Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast
    (Luzerne County)

Default Re: Mossberg Shockwave, What Gauge, Worth Buying?

Ithaca Mag !0.......now that is a thumper.
    Mossberg Shockwave.....Not particularly fun to shoot. Any application (hunting, Trap, SCs, HD) is a compromise. They are Kool, no doubt.
    The 18" barrel idea is a better, more versatile, option all around.
    Personally, I took an old M500, picked up an after market fore end and grip, threw on an 18" barrel that I had and there I had a Shockwave + 4". Works for me. Rarely shoot the thing. Other shotguns do their jobs better. But...It is Kool.
    “Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games.”Hemingway ...

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by Pete D. View Post
    Ithaca Mag !0.......now that is a thumper.
    Mossberg Shockwave.....Not particularly fun to shoot. Any application (hunting, Trap, SCs, HD) is a compromise. They are Kool, no doubt.
    The 18" barrel idea is a better, more versatile, option all around.
    Personally, I took an old M500, picked up an after market fore end and grip, threw on an 18" barrel that I had and there I had a Shockwave + 4". Works for me. Rarely shoot the thing. Other shotguns do their jobs better. But...It is Kool.

Don't think of a Mossberg Shockwave as a shotgun, since as you have already stated, it does not do that job very well for many reason.

Think of it as a very large caliber pistol that requires a special technique and plenty of practice to fully appreciate its value.

It is ideal for close in self defense, with any of its "chamberings", but it may not fit all situations.

Just my opinion, it really shines as "truck gun" in urban environments or other situations that may result in close range violent encounters with one or more violent "bad guys"; you are in a situation that does not allow escape.

Ideally, any/all bad situations can be avoided, but for those instances it is not possible, I find my 12gause shockwave very comforting to have with me.

Just my opinion, the opinions and experiences of others may vary.

Thank You

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by MattMPA View Post
    Well guys, I searched and didn't find what I was after.

I don't own a shotgun...which I suppose means I need one. Not necessarily for home defense.

I was thinking I'd like a Shockwave, just because. While I've never fired one, I think they're cool. And, I figure it's a matter of time before rules change and they cannot be sold any longer. Which, was one of the reasons I was considering one now.

The Shockwave is a neat firearm but kind of impractical. The recoil can be harsh.

Free recoil is a function of the mass of the firearm. Any two firearms, same round, same barrel length, the lighter the firearm, the more the free recoil.

I would stick to a tried and trusted 18" pump shotgun. Pick the furniture that you like.

I prefer Mossberg but Remington and the like are fine too.

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Pete D. View Post
    Ithaca Mag 10.......now that is a thumper.
    I got to shoot one of those at a rental place. The owner cut the barrel down. Felt like I was smacked with a hammer when I shot it.

It was interesting but not something I would want to spend a day shooting.

(Montgomery County)

I have a 500 that I converted to a Shockwave like gun.

Barrel is 18.5" (legal regardless of furniture), the "breacher" barrel that sort of resembles a flash hider, and then of course the Shockwave grip.

I think it's a load of fun but it's not in my list of first grabs for defense.

Looks kind of like this

MB50661.jpg
    Last edited by bluetrane2028; September 11th, 2022 at 05:59 PM.

(Wayne County)

Quote Originally Posted by GeneCC View Post
    The Shockwave is a neat firearm but kind of impractical. The recoil can be harsh.

Free recoil is a function of the mass of the firearm. Any two firearms, same round, same barrel length, the lighter the firearm, the more the free recoil.

I would stick to a tried and trusted 18" pump shotgun. Pick the furniture that you like.

I prefer Mossberg but Remington and the like are fine too.
    The recoil on a 12 guage would be harsh, yes. A 20 guage is managable (and I have arthritic hands) and a .410 is a dream to shoot.

It's not the style that is harsh to shoot, it's the bore.
    Sed ego sum homo indomitus

(Montgomery County)

12g mini mags.

It's a game changer.

(Northampton County)

If you learn the correct push/pull technique, in my opinion a 12-gauge shockwave is easier ont eh shoulder because there is no shoulder contact and far more usage for close in self-defense.

I have hundreds of rounds of 00 buck and slugs through my 12-gauge shockwave and thousands of rounds through regular pump shotguns in my lifetime and hands down, my opinion is hard beat.

Just my opinion based upon my experiences, the opinions of others may be different.

I was not a fan of the Shockwave when it came out. I'd shot a friend's 12GA and didn't like the way it handled, or the recoil, or the grip. Still, I wanted a compact shotgun for HD, so I bought a Kel Tec KS7 instead. I wanted something that could run full size and mini shells. The KS7 fit the bill, but I found it to be awkward and slow to load for me as a lefty. Mainly because the shell stop is situated in a way that it gouges my thumb when loading the tube. My wife, who is a righty, doesn't have that problem.

I came across this video from Forgotten Weapons where Ian tests out Demonstrated Concepts' unique shooting method with the Shockwave.

It piqued my interest enough that I bought a 12GA Shockwave last week, along with a recoil strap (not the Demonstrated Concepts one -$35 is too much for that). Haven't gotten to the range to test it out yet because my recoil strap just shipped this morning, but I figured one of two things will happen. A) The Demonstrated Concepts method works and I've got myself a shotgun that can run mini shells for HD. B) I don't like the DC method and I file a Form 1 and turn it into an SBS. I'm leaning towards the SBS, but I'm also keeping an open mind. Either way, there will probably be a KS7 in the classifieds soon.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by icp4life162005 View Post
    12g mini mags.

It's a game changer.
    I've never owned a shotgun, but have heard of mini shells. How different is the recoil?

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast