Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    (Carbon County)

Default Re: steel shot in old Model 12

So how do you make a barrel "Steel safe"? Open bore? Can't be the steel in the barrel. If anything shotgun tubes have gotten more fragile over the years. What about those "Mini shells" that are so popular now. You could jam them into any black powder gun.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunplummer View Post
    So how do you make a barrel "Steel safe"? Open bore? Can't be the steel in the barrel. If anything shotgun tubes have gotten more fragile over the years. What about those "Mini shells" that are so popular now. You could jam them into any black powder gun.
    In order to make a shotgun safe to shoot steel shot you buy a barrel or a shotgun who's metallurgy and bore have been designed to use steel shot. You can do what ever pleases you but we're all telling you how it is. It's part of keeping yourself informed. It's your decision to take advice or ignore it and proceed with your own ideas. Also don't fire modern smokeless shells out of Damascus barrels.
    Corruption is the default behavior of government officials. JPC

(Carbon County)

Having recently retired from 40+ years of machining I am just curious as to the metallurgy or chemical analysis of this "Special" steel. What is the proper bore? If you cannot add anything with some facts stay out of it. What you just replied answers nothing.

(York County)

smokeless powder shells were 2 5/8 to 2 3/4 so they would not fit into black powder gun.
    Not true, there were a pile of English made hammer fired SxS that are proofed and do fit a modern smokeless shell, however they were proofed for black powder, and only later models were proofed for smokeless.

I’ve got an old Thomas Bladen and sons, and even by proof mark, nobody can tell me which it shoots. So it sits on the mantle as a wall hanger and I stick to modern O/U
    Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God.

(Carbon County)

Yeah, even with some American early shotguns you could still order a Damascus barrel almost up to the 20's. The model 1897 Winchester comes to mind. Working on guns, anything before WWI is suspect in my mind. The reason the shell length was changed (In the US) was to avoid putting smokeless shells in a black powder gun. I am just wondering if the new "Mini shells" are going to cause a problem with people sticking them into old guns.

(Chester County)

Yeah, even with some American early shotguns you could still order a Damascus barrel almost up to the 20's. The model 1897 Winchester comes to mind. Working on guns, anything before WWI is suspect in my mind. The reason the shell length was changed (In the US) was to avoid putting smokeless shells in a black powder gun. I am just wondering if the new "Mini shells" are going to cause a problem with people sticking them into old guns.
    Report back to us your findings. I'm sure with your "knowledge" you'll be able to come up with some answers for those that are curious.

For everyone else. Be careful shooting steel shot and don't shoot it out of guns not designed to shoot steel shot and that includes old Model 12's.
    Corruption is the default behavior of government officials. JPC

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12