Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    (Delaware County)

Default Re: 4/6/21 Casey response

Quote Originally Posted by alpacaheat View Post
    HAHA. Nice response.

I got it too. STILL using the Sandy Hook kids for politics 9 years later. Shameful.
    I don't even bother reading his responses as I already know what they will say.
    Sticks and stones will break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.

Default Re: 4/6/21 Casey response

Contrast with this received this morning:

Dear Mr. alpacaheat,

Thank you for contacting me about H.R. 8 and H.R. 1446. I appreciate learning your views about background checks for firearms sales, and I appreciate your patience with my response as we navigate an immense amount of correspondence.

H.R. 8 would make it a crime for an individual to sell or transfer firearms privately. This process would require a background check for every firearm sale and often even to let someone else shoot your gun at a shooting range.

I am and always will be a resolute supporter of every law-abiding American's Second Amendment rights. I oppose H.R. 8 because it unilaterally restricts the gun rights of law-abiding Americans in a misguided attempt to address gun violence, eliminating the majority of private transfers and requiring background checks for all purchases. While the bill lists certain exceptions for certain transfers, including for estate purposes, it'd require background checks for temporary transfers - which can be troublesome for Service Members or people going on vacation who are trying to responsibly store firearms while they're away. H.R. 8 would ensure that transfers like these would be felonies, regardless of criminal intent.

Proponents of H.R. 8 believe these measures will make a meaningful impact in reducing gun violence, addressing an alleged "gun show loophole." However, this argument is deeply flawed. Studies by the U.S. Department of Justice (2016) and various peer-reviewed journals have found that only about 0.8% of guns used in crimes were acquired at gun shows, and that there is no evidence of an association between the repeal of comprehensive background check policies and firearm homicide or suicide rates. Many more criminals acquired guns through theft. Some were able to legally acquire the weapon because they did not have prior felony or domestic violence convictions.

Additionally, I believe that H.R. 8 would be an unconstitutional expansion of Federal power. When the current background check system was created, Congress justified that it was within Federal jurisdiction because it was a regulation of interstate commerce. Anyone who engages in weapons transactions across state lines must either be a Federally licensed firearms dealer or must complete the transaction through a Federally licensed dealer who performs a background check during sales to others. H.R. 8 would only impact intrastate transfers and would override states' policies on matters rightfully under their jurisdiction. States already make these policies themselves. For example, under Pennsylvania law, transfers of handguns must be conducted through a licensed dealer and a background check must be performed on the buyer, but the state chose not to apply these requirements to rifles, since nearly all crimes with firearms are committed with handguns and hunting rifles are popular as gifts for family members and hunting buddies. H.R. 8 would rob states of their right to make these decisions for themselves.

Meanwhile, H.R. 1446, the "Enhanced Background Checks" Act, would allow the FBI to delay the completion of its supposedly instant NICS background checks for gun purchases, initially for ten days, and by taking follow-up steps, indefinitely. As a result, law-abiding Americans could be indefinitely kept from purchasing a gun without due process. This would endanger those who need to purchase guns for their safety. It also fails to address the problem that it's purportedly intended to solve.

Advocates for the bill claim that criminals are able to buy guns because the FBI can not complete their background checks within the current three-day limit. While the background check system occasionally fails to stop a criminal, this is not due to the time available but due to failures to maintain and check the records databases used for the NICS system. The NICS system is supposed to keep records of all felonies, of domestic violence misdemeanors, and of some other proceedings that would make it illegal for someone to purchase a gun. Sometimes, local jurisdictions fail to provide records to the FBI when they should, and other times, the FBI simply fails to check the appropriate records when conducting its checks. The latter was the case when the perpetrator of the Mother Emmanuel African Methodist Episcopal Church shooting in Charleston purchased his gun. Advocates of H.R. 1446 call this the "Charleston Loophole" and claim that their bill will fix it. However, in that case, the FBI failed to check one of the databases at its disposal, missing records it had on file. Two and a half months later, they realized their error.

Extending the time period to ten days wouldn't have made a difference. When the FBI can't match the appropriate record in three days, it's highly unlikely that they will do it in ten days or twenty days. Meanwhile, this bill will repeatedly victimize law abiding Americans; most (possibly as high as 95% of) transactions flagged by NICS are false positives. We can't leave law abiding Americans begging to exercise their God-given rights to make up for their government's performance failures.

The Second Amendment is a Constitutional right guaranteed to all American citizens. The Constitution doesn't specify what type of arms we can bear or how/when we may exercise our rights, and the federal government has no constitutional authority to limit or regulate these rights. We must consider in detail how any proposed legislation would be applied today, but also how it may be interpreted in the future. Remember, criminals who fail to obey laws don't heed new laws, either. Attempting to stop acts of violence by restricting access to firearms doesn't address the root cause of the violence.

While I remain focused on Constitutional freedoms, I'm always open to thoughtful and meaningful solutions. For example, we need significant improvements to our mental health system, which may prevent people from perpetrating senseless acts of violence, as well as innocent citizens from having to face the immeasurable loss and grief resulting from them.

We must strive to eliminate criminal use of guns while protecting citizens' right to defend themselves. These are intrinsically sensitive matters - regardless of viewpoints - because they rest at the crossroads of liberty and security. I fully support the 2nd Amendment, and I support policies that reduce gun violence and strengthen our mental health system - these aren't mutually exclusive issues.

Once again, thank you for contacting me. I appreciate your concerns and encourage your continued feedback. Please visit our website at perry.house.gov to submit further questions/comments or to sign up for our e-newsletter, Facebook page, and/or Twitter updates.

Very Respectfully,

Scott Perry
    Member of Congress
    10th District, Pennsylvania
    Last edited by alpacaheat; July 7th, 2021 at 02:42 PM.
    Galations 6:9...And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up.
    Ashli Babbitt - Patriot

(Lawrence County)

Default Re: Bob Casey on gun control

I tried replying to his response and daemon won't send it through!! I like that he says feel free to contact me, but you can't respond. And unless you want to go through his government website and give your address, how do you get his email?

(Delaware County)

There is enough gun owners in Pa. to vote Casey out of office. Sadly we don't vote collectively to get state wide antis out of office.
    This is why we got Wuff, and as such will not get constitutional carry.

(Chester County)

Bob Casey just sent me a random email about 'furniture safety.'

Seriously? That's all you got? I never hear from this moron ever! WTF are you really doing for me you f'ing idiot!?!?

Dear JAKIII,

Last week, my STURDY Act went into effect, strengthening furniture safety standards to protect from devastating furniture tip-over accidents that injure and kill far too many young children.*******

While all newly-manufactured furniture must meet safety and stability requirements before it can be sold, there are important steps that you can take today to secure new and existing furniture to prevent tip-overs and resulting injuries.

Here's why it's important to anchor your furniture: since 2000 there have been at least 580 deaths resulting from furniture tip-overs -- 81% were children. Tip-overs also cause roughly 22,500 emergency room visits each year. Securing your furniture to the wall can avert tragedy.

Anchoring your furniture is quick, easy, and costs very little. If you're not sure how to anchor, here are three simple steps to get you started:

>snip<

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by JAKIII View Post

Seriously? That's all you got? I never hear from this moron ever! WTF are you really doing for me you f'ing idiot!?!?

Dear JAKIII,

Last week, my STURDY Act went into effect, strengthening furniture safety standards to protect from devastating furniture tip-over accidents that injure and kill far too many young children.*******

While all newly-manufactured furniture must meet safety and stability requirements before it can be sold, there are important steps that you can take today to secure new and existing furniture to prevent tip-overs and resulting injuries.

Here's why it's important to anchor your furniture: since 2000 there have been at least 580 deaths resulting from furniture tip-overs -- 81% were children. Tip-overs also cause roughly 22,500 emergency room visits each year. Securing your furniture to the wall can avert tragedy.

Anchoring your furniture is quick, easy, and costs very little. If you're not sure how to anchor, here are three simple steps to get you started:

>snip<

I got the same letter. Common sense furniture law. I'm so proud of him. <sarc>

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by JAKIII View Post

Dear JAKIII,

>snip<

Have you gotten anything from Fetterwoman? I haven't even seen anything from him in months.
    Power always thinks...that it is doing God's service when it is violating all his laws.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by ROCK-IT3 View Post
    Have you gotten anything from Fetterwoman? I haven't even seen anything from him in months.
    Mr. STBear

Thank you so much for reaching out to my office. I appreciate hearing from you.

I believe that Pennsylvanians deserve a strong voice in Washington, so hearing from constituents like you about these critical issues is essential to my work. I*m here in D.C. fighting for solutions that deliver real results for Pennsylvanians and every corner of our commonwealth. As long as I*m your senator, that*s what I*ll always do.

Thank you again for contacting me to share your thoughts. Please do not hesitate to reach out in the future about other issues of importance to you. If I can be of assistance, or if you*d like to learn more about my work on behalf of Pennsylvanians and our commonwealth, I encourage you to visit my website, https://www.fetterman.senate.gov/.

Sincerely,

John Fetterman
    United States Senator

What a joke.

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by STBear View Post
    Mr. STBear

Thank you so much for reaching out to my office. I appreciate hearing from you.

I believe that Pennsylvanians deserve a strong voice in Washington, so hearing from constituents like you about these critical issues is essential to my work. I*m here in D.C. fighting for solutions that deliver real results for Pennsylvanians and every corner of our commonwealth. As long as I*m your senator, that*s what I*ll always do.

Thank you again for contacting me to share your thoughts. Please do not hesitate to reach out in the future about other issues of importance to you. If I can be of assistance, or if you*d like to learn more about my work on behalf of Pennsylvanians and our commonwealth, I encourage you to visit my website, https://www.fetterman.senate.gov/.

Sincerely,

John Fetterman
    United States Senator

What a joke.
    So, no answer to your question.
    Power always thinks...that it is doing God's service when it is violating all his laws.

(Montgomery County)

I supose I shouldn't admit to it but I never read their answers after sending the email. I already know and feel compeled to send the email but draw the line at wasting my time reading their bullshit answer. I vote agaisnt them but I feel like i'm digging a ditch witha teaspoon

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast