Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Bringing guns to my shore house in NJ

** mods, I apologize if this is in the wrong forum, I wasn’t sure where to post it.

I am a PA resident going to my 2nd home in NJ this weekend. On rainy days me and the family sometimes go to a local gun range to rent and shoot firearms. I was under the impression that It would be illegal for me to bring my own guns into NJ unless I was traveling through the state to another destination... Last week The “seemingly” knowledgeable fellow that works at the range told me that I could bring guns from Pa as long as the ammo and guns were stored separately and secured and the firearms were not banned in NJ..

Is this true? I don’t want to break any laws(even the ones I hate)

(Delaware County)

Default Re: Bringing guns to my shore house in NJ

I'm not a lawyer but if you own a home there, I believe you can legal transport them there...in proper transit storage, of course. It's Jersey though, so to be safe you may want to consult a Jersey gun lawyer.
    "Everyone is entitled to my opinion." - Gman106
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the face." - Mike Tyson
    "Get the hell out of my way." - John Galt

(Montgomery County)

If you're going straight to the range and straight back then he's correct. But otherwise he's incorrect.

To transport an unloaded handgun you need to meet an exemption, usually being going to/from a range. To transport a long gun you need to meet an exemption, usually possessing your NJ FOID card or going to/from a range. You'll never be able to legally bring your handgun to NJ. I don't believe traveling between two residences even qualifies as an exemption, unless you're actually moving. Unless maybe you go from PA to range to shore house. Not PA to shore house to range. This would obviously be more for leaving a firearm at the shore house, not bringing it back and forth each weekend.

What you can do though is apply for your NJ FOID card through the NJSP and then this would allow you to transport a long gun (no handguns) back and forth to your vacation home.

No hollowpoints or >10 round mags.

As you can see it's overall playing with fire. Consulting a lawyer is definitely worth it.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Gman106 View Post
    I'm not a lawyer but if you own a home there, I believe you can legal transport them there...in proper transit storage, of course. It's Jersey though, so to be safe you may want to consult a Jersey gun lawyer.
    not unless you're moving.....

e. Nothing in subsections b., c., and d. of N.J.S.2C:39-5 shall be construed to prevent a person keeping or carrying about the person's place of business, residence, premises, or other land owned or possessed by the person, any firearm, or from carrying the same, in the manner specified in subsection g. of this section, from any place of purchase to the person's residence or place of business, between the person's dwelling and place of business, between one place of business or residence and another when moving, or between the person's dwelling or place of business and place where the firearms are repaired, for the purpose of repair.  For the purposes of this section, a place of business shall be deemed to be a fixed location.

(Berks County)

IANAL but I would just stick to renting theirs and shooting them if you must shoot there. Even if you're right, they'll treat you like you're wrong unless/until you prove otherwise.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Bucks County)

I believe you can transport DIRECTLY to and from your property and/or the gun range. A google search came up with several gun lawyers in NJ, probably best to call one and try to get some basic info

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
    IANAL but I would just stick to renting theirs and shooting them if you must shoot there. Even if you're right, they'll treat you like you're wrong unless/until you prove otherwise.
    Yup. The only situation I would encourage is to get the FOID card for keeping a compliant rifle or shotgun at the house for defense/SHTF while you're there. Otherwise renting is really the best bet.

(Pike County)

Lot of FUD going on here. The NJSP publishes explicit guidelines for out of state transport of firearms. NJ laws apply WHEN YOU REACH YOUR DESTINATION, while you are travelling you are covered by federal law. If you are legal when you depart and legal when you arrive you are ok during the trip if you follow the laws for transportation (locked, separate containers etc.)

The NJ Supreme Court has held that FOPA is an affirmative defense, meaning if you do something stupid and get arrested you are pleading guilty if you refer to your federal rights. Don't do anything stupid lol.

NJSP link:
    https://www.njsp.org/firearms/transport-firearm.shtml

I've had properties in NJ and PA for twenty years.

ETA - IANAL.

OP: I am assuming that you personally own the NJ home in question.

I am also a dual resident of NJ and PA. I own homes in both states. I have a NJ FID & DL, and PA LTCF. I regularly transport both long guns and handguns between both residences because I'm a resident of both states. When transporting firearms from PA to NJ:

They must be unloaded and secured (cased) in your vehicle. If your vehicle doesn't have a trunk, they must be completely out of the driver's reach. And if not in the trunk I strongly suggest the case be locked.
    The firearms must be legal in NJ, belong to you, and have been legally purchased.
    Your NJ destination must either be a home you own, a FFL, or a legitimate gun range. (A shore rental house won't qualify.)
    A NJ FID is not required for any of the above.

You DO need an FID to just drive around NJ with a long gun in your vehicle, secured as described above, when NOT headed to or from one of the above locations. The FID does NOT permit you to just drive around with handguns under any circumstance.

One more thing: I strongly recommend you do NOT bring hollow points from PA into NJ in the scenario you described. Although the exceptions for transportation to and from the place of purchase, your home and a gun range exist, if a police officer in NJ finds hollow points in your vehicle you will probably have an irritating day. If you have a PA driver's license he won't know for sure if your 'story' is true, and may err on the side of taking you in to find out.

If you intend to keep this NJ home and use firearms, I would strongly recommend you get a NJ FID (either resident or non-resident depending on your DL) for the same reason as hollow points. Although legal, on scene interpretation by LE may be wrong, as are some of the previous posts. And it (currently) only costs $5.

NJ has so many convoluted restrictions people in and out of state become terrified and frequently make up stuff that's worse than it is. You need not take my word
    for any of the above. Read the NJ statutes.
    "You gotta be alive to get paid."

I wouldn't do it without an NJ FOID, at the very least. NJ sucks. And FOPA only applies if NJ is not your final destination; they actively prosecute people, especially at the airports when checked baggage containing unloaded guns is handed to stranded passengers when the plane unexpectedly lands in NJ when they bought a ticket to a free state.

It's safer to transport bales of weed in NJ than guns.
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast