Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Weekend trip, firearm transportation into MD?

I did some searches and most seem to be from 2013 - 2015. Has anything changed on the status of transporting a hand gun from PA to MD? Unfortunately my brother in law lives in MD and we're headed down Saturday to pick some stuff up and head home Sunday. From everything I've googled it pretty much seems to be a no go unless I was going specifically for hunting or a shooting event? Just posting to see if there's anything I was missing that might have changed?

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Weekend trip, firearm transportation into MD?

I don't believe that's legally possible. Definitely not legal to carry, almost definitely not legal to transport unloaded and locked.

Rifle/shotgun don't know, could be different.

Quote Originally Posted by jthrelf View Post
    I don't believe that's legally possible. Definitely not legal to carry, almost definitely not legal to transport unloaded and locked.

Rifle/shotgun don't know, could be different.
    I knew it wasn't legal to carry, I was just hoping there was a law or way I could just put it in a lock box separate from the ammo and lock in the bed of my truck. From what I'm reading it doesn't look like I can even do that unless there was something I was missing.

(Lackawanna County)

I know it stinks but I would just leave the gun at home. It just isn't worth the potential nightmare that could happen if you get caught with it in MD.

PickingPA Guest

And keep in mind, PA shares records with MD, so when you drive past a cop running plate reader, he will know if the registered owner of that truck from PA is also a LTCF holder. This greatly increases the odds of a fishing expedition simply because of the increased probability of catching a fish.

The only legal way is if you are PASSING THROUGH MD, with NO STOPS and separate/locked according to FOPA.

Leave it at home

Quote Originally Posted by PickingPA View Post
    And keep in mind, PA shares records with MD, so when you drive past a cop running plate reader, he will know if the registered owner of that truck from PA is also a LTCF holder. This greatly increases the odds of a fishing expedition simply because of the increased probability of catching a fish.

The only legal way is if you are PASSING THROUGH MD, with NO STOPS and separate/locked according to FOPA.

Leave it at home
    Yeah that's the conclusion I've pretty much come to. I don't understand why we can't just lock them up in separate safes making them inaccessible while in transit. Once this Covid crap is over with I may just see if I can get an out of state LTCP for MD which I know will be a pita too.

PickingPA Guest

Quote Originally Posted by widgetman101 View Post
    Yeah that's the conclusion I've pretty much come to. I don't understand why we can't just lock them up in separate safes making them inaccessible while in transit. Once this Covid crap is over with I may just see if I can get an out of state LTCP for MD which I know will be a pita too.
    I don’t think they issue out of state permits. Even MD residents have to prove, to an extreme measure, that they absolutely NEED to carry. Sure, they accept applications, they just don’t approve very many.

Leave it at home
    Or be sure to clearly articulate you are PASSING THROUGH MD and FOPA compliant. Likely you're heading to or coming home from DE. Hard for them to argue especially along an Interstate or major highway. Somewhere else is never that far from any point in MD.

PickingPA Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Domer Dad View Post
    Or be sure to clearly articulate you are PASSING THROUGH MD and FOPA compliant. Likely you're heading to or coming home from DE. Hard for them to argue especially along an Interstate or major highway. Somewhere else is never that far from any point in MD.
    Even that is the case, if they feel like tossing your vehicle on the side of the highway, they will.

Cops in anti-states generally believe that THEY are the only ones who have the right to possess a firearm, and the commie state pretty much makes that correct. And for that reason, they tend to be less than receptive to someone using a federal provision to thwart their restrictive nanny state laws.

Even if you are fully legal and FOPA compliant, they can make your day miserable and you may find yourself in a “tell it to the judge” situation. Do not expect a state or local cop to allow you to explain the FOPA and compliance of such, along the side of the road.

Same goes for NJ, although a FOPA pass through trip is not logical in Nj

(Franklin County)

I don*t think they issue out of state permits.
    Yes, they do. And while the process is still not "shall issue", the word is (I live near the border) that it's a little easier to get approval than before, particularly if you are a business owner. I know of at least one PA attorney has his MD carry permit and is also credentialed to practice in MD, including in regards to licensing issuance issues.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast