Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
    (Chester County)

Default Re: Doesn’t look like ammo prices will be going down anytime soon.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyF View Post
    I can still recall the sting of paying about $.060 / round for Federal .308 premium HPBT match for several precision rifles courses I attended back in the day. Charging $1.00 / round for 9mm? What a revolting development.
    Hopefully you*re a capitalist like me who believes that manufactures and suppliers should take what the market will bear.

And it*s not price gouging as some would suggest.

Like we commented previously, everyone has their limit and will just stop buying when the price gets high enough.

(Chester County)

There is more than one way to skin a cat also, I just traded a revolver for 1200 rounds of brass cased .223. Did I pay today's equivalent of $.65 or $.75/round × 1200 rounds for the revolver, oh hell NO, and I doubt the man on the other end of the deal paid anywhere near that. Think outside the box, guns you've owned for a decade or more have appreciated in value, if you paid a reasonable price for them initially.

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by TonyF View Post
    I can still recall the sting of paying about $.060 / round for Federal .308 premium HPBT match for several precision rifles courses I attended back in the day. Charging $1.00 / round for 9mm? What a revolting development.
    Quote Originally Posted by JAKIII View Post
    Hopefully you*re a capitalist like me who believes that manufactures and suppliers should take what the market will bear.

And it*s not price gouging as some would suggest.

Like we commented previously, everyone has their limit and will just stop buying when the price gets high enough.
    I do believe in capitalism but this isn't capitalism. At least it's not what Adam Smith had in mind. This is what I call "insensate" capitalism which is what is being practiced in large part around the world today. Case in point is that hedge fund guy who purchased the patent on that AIDS drug and then raised the price 7000%. The point is, one round of 9mm, even factoring in a margin for profit at a reasonable rate of return, does not cost $1.00 to produce.

I get that the ammo makers are reluctant to expand production capacity out of a concern that the demand may eventually diminish and they'll be left with overcapacity, idled assembly lines and laid off workers.

I get that two factors are currently distorting demand, one is several million new gun owners and second is the highly emotional fear many gun owners have that they might not possess enough ammo (or magazines) for TEOTWAWKI, or the imminent civil war () that is brewing between red and blue states.

And yes I get that markets are vulnerable to drama. Is there a way to insulate markets from emotionally unbalanced market forces? I think not. Unfortunately, one needs to look no farther than the stock market.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by eatmydust View Post
    There is more than one way to skin a cat also, I just traded a revolver for 1200 rounds of brass cased .223. Did I pay today's equivalent of $.65 or $.75/round × 1200 rounds for the revolver, oh hell NO, and I doubt the man on the other end of the deal paid anywhere near that. Think outside the box, guns you've owned for a decade or more have appreciated in value, if you paid a reasonable price for them initially.
    you think that's appreciation of value this 80% frame was not $675.00 when I bought it .... apparently it's worth something to someone

Screen Shot 2021-04-07 at 12.19.55 PM.jpg

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456