Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast
    Oh so close to the Delaware River!, New Jersey

Default Re: Feinstein Promises Assault Weapons Ban After House Passes Background Check Bill

Quote Originally Posted by philadelphia patriot View Post
    I still think the dems are letting their big heads get in their way. If this passes (or if the California AWB challenge filed by FPC) makes it to the Supreme Court, then the dems are setting themselves up for major failure.
    Yes. Feinstein's bill is very similar to the California so-called assault weapons ban. Even hi-point carbines are on the chopping block! :-(

(York County)

Default Re: Feinstein Promises Assault Weapons Ban After House Passes Background Check Bill

In order to be "Grandfathered", there would have to be a registration so that they know where they are. No thanks, NEVER !
    Lower your expectations to zero and you'll never be disappointed.

Don*t lose hope, nothing is a given at this point. During the first two Trump years there were a lot of things that people wanted the Republicans to do because because they controlled the house and Senate and were upset because nothing was happening.

The reality was that the Republicans did not have the votes to pass any legislation they wanted because they did not have a supermajority in the Senate. They could not overcome a filibuster on issues that the democrats would filibuster on.

The Democrats are in a similar situation. They control the house and Senate, but do not have a supermajority. The can*t over come a filibuster. That*s why threats of getting rid of the filibuster have come up.

Steve Scalise (a staunch supporter of the 2nd) is the current Republican Whip. When he survived the shooting by the Bernie Sanders supporter his response wasn*t *get rid of guns* it was *I saw guns save me*.

It*s his job as whip to keep other Republicans in line and I think he will do so when it comes to gun control in the Senate. There may be a couple that cross the line. (Toomey will cross the line on Background checks) but I think Scalise will do everything he can to keep at least 41 Republicans on board.

A lot of comments I*ve read online seem to be assuming that because stuff is being passed in the house it is a done deal. It*s not. It sucks that Democrats control the House, It sucks that we lost a line of defense when the democrats took control the Senate. Gun control bills are things that McConnell would not let come to the floor to be voted on. It Sucks that we don*t have a president who would veto any gun control bills.

What doesn*t suck is Republican still have 50 members in Congress. That gives plenty of room for them to filibuster and defeat gun control bills. And we are in much better shape with Scalise as the Whip than we are with someone like a Toomey.

Quote Originally Posted by internet troll View Post
    Don*t lose hope, nothing is a given at this point. During the first two Trump years there were a lot of things that people wanted the Republicans to do because because they controlled the house and Senate and were upset because nothing was happening.

The reality was that the Republicans did not have the votes to pass any legislation they wanted because they did not have a supermajority in the Senate. They could not overcome a filibuster on issues that the democrats would filibuster on.

The Democrats are in a similar situation. They control the house and Senate, but do not have a supermajority. The can*t over come a filibuster. That*s why threats of getting rid of the filibuster have come up.

Steve Scalise (a staunch supporter of the 2nd) is the current Republican Whip. When he survived the shooting by the Bernie Sanders supporter his response wasn*t *get rid of guns* it was *I saw guns save me*.

It*s his job as whip to keep other Republicans in line and I think he will do so when it comes to gun control in the Senate. There may be a couple that cross the line. (Toomey will cross the line on Background checks) but I think Scalise will do everything he can to keep at least 41 Republicans on board.

A lot of comments I*ve read online seem to be assuming that because stuff is being passed in the house it is a done deal. It*s not. It sucks that Democrats control the House, It sucks that we lost a line of defense when the democrats took control the Senate. Gun control bills are things that McConnell would not let come to the floor to be voted on. It Sucks that we don*t have a president who would veto any gun control bills.

What doesn*t suck is Republican still have 50 members in Congress. That gives plenty of room for them to filibuster and defeat gun control bills. And we are in much better shape with Scalise as the Whip than we are with someone like a Toomey.
    Well said. Thank you.

(Bucks County)

Maybe that's what is needed. Shoot at some Dims and maybe they will become pro-2nd.
    There are two kinds of guns. Those I have acquired, and those I hope to.

(Chester County)

Should have sent in more mail in ballots. The democrats figured it out. We should be printing them up until they fill warehouses for election day instead of complaining about losing elections.
    Corruption is the default behavior of government officials. JPC

(Chester County)

I*ve read that there aren*t enough democrat senators who will vote for it (I presume, because they*re up for re-election and realize it*s political suicide).

The democrat senators not up for re-election will of course support it.

(Delaware County)

Your point is well taken, but sadly the factor of dems sticking together is much more likely than republicans.

The lobbying power of the 2nd amendment supporters is a shadow of what it once was, despite more gun owners. And on the other hand, the anties are well financed with a more determined unity.

(Susquehanna County)

Go to Congress.gov to read the bill here's info;
    1. S.736 * 117th Congress (2021-2022) A bill to regulate assault weapons, to ensure that the right to keep and bear arms is not unlimited, and for other purposes. Sponsor: Sen. Feinstein, Dianne [D-CA] (Introduced 03/11/2021) Cosponsors: (34) Committees: Senate - Judiciary Latest Action: Senate - 03/11/2021 Read twice and referred to the Committee on the Judiciary.
    Crap! I just checked as of 15:48 13 May 2021 text is not yet available.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast