Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Cumberland County)

Default Norinco SKS(Promag Archangel magazines)

Can anyone tell me if the Promag Archangel SKS duckbill magazines require any permanent modification to a stock Norinco SKS to use(other than obviously taking out the internal magazine)? How reliable are they? Do the lower capacity ones(20 and under) seem to run better than the higher capacity ones? I'm talking the Archangel ones with the built-in release lever, so you can reload with one hand instead of 2.

Specific magazines pictured here: https://gunmagwarehouse.com/media/ca...vx20_right.jpg

Default Re: Norinco SKS(Promag Archangel magazines)

I had to do a little light dremel work on the release fork on the magazines to get them to work smoothly with one hand with my Yugo. Left a slightly bad taste in my mouth overall, but I had no problem reliability-wise at the range with the 35 round ones. Did not shoot hundreds and hundreds of rounds through them though. Have not bought any of the 20 round ones. Hopefully someone can get you a more Norinco-specific answer.

I'm pretty sure you have to watch 922r compliance too if you put an aftermarket detachable mag in also. I swapped some American-made parts into mine to be on the safe side.

FYI, you can reload an SKS incredibly fast with stripper clips with some practice. If I had to take an SKS into a SHTF scenario, I'd honestly be torn as to whether I'd take the Archangel or put the box back in and use stripper clips. That may just be my paranoia from yesteryear though, when most SKS 'detachable' mags were horrifically bad.

Put the video in for reference, guy's fast, despite the fact that he looks and sounds like he's hitting for the wrong side

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7Sr6tSZhDM
    Last edited by ShadeRabbit; March 14th, 2021 at 09:54 PM.

Oh so close to the Delaware River!, New Jersey

I am faster with stripper clips on a yugo too. The mags did not attach easily for me either, and that was with the 20 round magazine.

(Allegheny County)

I have a knock-off 20rd Tapco clone by ProMag, works like a champ, just light fitting of the mag, zero mods to gun
    All of my guns are lubed with BACON GREASE.

Quote Originally Posted by ShadeRabbit View Post
    I had to do a little light dremel work on the release fork on the magazines to get them to work smoothly with one hand with my Yugo. Left a slightly bad taste in my mouth overall, but I had no problem reliability-wise at the range with the 35 round ones. Did not shoot hundreds and hundreds of rounds through them though. Have not bought any of the 20 round ones. Hopefully someone can get you a more Norinco-specific answer.

I'm pretty sure you have to watch 922r compliance too if you put an aftermarket detachable mag in also. I swapped some American-made parts into mine to be on the safe side.

FYI, you can reload an SKS incredibly fast with stripper clips with some practice. If I had to take an SKS into a SHTF scenario, I'd honestly be torn as to whether I'd take the Archangel or put the box back in and use stripper clips. That may just be my paranoia from yesteryear though, when most SKS 'detachable' mags were horrifically bad.

Put the video in for reference, guy's fast, despite the fact that he looks and sounds like he's hitting for the wrong side

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7Sr6tSZhDM
    I like how jerry just dumps them into the magwell
    Derrion Albert was my Hero.