Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    (Dauphin County)

Default Re: Broken a Drill Bit Off in an Aluminium Lower

Quote Originally Posted by icp4life162005 View Post
    Drill the other side proper, and use a punch to punch it out from the new hole.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoppy View Post
    I think you end up enlarging the other side hole when the new bit hits the broken one and doesn*t stay centered. Vice grips if you can grab a hold of anything
    Quote Originally Posted by RKillcrazy View Post
    Yeah, that was my initial plan. Once I get another bit, I'll be trying to pop it out from the other side.
    As I mentioned, use a smaller size bit from the other side. Then punch out the broken bit. Then drill through the original hole with your new 5/32" bit. This will insure the holes are aligned and the pin fits when finished.
    Power always thinks...that it is doing God's service when it is violating all his laws.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by ROCK-IT3 View Post
    As I mentioned, use a smaller size bit from the other side. Then punch out the broken bit. Then drill through the original hole with your new 5/32" bit. This will insure the holes are aligned and the pin fits when finished.
    ^
    Like he said!

(Bucks County)

How are you establishing where to drill?
    There are two kinds of guns. Those I have acquired, and those I hope to.

It should be obvious, but be sure to brace the side of the receiver with the bit on a flat surface with a smallish hole directly under the bit piece. You don't want the force of the punch spread across a larger surface and bulging the wall.
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

(Berks County)

Using the jig, I'll just touch the other side of the frame to create a small, cone-shaped, crater. I don't want to break into the pocket; I just want to create that cone so I can center a smaller bit down in the bottom of the cone and then drill through from there. If I were to just get at it with a smaller bit, I'd risk being off center, as it wouldn't self-center like the correct size bit would.
    Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6...

(Bucks County)

^^^ That's what concerned me. Good plan.
    There are two kinds of guns. Those I have acquired, and those I hope to.

(Warren County)

Once i knew guy that wallowed out the pin holes too much .

Solved the issue with small stainless machine screws for pins and lock nuts.

Gun shoots fine.
    American by BIRTH, Infidel by CHOICE

(Berks County)

No need for bolts although that would have worked if I needed them. That or filling the hole(s) in with epoxy, machining/filing them flush and then drill again. Either way, I won't need them.

I did just as I said... I had to clean out the broken pieces of the bit from the jig first. That was easy; I just used a punch and pushed out those pieces. I then assembled the piece into the jig and just touched the the 5/32" bit to the surface across from where the bit broke off. That formed a nice little cone for the 1/8" bit to sit in. I pushed the 1/8" bit through the wall and then used an 1/8" punch to push the shattered 5/32" bit out the other side. I got it started and then pulled part of the jig away, as I was not about to push that garbage through an additional 5/8" of aluminum if I didn't have to. I left one side of the jig in place to stabilize the punch... After that, I put the piece fully back into the jig and drilled & cleaned all four of those holes with the 5/32" bit. Back on track again! Thanks folks!
    Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6...

(Allegheny County)

Yay!!!

I kept wanting to post a pic of a recycling trash can as a joke, but didn't want to discourage you!

I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by RKillcrazy View Post
    No need for bolts although that would have worked if I needed them. That or filling the hole(s) in with epoxy, machining/filing them flush and then drill again. Either way, I won't need them.

I did just as I said... I had to clean out the broken pieces of the bit from the jig first. That was easy; I just used a punch and pushed out those pieces. I then assembled the piece into the jig and just touched the the 5/32" bit to the surface across from where the bit broke off. That formed a nice little cone for the 1/8" bit to sit in. I pushed the 1/8" bit through the wall and then used an 1/8" punch to push the shattered 5/32" bit out the other side. I got it started and then pulled part of the jig away, as I was not about to push that garbage through an additional 5/8" of aluminum if I didn't have to. I left one side of the jig in place to stabilize the punch... After that, I put the piece fully back into the jig and drilled & cleaned all four of those holes with the 5/32" bit. Back on track again! Thanks folks!
    Power always thinks...that it is doing God's service when it is violating all his laws.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast