Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Bucks County)

Default Beretta PX4 storm subcompact - first impressions

I picked up a Beretta PX4 storm subcompact today. Yes it is ugly. But so what?

I was looking for something small and it was between this and a cz2075 rami. I happened to run into this one first.

It is small. Grip length reminds me a lot of the ppk/s i used to have. With the magazines in, i get just enough grip that my pinky isn't floating around in space. For its purpose, this is ideal. Smaller is better.

The extended pinky grip thing on the magazine is stupid. I don't like it. Does anybody want to trade a standard magazine for the extended magazine mine came with? Yes. I'm serious. Just be in Bucks please.

The extra grip panels are unnecessary. I tried the large and medium (which is what is on it when it is shipped) and it didn't change the feel enough to matter. Medium went back on. I guess large was mildly better fitting for my hands, but I'm going for small. And really, the difference is minimal. Plus it was a complete pain to get the retainer for the grips off. And they are held in place pretty securely without the retainer. Just too much work all around.

The double action trigger out of the box is EXCELLENT! Smooth and relatively light. It is long. But i knew what i was getting into with this gun and that is why i wanted it.

Being true to myself, i ordered some spare magazines and a decocker only conversion kit. Plus i ordered a few spare parts like recoil spring assemblies.

There are surprisingly no spring kits available. As in should something break, I'm going to be sending the gun back. Not ideal.

I know they are cheap, but i hate the disposable nature of captured guide rod assemblies. I don't care that they are plastic. But seriously, can somebody design one where you can change the springs and reuse the guide rod part?

This is the first pistol i will have owned with a dual recoil spring setup.

I haven't taken it to the range yet. But I'm pretty excited about it.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Beretta PX4 storm subcompact - first impressions

For reference - top Beretta 92fs / middle cz75d pcr / bottom Beretta px4 subcompact

20210327-170930.jpg

-Zach

(Philadelphia County)

the only gun that puts glock blocky claims to shame...

way too oversized for what it delivers, what's next on your list one of those (2) piece VCR units?

(Berks County)

I*ve got a subcompact in .40 . I like it , accurate and fits the role when I need something a little smaller than my PX4 Compact. I*m an old school DA/SA fan vs Striker fired . I only own 1 striker fired handgun and that is my M/P .40.
    Fortuna audaces iuvat
    "Who is John Galt?"
    Deus Vult

(Lehigh County)

Zach, I have a similar stable as yours with the 92SF and PCR, but I have the PX4 compacts as opposed to the sub compact. The PX4's are bulky but they shoot real nice. I really like mine. And I'm in the same school as I prefer DA/SA pistols.

I've carried the PCR and it carries well, but my back has gotten worse over the years to the point where I recently picked up a P365 mainly because it's so light to carry and it doesn't aggravate my back as much.

(Montgomery County)

The PX4 subcompact is the only of the PX4 line that does not have the cool rotating barrel action. The subcompact uses the browning tilting barrel design, due to size I would wager. I have a full sized PX4 LTT Langdon custom pistol and it is absolutely fantastic...
    Join the groups protecting your rights from the fools trying to take them from you!

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by bugout View Post
    the only gun that puts glock blocky claims to shame...

way too oversized for what it delivers, what's next on your list one of those (2) piece VCR units?
    It is definitely not a looker. But it is no bulkier than my other carry options as they all seem to fit the same holster.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeke2A View Post
    I*ve got a subcompact in .40 . I like it , accurate and fits the role when I need something a little smaller than my PX4 Compact. I*m an old school DA/SA fan vs Striker fired . I only own 1 striker fired handgun and that is my M/P .40.
    I've had a few striker fired pistols and inevitably, i get rid of them. For range fun, just run it in single action which is always nicer than striker fired triggers. For carry, just practice with it. And honestly, the trigger is extremely good out of the box which is more than I will say for either of my 92's.

Quote Originally Posted by rckeystone View Post
    Zach, I have a similar stable as yours with the 92SF and PCR, but I have the PX4 compacts as opposed to the sub compact. The PX4's are bulky but they shoot real nice. I really like mine. And I'm in the same school as I prefer DA/SA pistols.

I've carried the PCR and it carries well, but my back has gotten worse over the years to the point where I recently picked up a P365 mainly because it's so light to carry and it doesn't aggravate my back as much.
    The pcr is excellent. I did the cajun trigger with the m-carbo spring kit. The kit was a pain to install. It REALLY helped the double action trigger and actually brought the single action trigger down below what I'd prefer.

Maybe one day when I'm feeling like i could spend 2 hours taking it apart again, I'll play with some of the springs to bring the single action pull up.

Also, the stock cz trigger was awful. Kept nipping my finger. It is all good now.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_NEPhila View Post
    The PX4 subcompact is the only of the PX4 line that does not have the cool rotating barrel action. The subcompact uses the browning tilting barrel design, due to size I would wager. I have a full sized PX4 LTT Langdon custom pistol and it is absolutely fantastic...
    I know. I am a little bummed that it doesn't have the rotating barrel. But if i run into a larger model, i might have to get it. I hear it really keeps muzzle flip down.

-Zach

(Berks County)

Fortuna audaces iuvat
    "Who is John Galt?"
    Deus Vult

(Bucks County)

I took my new gun to the range tonight. I managed to score 3 additional magazines at the range in their used magazines junk bin. Glad i did too. I'll elaborate in a moment.

I only put 50 rounds into the gun. No cleaning... Which is fine since it was clear that Beretta did their test fire and never cleaned it.

The gun was run pretty dry.

I loaded 5 rounds into each of the now 8 magazines. No issue. I had 10 rounds left and started putting an extra round into each magazine.

3 of the magazines wouldn't accept more than 5 rounds. Factory new. The issue is the follower getting caught on the cutout in the magazine where it locks into the gun. Probably some plastic flashing. I'll fix that tomorrow with some sandpaper. This is why you always test your factory new gear.

The gun performed excellent! Seriously. I love that trigger pull! The recoil was easily managed. And honestly, i probably shot this subcompact better than some full size pistols.

I still shoot my 92 better. But apples and oranges.

The decocker is one of the Beretta branded low profile aftermarket ones. It worked as expected and was easier to install than the 92 decocker kits because there are no plungers to fire out.

No hiccups. No jams. The pistol performed excellent!

So... One minor point that i had mentioned previously... The "snap" magazines are absolutely the worst idea ever. What garbage. You have to use it snapped down because otherwise the pointy base digs into your hand. The regular flush base works fine and I have big hands. I preferred the 17 round magazines with no grip spacer over the snap magazine. I wonder if i can swap the base from one of the larger magazines with the snap base and get another flush fit magazine? Plus with the extended magazine, the snap base doesn't matter at all.

Oh, while in the subject of magazines. Most of them did not drop free. I don't know if this is a breaking in thing or a design thing. I'll look into it.

Overall, minus the little bit of tweaking I'll have to do to the magazines, I'm very happy with my purchase.

-Zach

(Bucks County)

Upon further toying, if using the included magazine loader, you can load more than 5 rounds. Once the initial 6th round is loaded, each of the magazines drags a little. After playing with it a little, they run fine.

Should i need to do this? Not really. Was the fix easy? Yep.

-Zach