Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Lancaster County)

Default steel shot in old Model 12

I'm committed to go skeet shooting at the end of March. I haven't shot clay birds in probably 25 years. After agreeing to go, I realized the only shotgun ammunition I have is a ton of buckshot and 1/2 box of #6's. As we all know, you can't just go to the LGS and buy a couple boxes anymore. I made a run to Walmart and the only (and I mean ONLY) ammo they had was 2 boxes of Winchester #7 steel shot. I bought them knowing I may not find anymore any time soon. So........what's the consensus on shooting steel out of a 1956 Winchester Model 12?

(Lehigh County)

Default Re: steel shot in old Model 12

Quote Originally Posted by heatheroo View Post
    I'm committed to go skeet shooting at the end of March. I haven't shot clay birds in probably 25 years. After agreeing to go, I realized the only shotgun ammunition I have is a ton of buckshot and 1/2 box of #6's. As we all know, you can't just go to the LGS and buy a couple boxes anymore. I made a run to Walmart and the only (and I mean ONLY) ammo they had was 2 boxes of Winchester #7 steel shot. I bought them knowing I may not find anymore any time soon. So........what's the consensus on shooting steel out of a 1956 Winchester Model 12?
    I would think it would be good to see if you can swap with another poofer for lead shot?
    Illegitimus non carborundum est

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by gghbi View Post
    I would think it would be good to see if you can swap with another poofer for lead shot?
    Good idea. Any takers in the Lancaster Co. area looking to swap?

(Chester County)

Looks like Cabelas in Christiana has some target loads. I wouldn't run steel out of a model 12.

https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/hert...shotgun-shells
    Corruption is the default behavior of government officials. JPC

(Carbon County)

Get on Gunbroker. There was a lot of #7 1/2 up to #9 for sale. Steel shot is new to me. Why not shoot it in an older gun? Is there warnings on the box? A company would have to be crazy to market a product that damages what you use it with.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunplummer View Post
    Get on Gunbroker. There was a lot of #7 1/2 up to #9 for sale. Steel shot is new to me. Why not shoot it in an older gun? Is there warnings on the box? A company would have to be crazy to market a product that damages what you use it with.
    You mean like producing smokeless powder shells?
    Last edited by RockIsland; March 8th, 2021 at 01:38 PM.
    Accuse your enemy of what you are doing as you are doing it to create confusion -Karl Marx

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunplummer View Post
    Steel shot will leave a nice shiny ring on your older shotguns because with fixed chokes and the steel the barrel is made of were never made to shoot steel out of. When you bought a new shotgun back in the late 80's all the way to today if you read the manual that accompanies the gun it tells you that the barrel is steel safe. Depending upon the condition of the older firearm you may be able to shoot steel and only get a shiny ring but you may damage the choke area from the steel. If you do shoot steel shot in guns made to fire steel shot keep the shells nice and dry and shake it to hear the shot is loose in the cup inside the shell casing. I prefer Pepto Bismol. The tungsten looks pretty good but I have no experience with it.

https://chuckhawks.com/steel_shot.htm
    Corruption is the default behavior of government officials. JPC

(Lancaster County)

Update - I scored a couple boxes of 7 1/2 lead from a coworker.

(Carbon County)

Quote Originally Posted by RockIsland View Post
    You mean like producing smokeless powder shells?
    smokeless powder shells were 2 5/8 to 2 3/4 so they would not fit into black powder gun.

(Luzerne County)

“Smokeless powder shells were 2 5/8 to 2 3/4”.
    Still are, though finding the shorter shells can be tricky. RST makes them.
    Smokeless powder shells ARE available.....pretty much all modern shell loadings are smokeless. BP shells nowadays are *specialty* ammo and hard to find. The Model 12 in question was designed well within the smokeless propellant era.
    It was not designed for steel shot and using steel shot, which is not going to compress the way lead does, is apt to score the bore.
    “Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games.”Hemingway ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast