Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Wayne County)

Default Scope ring height

I have a question about proper scope ring height. I have a Vortex Viper PST 5x25x50 and a set of the high Vortex PMR rings 1.45 inch height.

I was initially going to mount this set up on a Ruger Precision, but decided I might get the Savage 110 Precision or Elite Precision instead.

According to videos I saw the Vortex PMR high rings might be too high, people say get lowest rings possible for best accuracy.

Will these height rings be too high for the Savage?

(Berks County)

Default Re: Scope ring height

Would that not depend on your base? I am not an expert (IANAE) just thinking...if you have a long picatiny rail wouldn't the rings need to be higher than if you had a short one or Weaver bases?
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Wayne County)

https://www.savagearms.com/content?p...ummary&s=57563

The Savage 110 precision comes with a 20moa rail.

(Centre County)

One, You have to have rings that will, inconjuction with the base, be high enough so that the objective lense doesn't touch the barrel.

Two, With a bolt gun, you want to have the scope high enough that it doesn't interfere with the operation of the bolt.

Three, You want it placed so that when you get a good cheek weld you can see through the scope properly. If you're moving around a lot trying to get a good view through the scope then you need to fix that.

All three things need to work together to give you the best performance of you, the rifle and the scope. Sometimes something has to be compromised but there are accessories out there that can help (say a cheek pad to raise your head to give you a good cheek weld and view through the scope).
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Wayne County)

Quote Originally Posted by Xringshooter View Post
    One, You have to have rings that will, inconjuction with the base, be high enough so that the objective lense doesn't touch the barrel.

Two, With a bolt gun, you want to have the scope high enough that it doesn't interfere with the operation of the bolt.

Three, You want it placed so that when you get a good cheek weld you can see through the scope properly. If you're moving around a lot trying to get a good view through the scope then you need to fix that.

All three things need to work together to give you the best performance of you, the rifle and the scope. Sometimes something has to be compromised but there are accessories out there that can help (say a cheek pad to raise your head to give you a good cheek weld and view through the scope).
    Will having the scope too high affect accuracy or anything?

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Will3212 View Post
    Will having the scope too high affect accuracy or anything?
    [disclaimer: I'm not a big rifleman]

Not that I'm aware of. You might have to change the elevation down on your scope a bit more during your zero, but I doubt you'll run out of adjustment. On a non long range gun (like an AR or PCC), a really high optic can affect really close ranges (<25 yards) via bore/sight offset (your close range shots will hit more below point of aim).

Biggest impact is your cheek weld.

(Montgomery County)

High rings do not impact accuracy, they impact the sight line in relation to the bore. The closer the sight line is to the bore the less "offset" there will be. A sight line as low to the bore as possible makes for a less complicated shooting experience. For example, the AR15 flat top with a red dot mounted at "normal" height. If it is zeroed at 25 yards, the bullet will impact about 10 inches high at 100. Why? Because there is a height difference between the optic (sighting plane) and the bore. Learn more here...

https://www.shootingillustrated.com/...lls-solutions/