Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Colt mid length gas tube vs standard mid length tube differences

Can anyone confirm that there’s a difference? Side by side the look the same, with the colt one being a hair longer at the gas key flare. The bends look the same.

I want to pick up an extra tube for my non adjustable block and the range has a colt one in stock

(Fayette County)

Default Re: Colt mid length gas tube vs standard mid length tube differences

Most gun makers (even Colt) outsource their small parts to be made by someone else.
    I don't think Colt even makes their own fire control groups anymore.
    "One must be a fox to recognize traps, and a lion to frighten wolves” ~ Machiavelli

Quote Originally Posted by Ricochet View Post
    Most gun makers (even Colt) outsource their small parts to be made by someone else.
    I don't think Colt even makes their own fire control groups anymore.
    Kinda figured as much. Price is the same between the no name nitride tube and the stainless brownells Colt tube (And both are missing pins). I’m just curious mainly because I want to try a slightly longer mid length tube And want to make sure it’ll work first. Otherwise I’ll just order another CMMG one with pin online

(Bucks County)

I think a short piece of tubing is the last part I would pay a premium for. Has anyone heard of a gas tube failure? Is it marked Colt (or how would you know)?

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Delkal View Post
    I think a short piece of tubing is the last part I would pay a premium for. Has anyone heard of a gas tube failure? Is it marked Colt (or how would you know)?
    You take that back, mister!!!
    Or I'm telling arfcom on you.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Fayette County)

Quote Originally Posted by Woodwanderer View Post
    Kinda figured as much. Price is the same between the no name nitride tube and the stainless brownells Colt tube (And both are missing pins). I*m just curious mainly because I want to try a slightly longer mid length tube And want to make sure it*ll work first. Otherwise I*ll just order another CMMG one with pin online
    I'd personally get the stainless steel one from Brownells.
    I recently bought a 14.5" mid length upper from BCM and the mid gas system shoots really nice.
    "One must be a fox to recognize traps, and a lion to frighten wolves” ~ Machiavelli

Brownells packaging specifically marked Colt mid length

The auto tech in me looks at it and says “hell, I have a tubing cutter, drill bits and a flaring tool...Hold my beer!” lol

(Montgomery County)

Good question, I've been toying with getting a couple gas tubes as spares/backups but haven't felt the extraordinary need.