Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moldy Stock

Default Moldy Stock

I have an old gun that belonged to my grandfather. It has a a synthetic/bakelite type stock and handguard/foregrip (it's from the early 1940s), and it had quite a bit of moldy-looking white scuzz on it. Reeks to high heaven too. Just gross. It was in my grandfather's very humid basement for 10 years after he died. I've tried spraying and scrubbing with some bleach water, and it seems better for a few days or a week, then starts coming back. Any suggestions?

Default Re: Moldy Stock

Scrubbing Bubbles shower cleaner does a great job on mold/mildew. Doesn't harm fiberglass tubs or plastic wall coverings.
    I don't speak English , I talk American!

(Elk County)

It may not be mold, but the plastic itself deteriorating due to moisture. It's an acetate plastic that's unstable chemically in humidity and forms a white powdery deposit and emits a pungent vinegar-like odor (acetic acid).

There is nothing you can do to stop or reverse the effect. Oven drying won't help, and exposure to sunlight will deteriorate the plastic from UV rays. You might slow the progression down by having a Cerakote applicator bead blast the plastic to remove the white powder, then coat with Cerakote. It might buy you a couple-few decades if you keep it extremely dry and moisture-free. No guarantees.

Noah
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.

(Centre County)

I agree with Noah on the plastic itself is deteriorating and doing a Cerakote temporary job, but I would seriously consider just restocking it. Some more info (make, model, caliber, etc. (the more the better) might help us give better advice on what you might want to do. If it's an heirloom you want to keep and shoot, restocking might be the best way to go. If it something you want to sell, then restocking probably would make it an easier sell.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

Thanks both of you for the information and suggestions. I haven't had it out in months, I banished it to a dark closet a year ago because it grossed me out. Took it out today after posting, and white scuzzy stuff is still there, but the smell is not nearly as pungent as I remember it. I'll have to figure out WTH to do with the stock while I keep working on fixing the action, which is in sad shape as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Xringshooter View Post
    I agree with Noah on the plastic itself is deteriorating and doing a Cerakote temporary job, but I would seriously consider just restocking it. Some more info (make, model, caliber, etc. (the more the better) might help us give better advice on what you might want to do. If it's an heirloom you want to keep and shoot, restocking might be the best way to go. If it something you want to sell, then restocking probably would make it an easier sell.
    It's a Stevens 22/.410 over-under. Guy at the gun range told me years ago that the synthetic stock ones are slightly more valuable. It's kinda an heirloom, so absolutely no intentions of selling it. My grandfather did not leave much behind.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Noah_Zark View Post
    It may not be mold, but the plastic itself deteriorating due to moisture. It's an acetate plastic that's unstable chemically in humidity and forms a white powdery deposit and emits a pungent vinegar-like odor (acetic acid).

There is nothing you can do to stop or reverse the effect. Oven drying won't help, and exposure to sunlight will deteriorate the plastic from UV rays. You might slow the progression down by having a Cerakote applicator bead blast the plastic to remove the white powder, then coat with Cerakote. It might buy you a couple-few decades if you keep it extremely dry and moisture-free. No guarantees.

Noah
    ^^^ If this is the case, perhaps you can vacuum-seal the old ones for storage and order replacement stocks for use? Not sure how practical that is- I'd guess the stocks you need aren't as common as an AK variant for example

(Berks County)

Noah
    Is that what the old craftsman screwdriver handles were made of?
    The Gun is the Badge of a Free Man

(Allegheny County)

Noah
    Damn dude. You never cease to amaze me with your firearms knowledge.

(Elk County)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunsnwater View Post
    Is that what the old craftsman screwdriver handles were made of?
    Dunno. I didn't always buy tools*, but when I did I bought real screwdrivers, not Sears screwdrivers.

*Sadly, sometimes I inherited them.

Noah
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast