Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Re: Feinstein Promises Assault Weapons Ban After House Passes Background Check Bill

I have a positive note that may have some bearing on pressure being applied to anti-gun politicians.

The millions of new gun purchasers have experienced the horror shows they had to endure to exercise what's left of their constitutional rights. To be threatened with the loss of what they in essence fought for just may be the final indignity that energizes some of them.
    There are two kinds of guns. Those I have acquired, and those I hope to.

(Franklin County)

Default Re: Feinstein Promises Assault Weapons Ban After House Passes Background Check Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Bang View Post
    I have a positive note that may have some bearing on pressure being applied to anti-gun politicians.

The millions of new gun purchasers have experienced the horror shows they had to endure to exercise what's left of their constitutional rights. To be threatened with the loss of what they in essence fought for just may be the final indignity that energizes some of them.
    Or, more likely they will adopt a FUDD attitude that says "it won't happen to my guns".
    The Hostler

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by ray h View Post
    Or, more likely they will adopt a FUDD attitude that says "it won't happen to my guns".
    True ray, but the new gun owners, 5 to 7 million, were not buying "fudd" guns. Most were purchasing guns that are included in the feinswine legislation.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by c45man View Post
    True ray, but the new gun owners, 5 to 7 million, were not buying "fudd" guns. Most were purchasing guns that are included in the feinswine legislation.
    With many long time gun owners too ignorant to understand that these gun bans affect themselves.
    What is the possibility that these new gun owners would understand the same ?
    --ET

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by ett View Post
    With many long time gun owners too ignorant to understand that these gun bans affect themselves.
    What is the possibility that these new gun owners would understand the same ?
    If a new gun owner purchased a handgun with a plus 10 mag or a black rifle, which could be the case more often than not, he or she would know that their new found weapon would be a target of the law by simply seeing pictures of them on the 6 o'clock news.

As far as the fudds, their numbers are shrinking due to death, senility, or physical limititations. Look at the shrinking number of hunters and their style of guns inside shops.

(Franklin County)

I don't think those new gun owners keep up with legislation. I think they bought a gun to keep their family safe or because it is the "cool outlaw" thing to do. I don't think they pay any attention to future legislation, just like Elmer, they won't know there's a problem until the law tells them to register or turn in their gun.
    The Hostler

(Chester County)

If a new gun owner purchased a handgun with a plus 10 mag or a black rifle, which could be the case more often than not, he or she would know that their new found weapon would be a target of the law by simply seeing pictures of them on the 6 o'clock news.

As far as the fudds, their numbers are shrinking due to death, senility, or physical limititations. Look at the shrinking number of hunters and their style of guns inside shops.
    Thankfully true.

The average age of members at my gun club is 60. This year we made a conscious effort to vet younger candidates from the waiting list for membership.

Quote Originally Posted by philadelphia patriot View Post
    I still think the dems are letting their big heads get in their way. If this passes (or if the California AWB challenge filed by FPC) makes it to the Supreme Court, then the dems are setting themselves up for major failure.
    why. scotus will fold like the pussies they are.
    Member: NJ "undocumented" Felons Club. NRA Life Member

(Fayette County)

Quote Originally Posted by sota View Post
    why. scotus will fold like the pussies they are.
    Exactly.
    SCOTUS allowed an entire presidential election to be stolen in front of the whole world and they did nothing about it.
    You think they care about your AR?
    "One must be a fox to recognize traps, and a lion to frighten wolves” ~ Machiavelli

Quote Originally Posted by Bang View Post

For the record, I think you're probably right. But, if this year shows us anything, it's that we have to keep expectations low, action high- i.e. make a rainy day "margin of safety".

So, with that in mind, what we have to be careful of is an "I got mine" attitude. I grew up in NJ, and despite what you may think, at least 50-60% of households in NJ own guns. Probably more now. So they're not anti-gun per se. HOWEVER, virtually everyone is strongly in support of gun control, because "I got mine" and fuck everyone else. And I think that may well be the prevailing attitude of people who bought for the first time recently. Look, they could have bought a gun whenever, but they chose this year (presumably most of them are at least a few years past 18), so clearly they weren't chomping at the bit to be gun owners. They don't view themselves as part of the "gun tribe". Outside of gun clubs and forums like PAFOA, very few gun owners view gun ownership as much of a political issue; certainly not one with existential implications as is the case on this board.

Anecdote time:

A friend in NJ recently died with COVID-19, and I've been talking to his wife to help her get everyone's affairs in order. I always knew she was a (D), but she told me recently her first cousin is [Clinton cabinet member], and she speaks glowingly of everything the (D)'s do. Hates Trump, anything he does pisses her off, etc. And she recently confessed she bought a handgun "because you can never be too safe now that [husband] is gone". Is she gonna vote for pro-2A causes? Fuck no.
    They even have minds but do not think. -Dov Fischer

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast