Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    (York County)

Default I buried my father yesterday

I buried my father yesterday. It was a really an impressive ceremony. The funeral procession was almost 2 miles long. Consisting of our family , and of course a whole lot of police officers. Almost 100 cruisers were on hand for the day. The procession ran for about 10 miles from the church to the grave site. Every single cross road and on ramp on rte 15 was closed and at each stood a single officer saluting flag draped casket. Officers from the town of Thurmont, where he held his post, the Frederick County Sheriffs office, where he retired as well as state police, Secret service and states attorney’s detectives where also there.

Once we arrived at the grave site, as a pallbearer my brothers, myself and cousins pulled dad’s casket out and the bag pipes played while the Honor guard played taps, and the flag was folded. My brother and I stood and offered our final salute to our fallen father. His last commander spoke during the funeral and relived him saying “ Lt Brian Williar, your watch has ended, you are relieved”.

My father was a military man as well. He began his career at Ft Benning as a recruit and then went on to airborne infantry school. Eventually being selected to the 1st rifle team in the 3rd Infantry Division. For those of you not familiar with that unit, they are the ones who march at the tomb of the unknown soldier. As well the army’s official ceremony division in Arlington Va. I don’t think I need to explain the significance of Arlington National Cemetery to anyone here.

I knew that my father was going to die and sooner rather than later, but still it was much more of a shock than I expected. I tried explaining it to my wife. Thing is I feel as though there would have somehow been a difference if dad had died 20 or 30 years from now. When an older man loses his “Father” it is one thing. But as I sat there looking at him I realized that my “ Dad” was gone. I still looked to him for advice in matters as mundane as the everyday, and the ones that really mattered. Its hard for me to imagine tomorrow. It was the same when my grandfather died. I did not make the services as I was in basic at the time. But now I feel as though a link to my past is gone, or in some way changed at least. I find myself picturing dad and poppy looking down on me and saying it will be okay. Just remember what we taught you, and try and do right by your family now.

I don’t really know what else to say now. Its just kind of all a blur. But thanks for reading and for all your kind words over the past few weeks.

HC, Mrs Patriot, Fingers, Gander215, soberbyker and so forth. If I left you out sorry. I just got so many PMs and comments from so many people its hard to mention them all.

Dave
    3%

Default Re: I buried my father yesterday

Quote Originally Posted by Brown-Bear View Post
    I buried my father yesterday. It was a really an impressive ceremony. The funeral procession was almost 2 miles long. Consisting of our family , and of course a whole lot of police officers. Almost 100 cruisers were on hand for the day. The procession ran for about 10 miles from the church to the grave site. Every single cross road and on ramp on rte 15 was closed and at each stood a single officer saluting flag draped casket. Officers from the town of Thurmont, where he held his post, the Frederick County Sheriffs office, where he retired as well as state police, Secret service and states attorney’s detectives where also there.

Once we arrived at the grave site, as a pallbearer my brothers, myself and cousins pulled dad’s casket out and the bag pipes played while the Honor guard played taps, and the flag was folded. My brother and I stood and offered our final salute to our fallen father. His last commander spoke during the funeral and relived him saying “ Lt Brian Williar, your watch has ended, you are relieved”.

My father was a military man as well. He began his career at Ft Benning as a recruit and then went on to airborne infantry school. Eventually being selected to the 1st rifle team in the 3rd Infantry Division. For those of you not familiar with that unit, they are the ones who march at the tomb of the unknown soldier. As well the army’s official ceremony division in Arlington Va. I don’t think I need to explain the significance of Arlington National Cemetery to anyone here.

I knew that my father was going to die and sooner rather than later, but still it was much more of a shock than I expected. I tried explaining it to my wife. Thing is I feel as though there would have somehow been a difference if dad had died 20 or 30 years from now. When an older man loses his “Father” it is one thing. But as I sat there looking at him I realized that my “ Dad” was gone. I still looked to him for advice in matters as mundane as the everyday, and the ones that really mattered. Its hard for me to imagine tomorrow. It was the same when my grandfather died. I did not make the services as I was in basic at the time. But now I feel as though a link to my past is gone, or in some way changed at least. I find myself picturing dad and poppy looking down on me and saying it will be okay. Just remember what we taught you, and try and do right by your family now.

I don’t really know what else to say now. Its just kind of all a blur. But thanks for reading and for all your kind words over the past few weeks.

HC, Mrs Patriot, Fingers, Gander215, soberbyker and so forth. If I left you out sorry. I just got so many PMs and comments from so many people its hard to mention them all.

Dave
    You and your family are in my thoughts brother.......

Hang in there, we are here for you.

(Delaware County)

Very sorry to hear about your loss. Remember him at his best, always keep the best times with him in your thoughts and soon enough you will smile when you think of him. I have not lost a parent yet but I have lost both my grandmothers and they meant the world to me ... it is painful but remember he will always be there with you, looking over your shoulder and smiling down on you.

(Chester County)

My condolences to you and your family.

(Armstrong County)

Condolences to you and your family, You are in our prayers
    Ed
    FeedBack: https://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.p...ight=edstephan
    http://forum.pafoa.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3790&dateline=1331561  797An OathKeeper and OC Activist, 1 of the 3%, Ed Stephan

Sympathies to you and your family.
    "The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who are evil but, because of the people who do nothing about them."
    - Albert Einstein

Sorry for your loss our thoughts are with you and yours..
    Ruger SR1911/SR9/Glock 19

(Allegheny County)

Dave,
    I'm very sorry for the loss of your father.

I'm sure it was touching to see such an outpouring of love and respect from those who took part in the ceremony.

I keep typing and deleting, not knowing how to properly express what I'm thinking... perhaps I'll come back to it, and just leave you with my sincere condolences for now.

~EM
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Clarion County)

Condolences to you and your family,don't stop talking to him,he's still there
    for you.My hats off to you sir......

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast