Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default RV’s and firearms - 4th amendment protections and traveling

Hoping one of our resident law dogs can answer this:

If one lives full time in an RV and is traveling, does the RV count as a residence under 4th amendment protections, or would it fall under the FOPA laws?

I ask because I’m looking at purchasing an old ambulance that’s been converted/registered as an RV and am planning to move west to live in it full time while I save to buy a home.

(Franklin County)

Default Re: RV’s and firearms - 4th amendment protections and traveling

Yes and yes, the way I understand and interpret it is when the RV is moving it's treated as a vehicle, when it's parked and you are "living" in it, it is treated as a home.
    Not that it's the same thing but a "guide" for determining if FOPA or the 4A applies would be open container laws. If you are parked in your RV you can drink and have open containers, but as soon as you move the RV, you can be cited.
    I did a little research on this when I was travelling between PA and FL and stopping in SC to sleep in the back of my truck.
    I also did some research as it applies to commercial trucks with sleepers. Legal minds determined that any space forward of the sleeper was considered a commercial vehicle, and any areas behind the sleeper curtain was considered living area.
    The Hostler

(Erie County)

There is a motor vehicle exception to the 4th amendment, which I think would also apply to RVs, if the RV was not hooked up to services.

FOPA only applies if the RV is moving through a state with only necessary stops.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggies Coach View Post
    Cause white people are awesome. Happy now......LOL.

That’s kind of how I interpreted it, however with a true RV (one without a divider separating the sleeping area from the cabin area) it gets a bit murky.

In my case I could put a door in between the cabin and cargo/sleeping area that locks and go from there. Also figured as with anything else, if a problem arises it’s better to not comply and deal with the consequences/argue the laws in court in this case. My main concern is with the long guns really, as I can plan my route to allow me to go thru states that honor my LTCF

Hopefully gunlawyer or Sig4Life can kick in and speak on this from a legal perspective. The only states I’m concerned about are Illinois and Indiana
    Last edited by HanzMcFeely; February 23rd, 2021 at 06:11 PM.

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by Woodwanderer View Post
    That*s kind of how I interpreted it, however with a true RV (one without a divider separating the sleeping area from the cabin area) it gets a bit murky.

In my case I could put a door in between the cabin and cargo/sleeping area that locks and go from there. Also figured as with anything else, if a problem arises it*s better to not comply and deal with the consequences/argue the laws in court in this case. My main concern is with the long guns really, as I can plan my route to allow me to go thru states that honor my LTCF

Hopefully gunlawyer or Sig4Life can kick in and speak on this from a legal perspective. The only states I*m concerned about are Illinois and Indiana
    Not sure how a door, or a divider would be any different than a locked trunk on a passenger car when considering a probable cause search.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggies Coach View Post
    Cause white people are awesome. Happy now......LOL.

(Montgomery County)

Don't forget www.handgunlaw.us has an RV Carry section for every state. Could be a useful resource.

Quote Originally Posted by jthrelf View Post
    Don't forget www.handgunlaw.us has an RV Carry section for every state. Could be a useful resource.
    That really helps actually...

Ohio/Indiana/Illinois/Iowa/Nebraska/Colorado/Arizona are only states I’m planning on being in/passing thru. Illinois/Iowa I can avoid if I cut into Kentucky and up thru Missouri into Nebraska. Should be reciprocity with my LTCF in all the states I travel in at that point. Kansas is a maybe, but they have constitutional carry...

Handguns are the least of my concerns. It’s state “assault weapons”/hi cap mag laws I’m concerned over, and why I’ll likely avoid Illinois altogether

(Cambria County)

It is bizarre that, in a Free Country, this question even needs to be asked.

Quote Originally Posted by Carnes View Post
    It is bizarre that, in a Free Country, this question even needs to be asked.
    Maybe one day that’ll change...for now, welcome to the Twilight Zone

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by Woodwanderer View Post
    Maybe one day that*ll change...for now, welcome to the Twilight Zone
    Oh, it'll change someday. There will be no question, it will be illegal to transport anything that uses powder to throw a bullet, anywhere, without a specific and expensive license to do so.
    The Hostler

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast