Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Our insistence on freedom is costing us freedom

The epitome of irony. We want police to follow the amendments. Good. That means no car stops and pedestrian stops without reasonable suspicion, and searches without probable cause. Then it is wondered why something can't be done about the drive-by shootings.

Well, once upon a time, it was done. The proof is in the old stats when loitering on a corner invited stop and frisk and cars cruising an area were stopped and searched. Many guns were discovered and taken into evidence, and the persons illegally in possession were prosecuted.

Perpetrators of crimes use or create the windows that has been discussed here. Police observe what leads up to the crime and develop an instinct when something doesn't look or feel right. Police were once given that, until a court decreed that being a cop does not make one a mind reader or some such. They did give the cops a little leeway. Their action may be able to withstand scrutiny if they can articulate the how and why to the satisfaction of the lay person. Describing a gut feeling satisfying the constraints of the Bill of Rights can be impossible.

Our right to go about our business unmolested by authorities has a catch. Those drive-by shooters and corner drug dealers enjoy those rights too. And when they commit heinous atrocities, laws get enacted that constrain we of the law-abiding class, not them.

When I point out that LTCF requirements are a violation of the 2nd amendment it is met with silence. But here if I suggest that the 4th amendment be corrupted in the same manner, it will be a mountain to die on.

So keep supporting the gang-bangers enjoy the window that we insist upon....that the cops mind their own fucking business....and watch our gun rights shrink of our own doing.
    There are two kinds of guns. Those I have acquired, and those I hope to.

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Our insistence on freedom is costing us freedom

"Mmmmm I need more boot daddy, I havent tasted your leather in soooooo loooonnnnnnggggg"

Summary.

You can have freedom or safety. I'll take freedom every time. When I first heard of stop and frisk I thought people were joking. I couldn't believe that could happen in this country. That is some shit that actual Nazis did. How about we go after people that are actually breaking the law and not trust a cop's spidey sense.
    Any vote for a third party is a vote for a Democrat. You are the enemy.

(Bucks County)

But you are losing your freedom by bestowing the same freedom on the bad guys. Do you have a remedy?
    There are two kinds of guns. Those I have acquired, and those I hope to.

(Berks County)

With freedom comes responsibility. Today's society has a huge void of the latter, which will lead to a decline of the former.

(Chester County)

I don*t want McDonalds Corp. to have the freedom to build a restaurant in my sub-division... so, zoning laws are good.

My point is that many of the restrictions in place today are necessary.

And for some perspective, consider China or North Korea and be happy that you live in the USA.

(Franklin County)

The problem with crime rate is not that the police aren't catching or investigating enough people, the problem is, when caught, criminals are given a slap on the hand and inserted back into society where they now have a criminal record and even less chance of ever becoming a productive member of society.
    The crime problem is not the cops on the streets, it's the court system. Most criminals are repeat, repeat, repeat offenders.
    I'm all for giving people a second chance, but not a third, fourth or fifth chance.
    The Hostler

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by Bang View Post
    But you are losing your freedom by bestowing the same freedom on the bad guys. Do you have a remedy?
    What happens when YOU are declared the bad guy?
    Power always thinks...that it is doing God's service when it is violating all his laws.

(Berks County)

There has to be a balance, and that's where philosophies clash. Complete freedom requires morality, and when morality falls, restrictions are imposed for 'safety,' and the spiral begins.

Same as with free market capitalism. I know this sounds extreme, but if there is an absolute void of morality, a person will step over another person dying in the street because there's no economic benefit to helping.

(Schuylkill County)

Our right to go about our business unmolested by authorities has a catch. Those drive-by shooters and corner drug dealers enjoy those rights too. And when they commit heinous atrocities, laws get enacted that constrain we of the law-abiding class, not them.

When I point out that LTCF requirements are a violation of the 2nd amendment it is met with silence. But here if I suggest that the 4th amendment be corrupted in the same manner, it will be a mountain to die on.
    I think we should violate the 1st and force people to stfu about what other amendments they are willing to concede.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast