Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Heritage Barkeep .22 revolver

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    Question, since I'm not exactly knowledgeable about revolvers.
    How can you put a bird's head grip on one?

Do you need to replace the entire lower portion of the frame?

I can't find any good pictures. Something like this to accommodate the differently shaped grip?
    This - Heritage Bird Head Conversion

21029458_VL-Z.jpg

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
    it is literally a 2-3 minute job; the trigger assy etc is not part of the grip frame and drops right in.

my only complaint is not making it a 9shot - and no you cant use heritage 9shot cylinders in 6shot guns.

the rod to eject is literally no different than a frame mounted ejector in the sense that you can pop out empties without having to remove the cylinder so not sure why that is such a bother to some...

the birdshead from the factory doesnt bother me either bc it is so cheap and simple to do. keep in mind though that it is really a $50 job on the grips bc you need grip panels which are typically another $20... still, you end up with 2 options down the road if you change your mind.

even the goofy safety - yes their revolvers have actual manual safeties - doesnt really bother me bc they dont have transfer bars and if it didnt have the safety you couldnt safely carry a fully loaded cylinder.

(Susquehanna County)

Reminds me a bit of a 2" or 2 1/2" barreled piece that USFA made in .45 Colt. Kinda wish that outfit was still around and making the good stuff they'd produced.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

(Bucks County)

Order form kept telling me password verification invalid. Gave up. Sent them email reporting the problem. Hoping to order grip panels into a combined ship. That way the USPS can fuck up two things at once.

Managed to get the order in last night, both birdshead grip frame and panels. They use USPS and inform that they may take 10-12 days to ship after receiving the order. Guess that's just the gun industry nowadays.
    Last edited by Bang; March 9th, 2021 at 02:18 AM.
    There are two kinds of guns. Those I have acquired, and those I hope to.

(Bucks County)

Frame and grips came today. Conversion done. The screw supplied for the grip panels is too short. Fortunately, I had a useable screw in the screws box.

(Fayette County)

I don't know much about "western" style revolvers.
    What are the benefits of having a birds head grip over the regular one?
    "One must be a fox to recognize traps, and a lion to frighten wolves” ~ Machiavelli

Quote Originally Posted by Ricochet View Post
    Birds Head grip lays eggs !

There is no real benefits to the birdshead grip other than it makes it look more like an early period revolver.
    My issues, (many but to the point with this gun), isn't the gun at all but the rather dubious quality of Heritage's overall products. There is a cool factor to this gun and I really like the looks of it but until they show they can build a reliable quality piece that holds up to range time, I would never buy one.
    The timing of them after many rounds, (on a 22 LR??), comes to mind. I witnessed it at my range with one shaving lead after 200 to 300 rounds fired. Never found out how the gentleman made out with it thereafter. It's USA made, very inexpensive and a fun gun overall. Very much like the H&R 900 series revolvers except my H&R from the 1950's still shoots. How would the Heritage do after many many thousands of rounds over decades? Three words.........probably not well!
    Engineers make things idiot proof! Evolution makes better idiots!

Quote Originally Posted by Ricochet View Post

I find the birds head grip to be more comfortable than the standard SA plow handle grip - but only on small frame revolvers. My wife uses a pair of Cimarron Lightning revolvers for SASS. They're .38 special only and use a smaller frame. They balance really well, especially with the 3 1/2" barrel. On a larger frame Thunderball-type SA, the forward weight of the heavier barrel makes the gun feel unbalanced.

(Bucks County)

Yep, my 6-1/2" barrel with birds head frame is definitely front-heavy. I think the 4.75" might work OK. I'm toying with the idea of cutting it down. I'd have to Dremel a channel for a sight and solder it, ruining the bluing and living with touch-up.

The cylinder has quite a bit of fore and aft play. That is a recipe for failure from use, and causes a too-wide gap during firing. No wonder Heritage won't change barrels or offer them. When the gun eventually becomes unshootable, Heritage would be open to blame.

The approach to the design and parts materials reminds me of the cheap Rhom's that helped with the "Saturday Night Special" movement.

I think the gun is satisfactory for a few rounds to become familiar with it, then carried in the field for occasional use. In other words, not volume target shooting.

The bore is set up for the .22 magnum and is more accurate with that than with the .22LR.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast