Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Delaware County)

Default MP5 PDW type SBRs? What's best?

I guess I better get my hands on a small, evil black PDW pretty quick. Just wondering what direction to go.

Try to get my hands on a M11/9 for Lage slow-fire upper? Would an M10 with slow-fire upper be better? Stay semi-auto? B&T TP9 (formerly Steyr TMP/SPP) with folding stock?

I'll probably SBR a Glock at some point, but I've got the pistols already.
    Last edited by Suburban; November 6th, 2008 at 03:49 AM.
    Removed NRA Life Member pic. LaPierre and Chris Cox are ruining NRA.

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: MP5 PDW type SBRs? What's best?

I don't mean to be rude but i'm not sure i understand your question.

Are you asking if you should get a full auto gun or make a sbr or something else? I don't know how we can help you out with such little info. Like how much money you want to spend---what type firearm do you want? to me, an m11/9 full auto is no where in the same category as an mp-5?

Please elaborate.

(Delaware County)

Something bigger and more controllable than a pistol, smaller and less noisy than something like an M4. What comes to my mind is something like the MP5 PDW, I just don't like the ergonomics, and I want the bolt or slide to lock back on the last round.

Now that I think of it, I'm not sure that a M10 or M11 pattern firearm meets that last requirement. I guess there aren't many transferrable SMGs that fire from a closed bolt. Damn, that ban really sucks.

Full-auto would be more fun, at least in the short run, but would run a few thousand more dollars. Is the full-auto worth the difference in price? I dunno.
    Last edited by Suburban; November 6th, 2008 at 03:53 AM.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Suburban View Post
    Something bigger and more controllable than a pistol, smaller and less noisy than something like an M4. What comes to my mind is something like the MP5 PDW, I just don't like the ergonomics, and I want the bolt or slide to lock back on the last round.

Now that I think of it, I'm not sure that a M10 or M11 pattern firearm meets that last requirement. I guess there aren't many transferrable SMGs that fire from a closed bolt. Damn, that ban really sucks.

Full-auto would be more fun, at least in the short run, but would run a few thousand more dollars. Is the full-auto worth the difference in price? I dunno.
    Well a full auto M10/11 will cost around $3500-$4000. And an MP5 on the other hand, will cost about $20,000..

I just bought an HK factory german MP5 parts kit (9mm) with a receiver flat from http://www.hkparts.net/5.htm
    It is being assembled by Investment Grade Firearms.
    http://investmentgradefirearms.com/

It is going to have the Navy lower with full auto markings, but it will be semi auto. I also am having it built as a pistol (with no stock), because I don't want it to be laying around at some Class III dealer for months..
    I will make it an SBR myself, later on down the road.
    So it will be a 99% HK factory German MP5 with an American made receiver.
    Total cost $2900.00
    ZRT -SECTOR-7
    "If you do not stand behind our troops, feel free to stand in front of them" - Unknown
    "Incoming fire has the right of way" - Murphy's Military Laws
    "Fast is fine, accuracy is final" - Larry Vickers

(Allegheny County)

You can build an MP5 for about 3 thousand?? Huh???

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Globo Tron View Post
    You can build an MP5 for about 3 thousand?? Huh???
    And it is a HK factory MP5 kit..
    Semi auto of course....
    And If you want a stock, you would have to do the paper work for the ATF, have the receiver engraved, pay the $200 tax and wait about 6-8 weeks until you get your stamp so you can assemble it with stock.

But yeah you can..
    ZRT -SECTOR-7
    "If you do not stand behind our troops, feel free to stand in front of them" - Unknown
    "Incoming fire has the right of way" - Murphy's Military Laws
    "Fast is fine, accuracy is final" - Larry Vickers

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Suburban View Post

If you want the bolt hold open feature, you're going to need to look at something like an AR. You could sbr the lower and then run many calibers with varrying length barrels. 5.56 / 9mm ar my favorites.

I like my FA stuff. Is it worth more---that is a question only you can answer.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Guns4Fun View Post
    If you want the bolt hold open feature, you're going to need to look at something like an AR. You could sbr the lower and then run many calibers with varrying length barrels. 5.56 / 9mm ar my favorites.

I like my FA stuff. Is it worth more---that is a question only you can answer.
    I have a registered DIAS, so I could do that I guess. One that used Glock magazines would be great, but I'm sure Olympic Arms makes their uppers so they're not compatible. I'd have to go back to ARF.com and see if there's anything good available. Last time I looked into a 9mm AR, the price and availability of good mags was a problem. MGI still doesn't have a 9mm or .45ACP magwell available for their modular AR lower.

(Montgomery County)

My AR 9mm is the oly / sten set up with a mag block. It does not have the bolt hold open feature nor does it use the mag release. At the time I was doing my 9mm AR, the ban was going on. Sten mags were only $5-10 but colt mags were $80+. Cost was the only reason I went oly / sten instead of colt.

I’m pretty sure you need a different lower to use the oly / glock. Oly only sells the complete rifle. I do not know if your DIAS will work in the oly / glock lower.

I understand what you are saying about the colt 9mm. Colt mags are still going for $40-60 and I hear the new C Products 9mm mags are hit and miss. However, I have heard of pretty good success using uzi mags in the colt system. You could send the uzi mags to m60 joe and he can notch them for the ar mag release and weld on a tang for last round bolt hold open. Uzi mags are going for $10-15 and I think his mods run around $5-10. However, I’m not too sure of the availability of the uzi mag block. It has been a long time since I searched the 9mm set up.

Good luck in whatever you decide to do. It is too bad you don’t like the mp-5 or mp-5k rifles. I own both. Bobcat sbr’d semi clones and they are a ton of fun to shoot. I don’t find the lack of last round bolt hold open to be a problem on those guns. Gun goes empty, jack back the cocking handle, pull out mag, insert new mag, slam cocking handle down. Sure it is a little slower than an AR but I don’t need super speed shooting at paper. I guess it is easier for me because I have a FA uzi / mac and they run with an open bolt and that is the similar procedure I use for them too. However, not having the bolt hold open / mag release on my 9mm AR is a real pain. It is a very slow reload.

Oh, since you have a DIAS, you should know how fun FA is .

Good luck