Just a general question about the legalities of private sales. I've been bouncing around the web and I'm seeing conflicting info.

First off, obviously, if the other party isn't - legally - allowed to own or purchase a firearm, you cannot sell it to them. That said, from what I recall, privates sales - between PA residents - are legal for long guns (the typical hunting rifles and shotguns). However, what about AR-10/15-style rifles? They're long guns, as the term "rifle" implies, but I recall them being treated as pistols in the commonwealth and required an FFL to handle the paperwork. What about something like an old M1 Garand? It's a rifle but, it's generally considered a military rifle and I didn't know if it would need to be logged like a pistol sale. What about something like a Ruger 10/22? It's a rifle but it's semi-automatic... Just curious where some of these "long guns", that have historically not been used for hunting, fall under the law when selling them. (I know one can now use a 10/22 but, historically, that wasn't the case.)