Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Killing an alligator

In a year or so my wife and I are moving to central Florida. Although there is no infestation of alligators in this part I have read and heard they could be all over the state.
    So when taking my dog out on a leash at night to go potty I want to be prepared to deal with one if we get attacked.
    I am aware you are not allowed to kill gators there. So I would run away until it stopped.
    I am not going to go get the perfect angle so I hit its walnut sized brain in back of its ears. No 22lr rifles here
    I will kill the thing so it does not live to fight another day.
    So what do you think straight on an eight round mag of 9mm 147gr or
    At least 1 12ga slug straight on.
    I dont care about its hide just want it f,ing dead.
    What do you hunters think.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Killing an alligator

(Berks County)

C'mon man, shoot them in the knee with a shotgun.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Montgomery County)

I think your from Maryland and asking how to commit what could be potentially a federal crime.

(Jefferson County)

1. You will not out run an alligator that is intent on catching you if you're already within 20ft of the gator. ...if you're going to be near fresh water, make sure there is a climbable tree within 20ft and learn to climb like a monkey.

2. You can kill a gator in self-defense, aim for the area on top of head.

3. For hunting gators in FL, you cannot use guns. You have to use bang sticks(unless that has changed since I lived there, doubtful).

4. Do NOT take pets near fresh water. That is literally baiting the gators into acting, and putting your pet at risk - which the only entity in the wrong is the pet owner.

5. Alligators are all over Florida, but are generally a freshwater critter(brackish too). The FL croc's are saltwater, and somewhere around the Miami area(cant remember exactly).
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Allegheny County)

Maybe two blasts into the air to scare it off ?

(Lehigh County)

Lightbulb Re: Killing an alligator

🐻 spray

(Philadelphia County)

wow wtf... on all levels

you go from considering (dismissing) 22lr to the brain (like casually mind you) to a full mag of 147gr 9mm (like that is some big game hunting load) to a 12ga slug (like that is the holy hand grenade)... where the fuck do you think you are exactly with pink diamond studded leash in one hand, terrier on the end and fucking shotgun in the other hand, casually scooping up dogshit and racking the pump in board shorts and loafers?

i do want to thank you for legitimately making me laugh out loud for the first time in forever. this is not hate, i love you.

(Lancaster County)

Fortunately, Mike Rowe has put out this informational video on how to subdue gators.

Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by arbud View Post
    In a year or so my wife and I are moving to central Florida. Although there is no infestation of alligators in this part I have read and heard they could be all over the state.
    So when taking my dog out on a leash at night to go potty I want to be prepared to deal with one if we get attacked.
    I am aware you are not allowed to kill gators there. So I would run away until it stopped.
    I am not going to go get the perfect angle so I hit its walnut sized brain in back of its ears. No 22lr rifles here
    I will kill the thing so it does not live to fight another day.
    So what do you think straight on an eight round mag of 9mm 147gr or
    At least 1 12ga slug straight on.
    I dont care about its hide just want it f,ing dead.
    What do you hunters think.
    Where are you going in central Florida? If you mean Orlando, you got some bad info. In fact, on the golf courses there, there are signs on woods near swamps saying do not enter, alligator danger. My daughter had a home in Kissimmee with a pool, and it backed to a swamp area. I saw a lot of gators back there at night. On the Disney World golf courses, we saw many gators. Rule was, take a free drop, at a safe distance. lol We had to use it once too, as one about the size of a 8 foot log was nesting on one of the balls. We originally thought it was a log. The worst one was the short course for juniors, which had many ponds. And many gators lounging at the edges of the ponds.

http://www.aaanimalcontrol.com/profe...alligator.html

Alligators are plentiful in central Florida, including the Orlando area. This includes not just the outskirts, but right in the center of the city! Virtually any body of water can hold alligators. Most Orlando lakes are connected by channels or pipes. Alligators can also travel across land, of course.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    But to answer your question. A 22lr will kill them, if you hit them in the right spot. But, you are only allowed to defend yourself or another against an alligator. Not your pets. BTW Alligators can run pretty fast. But you can outrun one if you are in decent shape. And don't let your kids or grandkids play near any water.

Have fun.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast