Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    (Carbon County)

Default Re: Mossberg Shockwave, What Gauge, Worth Buying?

Quote Originally Posted by Gunsnwater View Post
    If gun Jesus told you not to have an abortion would you listen?
    Not the worst guy doing videos, actually has some good history there at times. I take him with a grain of salt. He is too young for experience, so there is a lot of "Written history" there. It shows when he grabs a hold of something you are very familiar with.

(Luzerne County)

I have an old Mossberg 500 - old enough that it does not say Model 500 anywhere on it. It is a Country Squire (really it is a 500. All the parts interchange). I had a hankering for a Shockwave. The question was*.what do you do with the thing once you own it? I did not see the sense in spending the $ on a gun that i would not use much. But*.I had an 18 inch barrel and a forend kit sitting on the shelf. Hmmmm, I said to myself.
    I bought a raptor grip and changed to the shorter barrel, added the *tactical* forend. So there i had what was basically a Shockwave, albeit with a barrel that was four inches longer. Cost: a new forend and a raptor grip. I will live with four inches more barrel for the savings involved.
    The gun, 12 gauge, is not particularly fun to shoot regardless of how it is held. I added the rubber plug allowing Minishells. That helps.
    “Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games.”Hemingway ...

(Carbon County)

I spend money on guns that I won't use and I think will go up in value, but unless they ban them, I can't see the investment there either. Not my money so I don't really care.

(Northampton County)

I have a 12 gauge shockwave, bought the wife a .410 gauge model, now I really want a 20gauge just because I do not have one.

If I had to use a shotgun or Shockwave for self defense at legal range, I would go Shockwave.

Once you learn to properly shoot one, they are much easier to point aim, and shoot, plus no pounding on your shoulder.

Just my opinion, the opinion of others will vary.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Pete D. View Post
    ....The gun, 12 gauge, is not particularly fun to shoot regardless of how it is held. I added the rubber plug allowing Minishells. That helps.
    Funny your write that. In all my years of being involved with firearms, I never owned...or for that matter shot...a shotgun. I rented one a few months ago at my location range. It was a full size 12 gauge. Put literally just a few shells through and stopped. Hated it. Took all the interest of having a Shockwave out of my mind. Maybe at some point a 20 or 410....

I want to be able to shoot and enjoy my firearms....a 12 gage didn't fit that bull.

(Allegheny County)

the s model is designed to cycle mini shells without a opsol

(Wayne County)

Quote Originally Posted by MattMPA View Post
    Funny your write that. In all my years of being involved with firearms, I never owned...or for that matter shot...a shotgun. I rented one a few months ago at my location range. It was a full size 12 gauge. Put literally just a few shells through and stopped. Hated it. Took all the interest of having a Shockwave out of my mind. Maybe at some point a 20 or 410....

I want to be able to shoot and enjoy my firearms....a 12 gage didn't fit that bull.
    20 guage is MUCH softer and .410 is a dream!

I shoot the 20 guage and I have some fairly moderate arthritis in my hands. It doesn't bother me much with the raptor grip. I never shot a pistol gripped 20, but I imagine that, with that grip angle, it would make my hands ache. A few degrees of angle make a big difference.
    Sed ego sum homo indomitus

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Sandcut View Post
    20 guage is MUCH softer and .410 is a dream!

I shoot the 20 guage and I have some fairly moderate arthritis in my hands. It doesn't bother me much with the raptor grip. I never shot a pistol gripped 20, but I imagine that, with that grip angle, it would make my hands ache. A few degrees of angle make a big difference.
    Well, despite less than kind comments from friends about .410s...perhaps something I should consider...

(Chester County)

Paul Harrell gives his opinion with data on shotgun usage for home defense. 10 minute video and he adds in the Shockwave as part of the mix. The Shockwave definitely has some value to it because of it's size and firepower. It's not for every one or every situation. It's a very specialized piece of equipment and does well in it's intended purpose, a small package with high firepower. I have fired the 12 gauge and it's about the same as any 12 gauge pump I own or have fired as far recoil goes. You need to have sturdy hands and arms but it's not overwhelming. When it comes to recoil many make out a 12 gauge to be a 1911 that can shoot through three houses, two cars and knock you back 25 yards. Proper stance and position of firearm is needed to fire any non semi auto 12 gauge. You're not going to be the AR15 guy that puts the gun on his family jewels and pull the trigger. Would I own one? Maybe but it's not a high priority since I already have some 12 gauge shotguns that fill the home defense capability already and more than enough to fill the hunting genre.

A Goose Anonymous gun in recovery.

Corruption is the default behavior of government officials. JPC

(Wayne County)

Quote Originally Posted by MattMPA View Post
    Well, despite less than kind comments from friends about .410s...perhaps something I should consider...
    My next door neighbor liked my 20 guage Charles Daly so much, we went out and got him the .410. I've shot it and it is a sweet gun. Much more managable than even the 20 guage.

But, I enjoy shooting .410s in general and love hunting with my H&R Tamer .410.
    Sed ego sum homo indomitus

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast