, so we ran CCI and Eley Match ammo. It ran most of the time. Tried Remington Thunderbolts, and the damn thing runs 100%. Go figure. I like the S&W because it feels just like a regular M&P. I use that for training new shooters before moving them up to the M&P 9. Sold a lot of new shooters on the full size M&Ps this past year.
    I've never handled anything keltec first hand. They have a mixed reputation but supposedly good customer service.

I have however handled taurus first hand. They also have a reputation and it is far less flattering than keltec's. I'll continue to keep the bull out of my collection.

Quote Originally Posted by Pag23 View Post
    Mark 4...
    That is strange. The only time any of my mark pistols had issues was with that mark iii chamber indicator. So glad they got rid of it.

Quote Originally Posted by edmundfitz1975 View Post
    Neither. Get the M&P 22 Compact.
    Is it SA only or da/sa?

-Zach

(Bucks County)

I have however handled taurus first hand. They also have a reputation and it is far less flattering than keltec's. I'll continue to keep the bull out of my collection.

Smart move IMHO. I will eventually get the Keltec P17 and give it a try. I have heard that it has/had a few issues but Keltec does care about the people that buys their products. A company that is concerned about the product they put in their customers hands will always get my support, unlike Taurus which is one company that doesn't give a rats butt about their consumers. Doesn't make any sense to me why some gun owners support a company like Taurus when are are so many other companies that actually care and bend over backwards to make sure you get satisfaction. By the way I own both Ruger and Walther firearms. But I feel that the Ruger SR22 is overall superior to the Walther P22.

Quote Originally Posted by triplebike View Post

Smart move IMHO. I will eventually get the Keltec P17 and give it a try. I have heard that it has/had a few issues but Keltec does care about the people that buys their products. A company that is concerned about the product they put in their customers hands will always get my support, unlike Taurus which is one company that doesn't give a rats butt about their consumers. Doesn't make any sense to me why some gun owners support a company like Taurus when are are so many other companies that actually care and bend over backwards to make sure you get satisfaction. By the way I own both Ruger and Walther firearms. But I feel that the Ruger SR22 is overall superior to the Walther P22.
    I was at T G W in greeley they had a P-17 in the case,Good price but when I inspected it the magazine was forced backwards into firearm ! I pointed it out because I could not get mag out,they quickly put it under shelf ! With that said I would like a P-17 also just for kicks and giggles,but the wife is in love with her newley acquired S&W Compact 22lr,without the extended threaded barrel !

(Northumberland County)

Skip the Walther. Wife has one and it's nice enough, but picky as shit on ammo. Basically CCI Minimags are the only thing I've found to be fully reliable.

If I had to do it over again, I'd get her the SR22 or one of the Mark series (which are pretty much the epitome of "out of the box" accuracy and reliability IMO). Also the Keltec p17, as mentioned above...hear mostly good things on that one, and it is cheap (or was, anyway...not sure of current prices).

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast