Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    (Chester County)

Default Re: Control of Recoil

Quote Originally Posted by oldengineer View Post
    I'm also 80 with small hands and bad eyes and have a variety of semi automatics ranging in size from a PPSM2 to a 1911. I personally think the handgun I shoot most accurately is a Gen 4 Glock 22. It has a large grip but it helps me get a big part of my left palm on it and keep it stable through trigger pull. I have a Lone Wolf 9mm conversion barrel for it and it shoots them fine with Glock 17 mags.
    Does the trigger finger easily sets on the trigger. If I don't twist my wrist around, the index finger pushes against the trigger to drag against the trigger guard and won't shoot.

(Philadelphia County)

had an idea for muzzle control assist (ultimately i think training and practice are the best ways, mind you) it was a "gas pedal" that attaches to the 1913 rails of a pistol.. your support hand thumb would sit on it in "thumbs forward" shooting hold - but think it would not be a good idea for carry (would stick out/ potentially snap) and concern it could break/ come off during operation (very unsafe)... designed an STL for it in CAD and was going to print one and try - but i like having all my fingers.

an alternative to mounting is to take a pin in the frame and essentially recreate it w a gas pedal nub - this way it is functional (actual pin) and it is secure across the frame... think there is an aftermarket company that makes them for several models - know there is one for Sig models

(Chester County)

I'm going to start testing support with index against the trigger guard and under the frame.

(Susquehanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by ideaman View Post
    I'm going to start testing support with index against the trigger guard and under the frame.
    It's torque. Just the same as torquing down the lug nuts on your car, lengthen the "handle" and you increase the torque. So the shorter the distance from the center-line of the barrel to the center of your hand the less "muzzle-rise" you'll get. So start with your strong hand grip as high as you can get without getting bit by the slide or hammer. Then your support hand puts all its pressure through your fore and ring fingers on your strong hand and pulling straight back, not down!

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

(Chester County)

What I've been doing for strength, by using a 1/2" thick 3 feet long band, hooking a "D" ring on the trigger bar. Left hand support hand hold only, band pulls sideways holding 1- minute. One minute hold each, shooting hand on pulling left and right.

Using MP 9mm 2.0 compact 4" barrel. Right shooting hand from palm to 3rd finger 6 1/4". Left support 6 7/8". Nuns changed me from left to right, I don't want to change now.
    Last edited by ideaman; April 5th, 2021 at 02:18 PM.

(Chester County)

Today after 300 rds I FOUND IT!

At 7 yards I couldn't do it using with both hands. Went to one hand, then I was hitting 2" circle using ONE HANDED. , I used a hard Grip with the 3rd finger down to pinky and the thumb web pressed hard on the gun's neck. Then I started trying two hands, had to think of only of the one hand shooting grip first, then had to think of adding the support hand. Got practice to do.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by ideaman View Post
    Today after 300 rds I FOUND IT!

At 7 yards I couldn't do it using with both hands. Went to one hand, then I was hitting 2" circle using ONE HANDED. , I used a hard Grip with the 3rd finger down to pinky and the thumb web pressed hard on the gun's neck. Then I started trying two hands, had to think of only of the one hand shooting grip first, then had to think of adding the support hand. Got practice to do.
    Funny but I was taught the one hand shooting technique for the 45 back in boot camp in 1958. IIRC one of it's advantages is presenting a smaller profile for your opponent to shoot at. I use it occasionally myself today with pretty good results. I see a few guys at the club who use it exclusively.
    NRA Life Member

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by oldengineer View Post
    Funny but I was taught the one hand shooting technique for the 45 back in boot camp in 1958. IIRC one of it's advantages is presenting a smaller profile for your opponent to shoot at. I use it occasionally myself today with pretty good results. I see a few guys at the club who use it exclusively.
    I recalled at 1959 shooting Colt 45. First shot hit target, 2nd shot blew the base of the 2x4. Bad bushings. So we shot at the sand sharks.

Jerry's grip technique and advice is spot on for most people with large hands like I have. However, having a tendon reattached in my thumb of my support hand along with avoiding having the surgery for a decade and arthritis in both hands can sure change how you shoot a handgun over time. I'll never shoot super fast and have to shoot going against his advice. But..........I still shoot. You do what you have to do.
    Engineers make things idiot proof! Evolution makes better idiots!

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Boo Vuccla View Post
    Jerry's grip technique and advice is spot on for most people with large hands like I have. However, having a tendon reattached in my thumb of my support hand along with avoiding having the surgery for a decade and arthritis in both hands can sure change how you shoot a handgun over time. I'll never shoot super fast and have to shoot going against his advice. But..........I still shoot. You do what you have to do.
    Nature: Use it or lose it.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast