Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Red Dot for S&W SW22?

Hi all,

I picked up a SW22 a while back and figured I'd try a reflex sight with it. I mounted a Burris Fastfire and shot it for a while. I found that I don't really care for it. I'm looking to mount a red dot sight, but I'm struggling to choose one. I was looking at the Leupold RDS or one of the Vortex options. Anyone here using a red dot on their SW22 that can chime in with some info on your experience? Pros, cons, what works, what doesn't, etc.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Red Dot for S&W SW22?

I don't notice much difference between brands when it comes to "using" micro red dots.

If you aren't concerned with cost, buy what you want.
    I wouldn't put a ton of money into a red dot for a 22 though, but that's me.

I bought two of these because they got a decent review (704 Tactical on Youtube) for a budget red dot.
    I won't be using them on anything my life depends on, so why spend $150 for a plinker red dot?
    $34.99 Free shipping $30 and over - Use code "FIRSTIME" for 15% off any order total
    https://pintydevices.com/collections...ht-hrg-5536-bk
    Note that this one powers down after a length of time - the specs do not mention that and I didn't really want that, but for the price, I can't complain.
    Pressing the button brings it back at the previously set brightness. It also has red AND green dot options.

This is the one I wanted, but it wasn't in stock back then.
    $43.99 (before the discount)
    https://pintydevices.com/collections...ht-knc-h51a-bk
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Montgomery County)

I have been using pistol optics for quite some time and I have become fond of one specific model. However, a few questions are in order.

Why did you not like the Fast Fire? What was it not delivering to you that you wanted? How did the dot look to you? (what shape was it) What do you want to accomplish with a red dot?

As a spoiler, I have owned Trijicon RMR (both the red dot and the dual illuminated reticles), a Burris FF3, Vortex Venom and Aimpoints absolutely fantastic ACRO. The ACRO is by far my favorite pistol mounted optic with the green triangle dual illuminated Trijicon RMR as a distant second. However, lots of folks scoff at the price of the ACRO. I like what works best...
    Join the groups protecting your rights from the fools trying to take them from you!

I found that the FastFire actually slowed me down in getting on target. With the stock sights, I could get aligned and on target pretty quick. With the Fastfire, it's taking longer. No issues with seeing the dot, which is nice and distinct. Even after 500 rounds, I'm still not liking it. Since I'd like to use it for range plinking at distance as well as pest control on a friend's farm, quick target acquisition is a must.
    A buddy of mine is loaning me his Athlon Midas TSR3 to try out. I'll see how I do with that, then figure out what I want .

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Durandal View Post
    I found that the FastFire actually slowed me down in getting on target. With the stock sights, I could get aligned and on target pretty quick. With the Fastfire, it's taking longer. No issues with seeing the dot, which is nice and distinct. Even after 500 rounds, I'm still not liking it. Since I'd like to use it for range plinking at distance as well as pest control on a friend's farm, quick target acquisition is a must.
    A buddy of mine is loaning me his Athlon Midas TSR3 to try out. I'll see how I do with that, then figure out what I want .
    Speed with a red dot comes with lots of time and repetition. I run a shot timer and it took me a good for or more thousand rounds of 9mm before I was at the same speed as my irons. What really improved was the ability to make hits at longish ranges (for a handgun). In short, working a red dot is a learned skill. You can practice getting on target without ammo by presenting from a low ready (for example)... it takes time.
    Join the groups protecting your rights from the fools trying to take them from you!