Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    (Chester County)

Default Re: What happened at Federal????

Quote Originally Posted by Bang View Post
    Never saw nor heard of a case splitting at the "cannelure" (which I doubt is a proper term for it). Saw plenty of wadcutter-reloaded .38s split down from the mouth for a bit. That's the signal that the case is history. Understand, those loads are mild target loads that are forgiving of a lot.

Another first today for me...that the cannelure is a message not to reload that case. I guess I haven't read enough over my rather extended lifetime.
    I had the Federal cases on a 45 split at the cannelure on the case. I wrote about it the reloading section. It may not happen on the peewee round but I'd toss em' to be safe.
    Corruption is the default behavior of government officials. JPC

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    I like where this thread is going.
    Any chance that the deep state is involved in this?
    My tin foil clad bullets say yes...

(Bucks County)

I used to get my .45 brass from the range after sub-machinegun training. Reloaded them and used them in my 1911-A1. Still have some in the mix. I had altered the feed on the barrel to aid wadcutter entry, before I learned that stunt lessened case support and could cause blow-down through the stack. Got away with it because I seldom made/fired full loads, and I hadn't gone overboard with the Dremel. Acquired a second unaltered barrel for man-stoppers.
    There are two kinds of guns. Those I have acquired, and those I hope to.

(Susquehanna County)

Many years ago I could not reload 9mm Luger that did NOT have a case cannelure. Without the cannelure the bullets would push back into the case every time no matter hwo I crimped them!

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

(Bucks County)

Sounds like the sizing button was .001" too large. Maybe a .38/.357 button got on there by accident?

Also, I have always roll-crimped for revolvers, taper-crimped for semi-autos. You can get away with a roll crimp on a semi-auto as long as the mouth still engages the chamber shoulder.

When you say bullets set back, what were they made of? Lead? Plated? jacketed?
    Last edited by Bang; March 7th, 2021 at 06:32 PM. Reason: forgot an "o"
    There are two kinds of guns. Those I have acquired, and those I hope to.

(Susquehanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by Bang View Post
    Sounds like the sizing button was .001" to large. Maybe a .38/.357 button got on there by accident?

Also, I have always roll-crimped for revolvers, taper-crimped for semi-autos. You can get away with a roll crimp on a semi-auto as long as the mouth still engages the chamber shoulder.

When you say bullets set back, what were they made of? Lead? Plated? jacketed?
    it is a moot issue now. The dies for that are long gone, replaced by Dillion's. For 9mm then, I typically used Jacketed, mostly Speer. Though sometimes I'd also use Zero cast lead. Speer teed me off then also their jacketed bullets had a cannelure that I used to crimp into. The trouble started when they stopped producing their bullets without the crimp groove. These days the only difficulty I have is with my CZ Shadow. I've yet to find the right COAL for my favorite Steel Valley 125s. But they're super in my revolver!

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

Quote Originally Posted by Gun View Post
    That chambered, defensive round always get sent down range, as my first shot. The defensive round mag gets set aside until done at the range, or if I intend on cleaning the gun when I get home.

Who am I kidding, it's a Glock. They don't need to be cleaned.
    I rotate out ammo as well. My Glock seldom gets the white glove treatment, because its not a 1911.
    Aggies Coach Really ??? Take off the tin foil bro.

As I understood it , that very light knurl doesn't do squat to prevent set back. If you ever see Federal factory rounds with two different bullet weights , you'll see they are at about the seating depth. An easy way to tell 180gr .44 mags from 240's. Or 170 from 210 .41 mags. Whatever constriction it does provide is gone upon firing and resizing.

A true cannelure in the case was done in early .45 ACP ammo to prevent set-back in autos and especially open bolt guns like the Thompson and M3 Grease gun.

45acp1.jpg
    I don't speak English , I talk American!

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Royinmontco View Post
    I don't work for Federal, but it's important to understand that sometimes "belts and suspenders" type manufacturing processes get paired down in the name of efficiency.
    Rednecks and fudds are fond of this redundant practice.

(Chester County)

Here are weakened Federal 45 cases with the cannelure line. As I also mentioned in another post every single reloading manual that I own tells you to never reload brass of unknown origin. Buying swept up brass from a range may be all the rage today but from the old timers that taught me how to reload it would be something they would expressly tell you with all aplomb that is a dangerous practice. The only malfunction I ever experienced was from the Federal cannelure cases that ruptured right along that line. I did my due diligence proceed as you wish.

https://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.p...32#post4372532
    Last edited by JenniferG; March 8th, 2021 at 01:04 PM.
    Corruption is the default behavior of government officials. JPC

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast