Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    (Elk County)

Default Re: Gun show etiquette?

Quote Originally Posted by Heathen Dave View Post

1- While waiting outside of the venue watching vendors go back and forth buying things from each other before the show starts. I mean I understand why they do it either its something they want or I've seen them put it right on their table for sale at a higher price. Just wondering how people feel about this?
    Having worked both sides of a gun show table, I feel perfectly fine with it. Vendors have expenses; anywhere from $25 for a small firehall show table to $75 for a table at a larger venue in a more metropolitan area. Multiply that by 6, 8, or 10 tables, and that's a heck of a lot of overhead to cover only by making profit. Vendor buying and selling starts the minute the second vendor shows up during setup on Thursdays or Fridays, and continues even during show hours, and doesn't stop until there's only one vendor remaining Sunday evening. At ages 10-17 I used to "watch tables" for a local gunsmith who would set up at the gun show in the Saint Eulalia Roman Catholic Church parish hall in Coudersport, PA (1960s to early 70s) while the gunsmith would circulate and buy/sell before and during show hours. It's part of the gun show "thing." Want to participate? Buy a table or two and sell your excess or unwanted stuff, and then horsetrade to your heart's content on Friday night, and Saturday and Sunday mornings until the doors open.

2- Seeing the people walking around with signs on them trying to private sell ammo/guns in the parking lot. Do any shows restrict this? Would they allow someone to rent a table for $50 to sell off their ammo instead of walking around like that?
    Some show promoters don't care. Some show vendors DO care, having paid $$$ for tables, and they would like a crack at doing some of the buying, either that, or would like to see the promoter forbid lot sales, and either force people to get tables, or at minimum, take their stuff for a walk inside the venue. Personally, I think it's fair to forbid lot sales, forcing all transactions inside, but that doesn't stop some vendors from "door sharking" outside the door to the venue. THAT is a little unfair, IMO. All that said, some shows in some states (NYS) have signs prohibiting lot sales, reminding attendees that all firearm sales require a background check.

3- The lack of beef jerky, I am the only one bothered by not having someone selling beef jerky or other smoked meats?
    Personally, two tables taken up by jerky (or jewelry) are two fewer tables of firearm related stuff to see. I do not consume smoked dry meats which typically contain sulfites and salt, and I do not buy gun show food items, either from vendors, or from the in-faciliity "kitchen" as a do not eat at temporary cooking facilities that run for two days and collect dust for two weeks or months. You don't find jerky at a show? Stop at a convenience store for your fix on the way to the show, or returning home. JMO.

Noah
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by rkrcpa View Post
    show years ago at the Fort Washington Expo Center.
    They had some good shows. I miss them.
    Owner Trigger Time LLc 01 FFL/NFA Saylorsburg, PA. Sales/Service/Transfers/Training
    NRA CRSO/Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun inst. BSA Rifle/Shotgun Merit badge counselor. US Navy Marksmanship Team Staff

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
    Furthermore, what if I had an old gun that I wanted to sell and I had a vendor at the show who showed an interest in it? Would it be wrong for me to bring it along for them to inspect and buy?
    Just don*t bring it into a Walmart looking for accessories.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Heathen Dave View Post
    Just wondering thoughts from others on things I've seen recently at gun shows?

1- While waiting outside of the venue watching vendors go back and forth buying things from each other before the show starts. I mean I understand why they do it either its something they want or I've seen them put it right on their table for sale at a higher price. Just wondering how people feel about this?

2- Seeing the people walking around with signs on them trying to private sell ammo/guns in the parking lot. Do any shows restrict this? Would they allow someone to rent a table for $50 to sell off their ammo instead of walking around like that?

3- The lack of beef jerky, I am the only one bothered by not having someone selling beef jerky or other smoked meats?
    Not sure why anyone would be concerned with issues 1 and 3.

Issue 2 is annoying but not for the reason you suggest. I don't like to be solicited when walking around, regardless of the solicitor, the reasons or goods for sale.

(Carbon County)

I could not remember the name of the show, but a couple guy pegged it. The Fort Washington Expo. I was outside smoking a cigarette and these two guys from the show were arguing with a show "Deadbeat". He had a rifle on each shoulder. The show guys were saying that they would give him a free table and chair if he would come inside and not stand by the door. I had seen this clown before at other shows and I bet the dealers complained. This guy was nothing more than a dealer with no license that bought and sold for free. I was at a show in Leesport and had a 30-40 Krag for sale. When I went to leave he followed me into the parking lot trying to chew me down. I was ready to butt stroke the guy.

(Bucks County)

The old Ft Washington shows were the best I ever went to.
    Accuse your enemy of what you are doing as you are doing it to create confusion -Karl Marx

(Bucks County)

Bought an M-1 Carbine slung on a guy's shoulder at the Harrisburg show years ago. Had a little white tag on the muzzle alerting that it was available for sale.

Never had anyone "solicit" me at a gun show.
    There are two kinds of guns. Those I have acquired, and those I hope to.

(Butler County)

1. Vendors buy and sell early all the time. Some for resale, some for their collection.
    2. Always people carrying something to sell. I've bought and sold that way. Big shows forbid parking lot sales.
    3. Never bought any jerky, I usually buy a drink though.
    4. I wish some people would wash and use deoderant before the come.

(Wayne County)

#3 I can help ya with...lol!
    Small hand made batches of beef jerky...Mountain Meats and More on Face Book

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by bortle View Post
    I wish some people would wash and use deoderant before the come.
    ......you need to find better dates.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast