Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Allegheny County)

Default Votes vary on concealed weapons referendums

http://www.pjstar.com/news_elections...ns-referendums

Votes vary on concealed weapons referendums

Voters in three central Illinois counties expressed mixed opinions on the potential for a law that would allow citizens to carry concealed firearms.

Those voters were asked in an advisory referendum whether lawmakers in Springfield should pass legislation that would allow people who complete required training and pass background checks to carry guns, as 48 other states have done.

With all precincts reporting, 54.8 percent of McDonough County voters rejected the referendum — 6,468 opposed the measure, while 5,334, or 45.2 percent, were in favor.

In Woodford County, the referendum passed with 54.4 percent of the vote — 9,655 in favor and 8,088, or 45.6 percent, opposed.

Voters in LaSalle County, meanwhile, also rejected the referendum, with 24,755 or 52.6 percent opposed and 22,299 or 47.4 percent in favor.

The referendum was advisory only, and was intended to send a message to legislators in Springfield.

The measure made it on to regional ballots at the behest of members of the Winnebago County Board, the first in the state to add the referendum to its ballot and sent letters to all other county boards asking they do the same. Only 13 of Illinois' 101 other counties obliged.
    Some excellent points made by posters, which is better than the story is.

cadddad 21 hours ago
    Report Abuse
    Your article seems biased. You mention that 13 counties had referendums on their ballots, but you offer the results of only 3) giving the appearance of open disclosure. If that was really your intention, you would've published the results from the other 10) counties as well. My guess is, the referendums probably passed in those counties, possible overwhelmingly. I've been confronted with an illegal firearm, in an armed robbery. The police showed up 12 minutes later. Surely the crackhead would've had more than adequate time to kill everyone in the store, taking his time, and still escaping. No law would prevent him from having that gun; but I'm a law abiding citizen with no options of protecting my life or the lives of my loved ones. The right to carry concealed should also be an option for law abiding citizens, not just an option for criminals that no law, nor the police can prevent them from exercising.

bmclee 20 hours ago
    Report Abuse
    I have some serious doubt whether Illinois should allow non-criminals to be armed. It's becoming increasingly difficult for the predatory class to find safe prey. Their habitat has been shrinking. Just a couple of weeks ago, a would-be mugger got shot in the face by a 75 year old grandmother a few miles North of Jacksonville. He wasn't killed -- it was only a .22 -- but the poor guy was crying really pitiful. He had only been out on parole for 6 weeks. Now, after he gets out of the hospital he'll have to go back to prison.

It would be better if the Florida Courts would parole these guys to force them to live in Chicago or Los Angeles -- places where they can find plenty of suitable unarmed peasants.

Besides, given how corrupt the Chicago government, in particular, is -- almost as bad as Detroit -- I have to believe the whole process would turn into a graft machine to finance the political class.

denby 18 hours ago
    Report Abuse
    You are very bias, most all of southern Illinois voted to allow cc. Thank you very much.

jimini 18 hours ago
    Report Abuse
    I feel like a sheep among wolves anymore... Although crime isn't as bad as the major cities in our state.. its here! Crime fueled by illegal drugs and gangs are here... the people in our city has greatly changed over the last ten years bringing with them their ways of life whether its legal or crime ridden, its here! I sometimes already carry a conceal weapon when I travel interstate especially when driving through major cities. I believe I would be better being a 'live' concealed handgun criminal than a 'dead law abidding citizen!' I voted YES on concealed handguns in LaSalle County!

fsilber 9 hours ago
    Report Abuse
    Also, what the poll didn't measure was the strength of feeling. How important is the issue to those who voted for it, versus against it? How many of each side are willing to change their vote over this issue?

clocts 5 hours ago
    Report Abuse
    According to this site

http://www.pjstar.com/user/verify?id...Q8OpXRbx-Pi1k=

There were 14 counties with this referendum and 10 voted yes. Pretty ovious that this state needs to change it's laws regarding gun control.

clocts 5 hours ago
    Report AbuseSorry. Wrong link.

http://www.learnaboutguns.com/2008/1...s-in-illinois/

(Lehigh County)

Default Re: Votes vary on concealed weapons referendums

What unmitigated gall for the "press" to write a report and say "mixed results" by only mentioning 3 counties, two of which opposed... when the truth of the matter is that 10 out of 14 counties approved.

Something or somebody needs to put the fear of the Lord back into these newspapers.

(Venango County)

No biased reporting here, is there. Bunch of idiot Chicago area liberals.

I thought I read something like 80(or maybe 80 percent) of the IL counties already have sought CC laws?

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by press1280 View Post
    I thought I read something like 80(or maybe 80 percent) of the IL counties already have sought CC laws?
    In favor of CC or to deny CC?