Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Montgomery County)

Default Homemade Shotgun Cushion Wads

Does anyone make their own cushion wads? I've been toying with the idea especially with 10 gauge wads since they are intermittently available even when times are normal.

My thoughts are to either make them from paper mache, felt, multiple layers of cardboard, or maybe even some acoustic tile I have laying around. The tile I could arch punch essentially as is, but I'm not 100% sure what it is made from. It's probably a mix of of fiberglass which I don't think would necessarily melt. Previous experiences, thoughts, and opinions for materials are welcomed. No need to reinvent the wheel. I just would like to get some functional, patterned, black powder loads ready for turkey season and would like to experiment with wads for the vintage 10 gauge
    Opera Non Verba

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Homemade Shotgun Cushion Wads

did you check Dixons muzzleloaders in Kempton, they always have lots of bags of felt wads on the shelf for almost every caliber . i bought some for my 10 ga in Dec (both 10 and 12 (to go in plastic wads as risers). they had multiple bags when i got mine.
    bailout the working class not the freeloading class

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Homemade Shotgun Cushion Wads

Quote Originally Posted by pacomdiver View Post
    did you check Dixons muzzleloaders in Kempton, they always have lots of bags of felt wads on the shelf for almost every caliber . i bought some for my 10 ga in Dec (both 10 and 12 (to go in plastic wads as risers). they had multiple bags when i got mine.
    Sorry I missed this! I haven't check back in awhile. I ended up using newspaper, hot water, and a little bit of Elmer's glue to make my paper mache wads. They actually patterned really well. I'm also fully stocked again on fiber wads. I got a bunch from Track of the Wolf and Precision Reloading when they came back in stock. I do want to check out Dixons at some point. I only follow their social media posts!
    Opera Non Verba