Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Berks County)

Question Broken a Drill Bit Off in an Aluminium Lower

I was working on a lower I had laying around and I was just about done with the job when I broke off a 5/32" drill bit in one of the holes for the pins. Any idea how to get it out? Best I can come up with is drill in from the other side and attempt to knock it out with a punch.
    Last edited by RKillcrazy; March 7th, 2021 at 10:20 AM.
    Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6...

(Dauphin County)

Default Re: Broken a Drill Bit Off in an Aluminium Lower

That's what I was thinking. Use a drill smaller than 5/32", in case you are not in the exact location, then you can continue to drill from the original side and remove the smaller hole. You'll probably break the smaller bit when it hits the tip of the other one, though.
    Power always thinks...that it is doing God's service when it is violating all his laws.

(Centre County)

Is any of the broken drill accessible from the inside of the lower? If so, you might be able to grab it with needle nose vise grips and turn it back and forth while pulling it the rest of the way through. If you have not milled out the fcg area then you really don't have any choice except coming through the other side and trying to punch it out.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Berks County)

If there's a piece sticking out from the entrance side, you could grab it with pliers, vise grips and spin it backwards. It should let go pretty quickly and easily. If you're done gouging out the body , a pair of needle nose may grab it inside the cavity and spin it backwards.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Berks County)

Tried backing out the bit with pliers but, no joy. The pocket has been milled. The bit looks to have broken as soon as it began to break through and into the pocket. So, there's - maybe - 1/16" sticking out on the inside of the pocket. The bit looks to have shattered and anything I could grab from the outside has broken off to look much like what is seen on the inside.

(Bucks County)

Maybe try to drilling out the corresponding pin hole on the other side of the receiver. Then try hitting it out with a thin punch from that side.
    Accuse your enemy of what you are doing as you are doing it to create confusion -Karl Marx

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by RockIsland View Post
    Maybe try to drilling out the corresponding pin hole on the other side of the receiver. Then try hitting it out with a thin punch from that side.
    Yeah, that was my initial plan. Once I get another bit, I'll be trying to pop it out from the other side.

(Berks County)

It is logical that it would break when breaking through, that is when they grab and shit happens. Go easy and use oil to help prevent that.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by RKillcrazy View Post
    Yeah, that was my initial plan. Once I get another bit, I'll be trying to pop it out from the other side.
    I think you end up enlarging the other side hole when the new bit hits the broken one and doesn’t stay centered. Vice grips if you can grab a hold of anything

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by RKillcrazy View Post
    Tried backing out the bit with pliers but, no joy. The pocket has been milled. The bit looks to have broken as soon as it began to break through and into the pocket. So, there's - maybe - 1/16" sticking out on the inside of the pocket. The bit looks to have shattered and anything I could grab from the outside has broken off to look much like what is seen on the inside.
    Drill the other side proper, and use a punch to punch it out from the new hole.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast