Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Re: Bringing guns to my shore house in NJ

They certainly don*t make things easy...

Can I travel through New Jersey with my firearms?

Yes. With no unreasonable deviations from your travels you may drive through New Jersey with any type firearm or ammunition. If New Jersey is the State of destination, then the firearms must be legal in this State.

So, Legal meaning no AW or legal meaning I have a permit from NJ

Thanks for the feedback. I am going to try to talk with a NJ lawyer before I leave.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by 45Doll View Post
    OP: I am assuming that you personally own the NJ home in question.

I am also a dual resident of NJ and PA. I own homes in both states. I have a NJ FID & DL, and PA LTCF. I regularly transport both long guns and handguns between both residences because I'm a resident of both states. When transporting firearms from PA to NJ:

They must be unloaded and secured (cased) in your vehicle. If your vehicle doesn't have a trunk, they must be completely out of the driver's reach. And if not in the trunk I strongly suggest the case be locked.
    The firearms must be legal in NJ, belong to you, and have been legally purchased.
    Your NJ destination must either be a home you own, a FFL, or a legitimate gun range. (A shore rental house won't qualify.)
    A NJ FID is not required for any of the above.

You DO need an FID to just drive around NJ with a long gun in your vehicle, secured as described above, when NOT headed to or from one of the above locations. The FID does NOT permit you to just drive around with handguns under any circumstance.

One more thing: I strongly recommend you do NOT bring hollow points from PA into NJ in the scenario you described. Although the exceptions for transportation to and from the place of purchase, your home and a gun range exist, if a police officer in NJ finds hollow points in your vehicle you will probably have an irritating day. If you have a PA driver's license he won't know for sure if your 'story' is true, and may err on the side of taking you in to find out.

If you intend to keep this NJ home and use firearms, I would strongly recommend you get a NJ FID (either resident or non-resident depending on your DL) for the same reason as hollow points. Although legal, on scene interpretation by LE may be wrong, as are some of the previous posts. And it (currently) only costs $5.

NJ has so many convoluted restrictions people in and out of state become terrified and frequently make up stuff that's worse than it is. You need not take my word
    for any of the above. Read the NJ statutes.

Yes, I personally own the house. I do think I will be applying for a FID in the near future..

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by RobW View Post
    Lot of FUD going on here. The NJSP publishes explicit guidelines for out of state transport of firearms. NJ laws apply WHEN YOU REACH YOUR DESTINATION, while you are travelling you are covered by federal law. If you are legal when you depart and legal when you arrive you are ok during the trip if you follow the laws for transportation (locked, separate containers etc.)

The NJ Supreme Court has held that FOPA is an affirmative defense, meaning if you do something stupid and get arrested you are pleading guilty if you refer to your federal rights. Don't do anything stupid lol.

NJSP link:
    https://www.njsp.org/firearms/transport-firearm.shtml

I've had properties in NJ and PA for twenty years.

ETA - IANAL.
    The NJSP's guidelines really don't tell the full story and are dangerously misleading. I think the statutes are really what you want to focus on.

Also I'm not confident FOPA could be used in this situation.

OP: I am assuming that you personally own the NJ home in question.

I am also a dual resident of NJ and PA. I own homes in both states. I have a NJ FID & DL, and PA LTCF. I regularly transport both long guns and handguns between both residences because I'm a resident of both states. When transporting firearms from PA to NJ:

They must be unloaded and secured (cased) in your vehicle. If your vehicle doesn't have a trunk, they must be completely out of the driver's reach. And if not in the trunk I strongly suggest the case be locked.
    The firearms must be legal in NJ, belong to you, and have been legally purchased.
    Your NJ destination must either be a home you own, a FFL, or a legitimate gun range. (A shore rental house won't qualify.)
    A NJ FID is not required for any of the above.

You DO need an FID to just drive around NJ with a long gun in your vehicle, secured as described above, when NOT headed to or from one of the above locations. The FID does NOT permit you to just drive around with handguns under any circumstance.

One more thing: I strongly recommend you do NOT bring hollow points from PA into NJ in the scenario you described. Although the exceptions for transportation to and from the place of purchase, your home and a gun range exist, if a police officer in NJ finds hollow points in your vehicle you will probably have an irritating day. If you have a PA driver's license he won't know for sure if your 'story' is true, and may err on the side of taking you in to find out.

If you intend to keep this NJ home and use firearms, I would strongly recommend you get a NJ FID (either resident or non-resident depending on your DL) for the same reason as hollow points. Although legal, on scene interpretation by LE may be wrong, as are some of the previous posts. And it (currently) only costs $5.

NJ has so many convoluted restrictions people in and out of state become terrified and frequently make up stuff that's worse than it is. You need not take my word
    for any of the above. Read the NJ statutes.
    Based on what I posted in #4 I just don't believe going between homes unless when moving is an exemption.

You are covered going:
    1) from place of purchase to business or residence
    2) between dwelling and business
    3) from one business or residence to another when moving
    4) between business or dwelling to place of repair

Of course it's absolute bullshit, but I just don't see going between residences as covered unless it's a long gun and you have your FID.

N.J. Stat. § 2C:39-5 is what makes handgun and long gun possession illegal. The rest of it gives exemptions when you are legal.

(Bucks County)

You don't have a home in PRNJ. You have a self-imposed jailhouse to stay in.

We have relatives living in Ocean county. They both applied for FOID months ago. Hers was approved in short order. He gets "we're busy" about his. Fucking assholes.
    There are two kinds of guns. Those I have acquired, and those I hope to.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    I wouldn't do it without an NJ FOID, at the very least. NJ sucks. And FOPA only applies if NJ is not your final destination; they actively prosecute people, especially at the airports when checked baggage containing unloaded guns is handed to stranded passengers when the plane unexpectedly lands in NJ when they bought a ticket to a free state.

It's safer to transport bales of weed in NJ than guns.
    That*s next weekend...

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Bang View Post
    You don't have a home in PRNJ. You have a self-imposed jailhouse to stay in.

We have relatives living in Ocean county. They both applied for FOID months ago. Hers was approved in short order. He gets "we're busy" about his. Fucking assholes.
    Judging by OP's username, at least they're in Cape May County (which is a ceremonial 2nd Amendment Sanctuary county).

Quote Originally Posted by jthrelf View Post
    Based on what I posted in #4 I just don't believe going between homes unless when moving is an exemption.

You are covered going:
    1) from place of purchase to business or residence
    2) between dwelling and business
    3) from one business or residence to another when moving
    4) between business or dwelling to place of repair

Of course it's absolute bullshit, but I just don't see going between residences as covered unless it's a long gun and you have your FID.

N.J. Stat. § 2C:39-5 is what makes handgun and long gun possession illegal. The rest of it gives exemptions when you are legal.
    You're quoting NJS 2C:39-6 e.

"e. Nothing in subsections b., c. and d. of N.J.S.2C:39-5 shall be construed to prevent a person keeping or carrying about his place of business, residence, premises or other land owned or possessed by him, any firearm, or from carrying the same, in the manner specified in subsection g. of this section, from any place of purchase to his residence or place of business, between his dwelling and his place of business, between one place of business or residence and another when moving, or between his dwelling or place of business and place where such firearms are repaired, for the purpose of repair. For the purposes of this section, a place of business shall be deemed to be a fixed location."

A few observations.

First, the idea that you can transport freely between one home you own, and a business you own, but not a second home you own (in NJ) is patently absurd. I don't believe there's ever been a case on this point.
    Second, they don't loosen the exemption in this section with the possession of a FID card.
    Third, women are NOT exempted at all in this case because the statute only uses the pronoun 'his' and 'him'. How's that for 'woke'?

I agree with your assessment; it's absolute bullshit.
    "You gotta be alive to get paid."

(Montgomery County)

You're quoting NJS 2C:39-6 e.

"e. Nothing in subsections b., c. and d. of N.J.S.2C:39-5 shall be construed to prevent a person keeping or carrying about his place of business, residence, premises or other land owned or possessed by him, any firearm, or from carrying the same, in the manner specified in subsection g. of this section, from any place of purchase to his residence or place of business, between his dwelling and his place of business, between one place of business or residence and another when moving, or between his dwelling or place of business and place where such firearms are repaired, for the purpose of repair. For the purposes of this section, a place of business shall be deemed to be a fixed location."

A few observations.

First, the idea that you can transport freely between one home you own, and a business you own, but not a second home you own (in NJ) is patently absurd Don't blame the messenger!. I don't believe there's ever been a case on this point.
    Second, they don't loosen the exemption in this section with the possession of a FID card. That's correct, they loosen it in the main text of § 2C:39-5. A carry permit loosens the illegal handgun possession and a FID card loosens the illegal long gun possession... see link below
    Third, women are NOT exempted at all in this case because the statute only uses the pronoun 'his' and 'him'. How's that for 'woke'?Now you're onto something...

I agree with your assessment; it's absolute bullshit.
    https://casetext.com/statute/new-jer...ion-of-weapons

LOL No blame imparted.
    "You gotta be alive to get paid."

(Chester County)

I have been told by NJ FFL's and a NJ resident FBI agent that I can own a handgun in my PA house, I can also own that handgun in my NJ home, and I can transport the handgun between the two using a locked case, unloaded, ammo separate, trunk of car, etc. Assuming its a legal NJ gun and mag and no hollow points. If I own two homes, it seems to me that when I am at my NJ home, I am at that point a resident of NJ and when I am at my PA home, I am a resident of PA. I pay taxes on my home in NJ so how is that not my residence? Yes, I have a PA DL and can not vote in NJ, but if I were at any point to decide that my move was permanent, which I could at any point, for a period of time I still would have a PA DL and could not vote. True? Or am I missing something?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast