Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    (Franklin County)

Default Re: Mossberg Shockwave, What Gauge, Worth Buying?

Quote Originally Posted by Sandcut View Post
    So, obviously, you're speaking from a position of having shot one more than once. I can tell this by your statements of authority that is clearly more superior to those of us here who have used one and like it.

Thank you for correcting our ignorance. All the time that we spent shooting them, we have been wrong.
    Yes, I have shot them. What does "liking" it mean? If you enjoy Mad Maxing it at the range, by all means have a blast. I surely own many guns with no practical purpose. What I have a problem with is when companies, and individuals, promote these as superior defensive shotguns. They are not. Have you watched Ian Mccollum's video on the topic? You know, "Gun Jesus"? One of the most knowledgeable gun guys out there. Ultimately everyone has the right to choose what they want.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYjThckYqBQ&t=773s

(Carbon County)

My old Marlin 1898, Stevens 520, and Winchester '97 work for me. Slam fire rules!

I have a 12ga Shockwave, and like it. It's good for close quarters, and agree it's much different to shoot than a standard "stocked" full size shotgun. Have a good, tight grip/foward tension (if that makes sense) on the fore end, and you'll be fine. Can be a challenge to find ranges that will let you shoot them sometimes (at least in communist MD). I've had fun with mine !

(Wayne County)

Quote Originally Posted by Hanzy4200 View Post
    Yes, I have shot them. What does "liking" it mean? If you enjoy Mad Maxing it at the range, by all means have a blast. I surely own many guns with no practical purpose. What I have a problem with is when companies, and individuals, promote these as superior defensive shotguns. They are not. Have you watched Ian Mccollum's video on the topic? You know, "Gun Jesus"? One of the most knowledgeable gun guys out there. Ultimately everyone has the right to choose what they want.

All that video showed was that a stocked shotgun was marginally (1.5%) faster than a pistol gripped shotgun. But, pistol gripped shotguns and shockwaves shoot differently from a comfort vs. pain standpoint. And, as the OP asked, " what guage". A 12 guage in either a shockwave or a pistol grip is a handful. Step down to a 20 guage or a .410 bore and they are MUCH more manageable.

Like I said before, if you try to shoot it like a shotgun, you're going to hate it. If you shoot it as it wants to be shot, one can become comfortable with it.

Plus, I can carry my mockwave loaded in my car, lawfully, if I need to. I can't do that with my 870. Sometimes that might be worth the 1.5% tradeoff.
    Sed ego sum homo indomitus

(Jefferson County)

I own a Shockwave, and it does have it's pros and cons.

Pro:
    1. Small package
    2. Considered a "firearm" by PA law, so your LTCF covers it for carrying concealed or in a vehicle(loaded if you wish).
    3. More comfortable to shoot than pistol grip-only if you hold it out away from yourself.
    4. If your intent is to make a Title II AOW, it is a good base to work with. Once you get your stamp, replace the grip for a pistol grip and overall length will be 2-3 inches shorter than stock Shockwave. You can then also shorten the barrel and mag tube, and relocate the bracket back on the barrel btwn the barrel & mag.

Con:
    1. The grip itself doesn't lend itself to comfort if you use your hip or other part of torso to brace.
    2. The Shockwave action is pretty rough and gritty, probably needing a lot of working the system to smooth it out. Definitely not as smooth as Rem 870. (I noticed that 500/590s tend to be like this versus 870s)
    3. Costs more than it should considering you're getting less physical gun than a stocked 500/590, which often cost less.
    4. If the ATF changes their mind, it could end up as an AOW. There is NO wording in the NFA/GCA that limits AOW OAL as 26". In fact, certain Cane Guns(guns disguised as a walking cane) are AOW's because of their concealed nature(they do not appear to be a gun) - there are many over 26". You would be on the hook for having to register it should they change their mind.

One thing I like pistol grips over the Shockwave grip is - if you use your pectoral muscle as a brace, the Shockwave hurts A LOT more doing that. I had trained with a pistol grip in my youth to plant that grip right into my strong side pectoral right above my nipple. Aiming and action working done by weak side. Recoil isn't bad cause your hand and chest muscle(on other side of hand) absorb it and you stay on target. If your dominant eye is same as dominant hand, it lines up really nice.
    Last edited by knight0334; October 11th, 2021 at 02:50 PM. Reason: added Con#4
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Wayne County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    I own a Shockwave, and it does have it's pros and cons.

Pro:
    1. Small package
    2. Considered a "firearm" by PA law, so your LTCF covers it for carrying concealed or in a vehicle(loaded if you wish).
    3. More comfortable to shoot than pistol grip-only if you hold it out away from yourself.
    4. If your intent is to make a Title II AOW, it is a good base to work with. Once you get your stamp, replace the grip for a pistol grip and overall length will be 2-3 inches shorter than stock Shockwave. You can then also shorten the barrel and mag tube, and relocate the bracket back on the barrel btwn the barrel & mag.

Con:
    1. The grip itself doesn't lend itself to comfort if you use your hip or other part of torso to brace.
    2. The Shockwave action is pretty rough and gritty, probably needing a lot of working the system to smooth it out. Definitely not as smooth as Rem 870. (I noticed that 500/590s tend to be like this versus 870s)
    3. Costs more than it should considering you're getting less physical gun than a stocked 500/590, which often cost less.

One thing I like pistol grips over the Shockwave grip is - if you use your pectoral muscle as a brace, the Shockwave hurts A LOT more doing that. I had trained with a pistol grip in my youth to plant that grip right into my strong side pectoral right above my nipple. Aiming and action working done by weak side. Recoil isn't bad cause your hand and chest muscle(on other side of hand) absorb it and you stay on target. If your dominant eye is same as dominant hand, it lines up really nice.
    Instead of beating up your chest trying to shoot this like a normal shotgun, shoot it using a "push-pull" technique like this guy discusses with using a stocked shotgun using the "short stock" technique. Go to about 2:50. I prefer if I modify it to be more of a "push-push" technique and fire just when I get to shoulder level and extended as far as is comfortable. Much like releasing when you get to "full draw" when shooting a stick bow.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PCqJIW4_K7s

Check out Brobee223's channel on Youtube. He seems to have spent the needed amount of time getting to know this style of firearm. I'd stack him up against any tactical shotgun trainer.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7lj4pzdigi8

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=z7shQkL8FO4
    Sed ego sum homo indomitus

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by Sandcut View Post
    Instead of beating up your chest trying to shoot this like a normal shotgun, shoot it using a "push-pull" technique like this guy discusses with using a stocked shotgun using the "short stock" technique. Go to about 2:50. I prefer if I modify it to be more of a "push-push" technique and fire just when I get to shoulder level and extended as far as is comfortable. Much like releasing when you get to "full draw" when shooting a stick bow.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PCqJIW4_K7s

Check out Brobee223's channel on Youtube. He seems to have spent the needed amount of time getting to know this style of firearm. I'd stack him up against any tactical shotgun trainer.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7lj4pzdigi8

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=z7shQkL8FO4
    I'm going to try a few more shooting stances/methods for sure. I used to be really good with the chest-planted pistol grip, if I can come up with a similar variation where the gun planted I think I can become very proficient with the Shockwave.

I got it to fill a "fun gun" niche, but also as a "I need something more truck gun". Some folks will talk the Shockwave type guns down, some will talk them up. A person who has trained with one can become a good shooter of one, thus negating anything a down-talker can say about one.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Berks County)

If gun Jesus told you not to have an abortion would you listen?
    The Gun is the Badge of a Free Man

Hahahaha.

Never heard of him, took a look at the video and am not impressed.

You missed the mark, the video is not about the Shockwave.

Rick

(Westmoreland County)

I have a 12 ga Shockwave and I love it! It shot fine with the bird head grip, but I spiced it up a little with a GG&G Sba3 adapter. It is an absolute blast to shoot now!

20200321_053934.jpg

20200321_054103.jpg

20200321_053944.jpg

New AR15 Forum! www.AlphaRomeo15.org All AR, No Attitude!

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast