Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Our 1st President........

Happy birthday, General Washington! On this day in 1732, George Washington is born in Virginia, the first of six children of Augustine and Mary Ball Washington. (Augustine also had two older sons from a previous marriage.)

When Augustine died in 1743, George Washington inherited Ferry Farm in Fredericksburg, VA, and ten slaves over whom his mother retained control until he was 21. His older half-brother, Lawrence, inherited Little Hunting Creek in Fairfax County, VA, and renamed it Mount Vernon.

Washington lacked the formal education that his brothers received at Appleby Grammar School in England, but he did learn math and land surveying and became a talented surveyor.

gw.1.jpg

Default Re: Our 1st President........

No one ever remembers John Hanson or the Articles of Confederation but everyone knows the story of the cherry tree chopper . They are the Rodney Dangerfield of the 1770-80*s. No respect. https://www.constitutionfacts.com/us...-hanson-story/

*When we think of the President of the United States, many people do not realize that we are actually referring to presidents elected under the U.S. Constitution. Everybody knows that the first president in that sense was George Washington. But in fact the Articles of Confederation, the predecessor to the Constitution, also called for a president- albeit one with greatly diminished powers. Eight men were appointed to serve one year terms as president under the Articles of Confederation. In November 1781, John Hanson became the first President of the United States in Congress Assembled, under the Articles of Confederation.*

Btw.... I do look at Washington as the first president, just putting a bit of trivia out there.

(Chester County)

Happy birthday George!

(Berks County)

As an elementary school student in the '70s, I remember Washington's Birthday and Lincoln's Birthday both being celebrated.

Happy Birthday to the Greatest President!

Life has a melody. Not great, not terrible.

(Allegheny County)

It's black history month and you racists completely ignore the first BLACK (well, partially black) president???

Shameful!
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    It's black history month and you racists completely ignore the first BLACK (well, partially black) president???

Shameful!
    And honor a slaveholder! Doubly extra shameful!
    Power always thinks...that it is doing God's service when it is violating all his laws.

Quote Originally Posted by ROCK-IT3 View Post
    And honor a slaveholder! Doubly extra shameful!
    There's a reason my Gdubs painting has a bundle of cotton next to it.

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by JustinHEMI View Post
    There's a reason my Gdubs painting has a bundle of cotton next to it.
    HAHA, I didn't even notice the cotton. You need to be silenced. You want to put people back in chains, don't you?!
    Power always thinks...that it is doing God's service when it is violating all his laws.

Quote Originally Posted by ROCK-IT3 View Post
    HAHA, I didn't even notice the cotton. You need to be silenced. You want to put people back in chains, don't you?!
    That cotton came as a "protest" buy when some black chick lost her shit because Hobby Lobby sold cotton sticks. So I went to Hobby Lobby to buy some haha. I did reply to that post with a picture of it but unfortunately the post has since been deleted.

https://www.al.com/news/2017/09/woma...nst_hobby.html

"A Facebook post taking Hobby Lobby to task for a display that included cotton plants is igniting its own controversy.

Late last week, Daniell Rider of Killeen, Texas posted a photo and a message to the craft chain's Facebook page, saying cotton - a prime export of the pre-Civil War South - in a glass vase was "so wrong on so many levels."

"There is nothing decorative about raw cotton. A commodity which was gained at the expense of African-American slaves," she wrote. "A little sensitivity goes a long way. Please remove this decor.""

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast