Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    PickingPA Guest

Default Re: Weekend trip, firearm transportation into MD?

Quote Originally Posted by gnbrotz View Post
    Yes, they do. And while the process is still not "shall issue", the word is (I live near the border) that it's a little easier to get approval than before, particularly if you are a business owner. I know of at least one PA attorney has his MD carry permit and is also credentialed to practice in MD, including in regards to licensing issuance issues.
    I stand corrected, however I’m sure they are few and far between. If he is an attorney who practices firearms issues, I would imagine he has a higher likelihood of approval than the average PA resident who applies

(Chester County)

Don't understand why you would even consider bringing a handgun, locked away or not, if you know it's not ok for Md. Just have a good knife and pepper spray ready and of course harsh language to ward off any threats.

Quote Originally Posted by PickingPA View Post
    And keep in mind, PA shares records with MD, so when you drive past a cop running plate reader, he will know if the registered owner of that truck from PA is also a LTCF holder. This greatly increases the odds of a fishing expedition simply because of the increased probability of catching a fish.
    Not to drag this off topic, but do even the cops in PA have LTCF information come up automatically with drivers license or registration? I've been stopped multiple times since I got my LTCF, including in the middle of the night in the middle of nowhere, and never been asked if I had a weapon. Cops figured I looked sketchy enough to stop me for no good reason, so I'd be kinda surprised that they never asked about a weapon if they automatically knew I had a LTCF.

For the OP, I always play baseball with my dad when I visit him in the People's Republic of New Jersey, do a little batting practice. I make sure to bring my own mitt and baseball, too.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Knightshift View Post
    Don't understand why you would even consider bringing a handgun, locked away or not, if you know it's not ok for Md. Just have a good knife and pepper spray ready and of course harsh language to ward off any threats.
    Louisville Slugger is SOOO much more effective...

...it rides shotgun with me in the vehicle at all times.

Officer: what*s the bat for?
    JAKIII: softball

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by ShadeRabbit View Post
    Not to drag this off topic, but do even the cops in PA have LTCF information come up automatically with drivers license or registration? I've been stopped multiple times since I got my LTCF, including in the middle of the night in the middle of nowhere, and never been asked if I had a weapon. Cops figured I looked sketchy enough to stop me for no good reason, so I'd be kinda surprised that they never asked about a weapon if they automatically knew I had a LTCF.

For the OP, I always play baseball with my dad when I visit him in the People's Republic of New Jersey, do a little batting practice. I make sure to bring my own mitt and baseball, too.
    They do NOT come up automatically in PA. Drivers Licenses and vehicle registrations are not tied to LTCF in any database.

However, dispatch/911 centers may offer them that info from time to time. I've heard "advisories" of LTCF status on the scanner a few times.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    They do NOT come up automatically in PA. Drivers Licenses and vehicle registrations are not tied to LTCF in any database.

However, dispatch/911 centers may offer them that info from time to time. I've heard "advisories" of LTCF status on the scanner a few times.
    So it sounds like this info lives *somewhere* that is accessible to emergency personnel/police... I'm assuming police could look this up in their car during a traffic stop as well, if they wanted.
    -Brandon

Quote Originally Posted by pens87pgh View Post
    So it sounds like this info lives *somewhere* that is accessible to emergency personnel/police... I'm assuming police could look this up in their car during a traffic stop as well, if they wanted.
    There's a phone number right on the front of the LTCF, at least for Montgomery County licenses, that's listed as "Point Of Contact Phone Number" with "(For Law Enforcement Use Only)" listed below it. I always assumed this was how they "checked." Although in this day and age of Big Brother, I'm am kinda surprised it's not automatically linked.

PickingPA Guest

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post

My wife and I have each been pulled over (separately, Lancaster Co & Berks Co). One of the first questions from the officers: “where is your gun?”

Not “are there any weapons in the vehicle?”

No gun stickers or 2A shirt on, no evidence that would lead to reasonable presumption. Just “where’s your gun”, fully aware of gun ownership

In addition, I have asked several active duty LEOs that I know (acquaintances) One told me *some* departments have access to that info, but his doesn’t. Another told me “I can’t discuss that” and yet another told me only PSP has that info at their fingertips

I believe that they do in fact have access to that data, but it seems that they know not to admit to having/using it.

There would be no reason for the state NOT to link that info other than a potential 4th Amendment challenge....which is why they won’t admit it

Very well could be that info came in the way of an advisory from dispatch, but even so...that proves that the data is linked and accessible, in real time, with very little digging.

And since PA shares it’s residents’ data with MD, I conclude that it’s just not worth risking it unless truly “passing through” and fully POFA compliant.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by pens87pgh View Post
    I can say for a fact that Northampton County dispatchers have access to your LTCF info. And they always include that info to the police when running your drivers license.

Quote Originally Posted by widgetman101 View Post
    I did some searches and most seem to be from 2013 - 2015. Has anything changed on the status of transporting a hand gun from PA to MD? Unfortunately my brother in law lives in MD and we're headed down Saturday to pick some stuff up and head home Sunday. From everything I've googled it pretty much seems to be a no go unless I was going specifically for hunting or a shooting event? Just posting to see if there's anything I was missing that might have changed?
    What's the point? Just leave your firearm at home and be done with it. I'm sure you chances of getting into Maryland and back out again unscathed are pretty good.
    Relationships between men and women can be difficult - but not impossible.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast