Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Lehigh County)

Default SBR for hunting yotes

I'm having some difficulty finding the law surrounding the use of a sbr for hunting coyotes. I know an AR pistol is off limits, but what about an sbr? Curious to see if any of you may know.

Thanks

(Butler County)

Default Re: SBR for hunting yotes

This is the closest thing I can find in the hunting and trapping digest from the PGC. Maybe it's somewhere else on their site but I'm not seeing it currently.

Screenshot 2021-03-18 at 9.59.39 PM.jpg
    -Brandon

Didn't a law pass where big game can be taken with a rifle (semi auto).

(Butler County)

This forum has all kinds of historical info...

https://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=118158

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    There is no legal barrel length requirement in PA for hunting.

If a 1" snubnosed revolver is legal to hunt with, you can bet a 10" SBR is.
    -Brandon

(Lehigh County)

Pens87 I appreciate the link and I've read that before. However I'm looking for something alittle more concrete to present to a warden if stopped! You know, perhaps the law, and not some guys opinion on a forum. I asked on this forum hoping someone could sight an exact definition, or statue on the question? A document I can present to a warden. I've hunted in alot of different states and pa is by far the most vague!

Thank you!

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba Zanetti View Post
    Pens87 I appreciate the link and I've read that before. However I'm looking for something alittle more concrete to present to a warden if stopped! You know, perhaps the law, and not some guys opinion on a forum. I asked on this forum hoping someone could sight an exact definition, or statue on the question? A document I can present to a warden. I've hunted in alot of different states and pa is by far the most vague!

Thank you!
    I would call the PGC and ask them, right or wrong they're the ones who will be doing you if you get checked.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Butler County)

Thank you!
    hey you asked for help, just trying to dig up what I can find.

Quote Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
    I would call the PGC and ask them, right or wrong they're the ones who will be doing you if you get checked.
    this is definitely the best route given the vagueness the PGC provides. best of luck!
    -Brandon

(Lehigh County)

I contacted my local office and they told me sbr's are good to go. However they wouldn't tell me as to where I could find that info. I found that to be quite funny. Pcg leaves alot to be desired when it comes to defining certain legalities when it comes to hunting. Thanks for the help.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by bogey1 View Post
    Didn't a law pass where big game can be taken with a rifle (semi auto).
    And maybe a guy who just moved to the state should actually call PGC or check their website before asking for random opinions on an Internet gun forum...

(Wyoming County)

I contacted my local office and they told me sbr's are good to go. However they wouldn't tell me as to where I could find that info. I found that to be quite funny. Pcg leaves alot to be desired when it comes to defining certain legalities when it comes to hunting. Thanks for the help.
    I would copy and paste from the PGC "Hunting & Trapping" digest but that feature is apparently disabled.

Here is a link: http://read.nxtbook.com/pgc/huntingt...furtaking.html

You have to read in the furtaking section: "Firearms for hunting furbearers"
    Yes it specifically spells out for coyotes that a semi-auto and manually operated rifles are authorized.

Next if that hasn't appeased your desire for letter of the law, you can then look up and define what a rifle is: You can start with your Post that you are using an "SBR", What does that stand for again?
    "It seems that the Constitution is more or less guidelines than actual rules"
    My feedback: http://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=305685

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast