Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default optics for a 6.5creed

Hey all, looking into some optics for my new tikka CTR. I plan on getting into longer range shooting, I have access to 400 yards on the regular, 600 and 1000 yards two different locations, same landowner, but it’s difficult to schedule with him, but it’s available a few times a year.

Anyway I’m looking for an optic that I can grow into, without spending $2k on a night force or a vortex Amg.
    I found a retailer online that has the vortex viper pst gen II 5x25x50 for $899 plus shipping. I’m just wondering if there’s a better option under the $1000 dollar mark. I’d like the zoom range to be similar to a 5x25, it’s overkill but I’ll grow into it as I progress. I’d also like to stick with a FFP optic.

Anybody have any opinions or recommendations?

(Chester County)

Default Re: optics for a 6.5creed

I recently picked up a RPR in 6.5 Creedmoor and decided to go with an Athlon Midas Tac 6-24x50.

I'm just getting into long range shooting and this is my first $200+ optic so I can't really comment on how it compares to others but it cost less than $700 and the fit and finish is excellent. I only have access to a 100 yard range, though.

(Berks County)

If you only want to buy once and grow into it, buy once, cry once.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
    If you only want to buy once and grow into it, buy once, cry once.
    I generally subscribe to the buy once cry once notion... not sure if I*ll ever get to use the full capabilities of a nightforce or higher end vortex amg. What would you suggest without breaking the bank?

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by 300zx_tt View Post
    I generally subscribe to the buy once cry once notion... not sure if I*ll ever get to use the full capabilities of a nightforce or higher end vortex amg. What would you suggest without breaking the bank?
    My pockets are pretty deep so I went with the Gen II Vortex Razor after rooting around and checking them out. I'm still trying to find a place to stretch it out.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
    My pockets are pretty deep so I went with the Gen II Vortex Razor after rooting around and checking them out. I'm still trying to find a place to stretch it out.
    How do you like the razor? Did you look at the viper as well? If so what didn*t you like about it that made you go with the razor?

I*m trying to buy a house in this batshit crazy market, I owe the irs 18k even after my quarterly payments (worst part of being self employed) and I need a new truck. So it*s definitely a less than ideal time for me to drop 2k on glass but I want to get out and shoot this damn thing.

(Berks County)

How do you like the razor? Did you look at the viper as well? If so what didn*t you like about it that made you go with the razor?

I*m trying to buy a house in this batshit crazy market, I owe the irs 18k even after my quarterly payments (worst part of being self employed) and I need a new truck. So it*s definitely a less than ideal time for me to drop 2k on glass but I want to get out and shoot this damn thing.
    I don't know much about optics and there is so much out there (like you are seeing) and I talked to people who shoot long distance. I narrowed the choices down to Leopold and Vortex Razor. Night force was just too pricey. The Viper wasn't recommended so I didn't even look at it. And right when I was shopping, a NIB Razor Gen II came up and I snagged it. I read the manuals and fondled it, watched some videos and read a book on long range shooting. Mine has an illuminated reticle and I think it's standard on the Razor. I believe it costs extra on the others. Damn, this is making me want to get it out there.

(Lackawanna County)

I’ve got a pst II 5-25 on mine 6.5

(Montgomery County)

Looking into Athlon optics as well... seems a good value and serious quality glass for the price

(Berks County)

Looking into Athlon optics as well... seems a good value and serious quality glass for the price
    They were also recommended by the optics vendor I chatted with when I was looking but I didn't find any to fondle and study so they weren't in the running for me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast