Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default Re: Open carrier unlawfully tased, arrested, and falsely charged wins in court

I look forward to the day when current Philthytown LEO's are all retired and they are unable to fill the vacancies.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Dauphin County)

Default Re: Open carrier unlawfully tased, arrested, and falsely charged wins in court

Quote Originally Posted by Carson View Post
    You can*t get 10*s of millions of dollars suing me personally, so I wonder what the civil rights and personal injury lawyers will do? In the meantime Officers will have to buy some type of personal insurance and then make sure they do as little as possible. I don*t see that as a win. Maybe some mechanics will leave their more dangerous jobs and come on over.
    I don't think a $10 million insurance policy is needed for individual officers, but $50k or $100k would be a great start. If it costs the Officer $1,000 per year for $100k insurance, that Officer might not be so quick to taze a kid jumping rope on the sidewalk or body slamming a person who didn't want to share their Walmart receipt.

This personal liability insurance either pays out or defends Officers first. Similar to car insurance....if you keep getting into accidents, you pay higher and higher premiums or they drop you. Any "major" incident, the Department would be involved for failure to train.

Qualified immunity isn't to protect those not following the laws it's to protect those who get wrongly accused while doing their job. Criminals aren't exactly the most upstanding citizens and will take every advantage of a situation.

(Berks County)

Qualified immunity does not protect officers that "knowingly violate the law."

Qualified immunity does not protect a police officer from criminal charges, internal investigations and/or termination.
    The agency protects them and covers for them.

I had a trooper hold a charge that he knew was not supported by probable cause and resulted in restrictions in liberties, then lie about why he was amending it later in court. The system does not care about one's rights.
    I am not a lawyer

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by tallbump View Post
    Qualified immunity isn't to protect those not following the laws it's to protect those who get wrongly accused while doing their job. Criminals aren't exactly the most upstanding citizens and will take every advantage of a situation.
    If they're wrongly accused, then the investigation will show the accusations as unfounded and there's no need for qualified immunity.
    I am not a lawyer

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by gooseSA40 View Post
    I don't think a $10 million insurance policy is needed for individual officers, but $50k or $100k would be a great start. If it costs the Officer $1,000 per year for $100k insurance, that Officer might not be so quick to taze a kid jumping rope on the sidewalk or body slamming a person who didn't want to share their Walmart receipt.

This personal liability insurance either pays out or defends Officers first. Similar to car insurance....if you keep getting into accidents, you pay higher and higher premiums or they drop you. Any "major" incident, the Department would be involved for failure to train.
    That only sort of works. The premiums will be paid by tax payers. Just look at how malpractice insurance works in the medical field and how it adds the cost indirectly to the patient.
    I am not a lawyer

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by tallbump View Post
    Qualified immunity has turned out to be the protection of those government employees that believe they are above the laws and act with impunity because they know they are protected. If individual government employees know they can be held responsible criminally and civilly if they get away with their crimes in criminal courts as happens quite often, individual government employees will carry insurance and act accordingly to respect the rights of citizens in a more responsible manner. As I've always maintained that I'm not against police, I'm against bad police or bad government employees.

As employee of public transportation for almost 35 years I understand the thought of being held liable for any negligent or purposeful neglect of duty. The State legislature also understood the unscrupulous nature of Philadelphia citizens and lawyers. It used to be when an accident happened in Philly the joke was always "the whole neighborhood was on that bus, trolley or train". Then they put in cameras and the Legislature limited amount of awards for pain and suffering but medical payments were still awarded according to injury with follow up by an investigation team. When I was operating on the road I had to carry "bad boy insurance" to protect my income in case of being taken out of service for rule or signal violations, or accidents that can happen through no fault of your own.

Serving the public is a responsibility and too often it becomes a power trip for a small group of individuals and the public has to be protected from them. I see people complaining about the bad officers here day in day out and there has to be a way of cleaning that problem up. Protecting them with qualified immunity is not a solution to that problem it enhances the problem.
    Corruption is the default behavior of government officials. JPC

(Juniata County)

If the laws were enforced to the letter, every second of every day, I guarantee you would complain about that also.
    I agree. The number of laws is burdensome and needs paired down seriously.

Hell, the federal government has literally no idea how many laws they have.
    "Cives Arma Ferant"

"I know I'm not James Bond, that's why I don't keep a loaded gun under the pillow, or bang Russian spies on a regular basis." - GunLawyer001

(Juniata County)

Quote Originally Posted by Rosco the Iroc View Post
    With an uncased shotgun? Never a good idea. It's along the lines of pulling out your pistol to try holsters in a shop-any shop. I brought one in a case and got an ok, showed clear.

Fuck the get a sling BS, do that to a reg gunshop and you get yelled at best or even drawn on.

Does that excuse the cops response-NO!
    He literally asked the first employee he saw, at the front door, and was told it was fine.

More then that, there is a good chance he doesn’t have a case. I think I got a case with only one of my guns, and my LGS on my has a sign about keeping your gun holstered, unless it is needed. Says nothing about long arms.
    "Cives Arma Ferant"

"I know I'm not James Bond, that's why I don't keep a loaded gun under the pillow, or bang Russian spies on a regular basis." - GunLawyer001

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by PAMedic=F|A= View Post
    He literally asked the first employee he saw, at the front door, and was told it was fine.

More then that, there is a good chance he doesn*t have a case. I think I got a case with only one of my guns, and my LGS on my has a sign about keeping your gun holstered, unless it is needed. Says nothing about long arms.

LOL!

So many laughs!

You think Walmart is a gun store. Maybe you think that employee is the store manager.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast