Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    (Allegheny County)

Default Re: M1941 Johnson rifle

I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

They were originally designed to use the same mags as the BAR....but the ordinance department had a vested interest ($$$$) in the M-1 so the mags used in the evaluation were supposedly damaged. They re-designed it with the funky internal mag. I fired one and it was fine, but I would love to see one that used the BAR mags.

(York County)

they are long and cumbersome rifles to shoot. the odd reciprocating barrel will only allow for the spike type bayonet to be used since a blade type would be to heavy and would not allow the rifle to function. hands down it is the most odd feeling rifle I have ever shot. they are neat but most of the ones here in the US are the Danish contract versions. while the USMC did contract for some of them, not many of those are in civilian hands. the best advantage it had over the Garand was firepower. it should have won out over the Garand in trials since the Garand lacked several features that could have made it a really good rifle at the time.

(Mifflin County)

Quote Originally Posted by JoshIronshaft View Post
    I always see the same one at every gun show. I feel like it should have an odometer on it.

(Lehigh County)

I remember seeing one gathering dust on a top shelf for a while at Heritage Guild in Easton. I've occasionally seen them for sale at gun shows as well (almost certainly the same well-traveled example mentioned upthread). Have never seen anyone purchase one for the prices asked, though - like other overpriced WWII oddballs seen at gun shows (paratrooper takedown Arisakas, scoped G/K43s, etc.) I suspect they're simply brought along by the vendor as a conversation piece, drawing folks over to the table where they may see something they'd actually buy.

They're mechanically interesting guns but I don't think they are worth anywhere near what sellers are demanding, even considering their rarity.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by Prompt Critical View Post
    I remember seeing one gathering dust on a top shelf for a while at Heritage Guild in Easton. I've occasionally seen them for sale at gun shows as well (almost certainly the same well-traveled example mentioned upthread). Have never seen anyone purchase one for the prices asked, though - like other overpriced WWII oddballs seen at gun shows (paratrooper takedown Arisakas, scoped G/K43s, etc.) I suspect they're simply brought along by the vendor as a conversation piece, drawing folks over to the table where they may see something they'd actually buy.

They're mechanically interesting guns but I don't think they are worth anywhere near what sellers are demanding, even considering their rarity.
    ive seen plenty of type 2 Arisaka paratroopers sell at shows, and plenty of G43 rifles sell at shows as well. but you are correct, I have never seen a 1941 Johnson actually sell. oddballs for sure, but I think the ones you see at shows are just there for the ride. they aren't rare by any means and if you really want one, you can always find it somewhere.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12