Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default Long Range Training

I'm mulling over taking class(es) on long range shooting and seek information. I am currently looking at two classes. One is a one day class with whatever gun I bring along that's capable of long range and the other is a three day class run by Barrett with Barretts only. For a reasonable fee they rent everything for the class and all I'd have to do is show up with my personal gear like eyes and ears.

Is one day enough? Is three days overkill? Or is three days just a start? Barrett has two classes: Long Range 1 and Long Range 2, each are three day classes.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Wayne County)

Default Re: Long Range Training

Quote Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
    I'm mulling over taking class(es) on long range shooting and seek information. I am currently looking at two classes. One is a one day class with whatever gun I bring along that's capable of long range and the other is a three day class run by Barrett with Barretts only. For a reasonable fee they rent everything for the class and all I'd have to do is show up with my personal gear like eyes and ears.

Is one day enough? Is three days overkill? Or is three days just a start? Barrett has two classes: Long Range 1 and Long Range 2, each are three day classes.

How many days do you want to get away from the wife? 1 day you*ll get the basics, 3 days they go into lots more detail in reading wind, etc, etc. Its fun to ring steel at 1/2 mile.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Qtrborecrazy View Post
    How many days do you want to get away from the wife? 1 day you*ll get the basics, 3 days they go into lots more detail in reading wind, etc, etc. Its fun to ring steel at 1/2 mile.
    Mrs isn't an issue either way. Being pretty ignorant to it all outside of reading an introductory book on it, I'm wanting to know if a three day class is warranted or overkill. The book did outline many of the variables to be considered and three days of instruction on it doesn't sound far fetched.

(Carbon County)

What is your current experience level?

If you haven't attended an Appleseed event I strongly suggest starting there before paying big bucks for a class.

It will be local, it will be cheap, it will make you a better shooter and you'll be prepared to get a lot more out of a class you're shelling out a lot of money for down the line.

Plus it's a ton of fun with lots of like-minded folks

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by marketermac View Post
    What is your current experience level?

If you haven't attended an Appleseed event I strongly suggest starting there before paying big bucks for a class.

It will be local, it will be cheap, it will make you a better shooter and you'll be prepared to get a lot more out of a class you're shelling out a lot of money for down the line.

Plus it's a ton of fun with lots of like-minded folks
    I've been shooting all my life and...don't laugh...was pretty good with a bb gun. But I've had no genuine instruction. My range has 150 yds and I consider myself proficient at that distance. I thought the appleseed events were for women and kids and brand new shooters.

(Carbon County)

Appleseeds are great for woman and children, not so much because the content is so basic, but because there are usually enough instructors for 1:1 attention for those that haven't been shooting all their lives, and because there is definitely some basic material like adjusting scopes and sights.

I volunteer for them so I'm a bit biased Once you get past the basic stuff, the focus is entirely on building stable positions, finding natural point of aim, and the fundamentals of taking a good shot. I've been to a few dozen events and I've never seen someone who was willing not take away knowledge and be a better shooter after a weekend of doing it.

My first event I also had been shooting awhile. I've absolutely improved from a 100 yard I can hit the target no problem kind of shooter to shooting 800 yards sub moa. Appleseed is the only formal rifle training I've done.

I'm not saying I wouldn't benefit from a different class, but I am saying knowing what I know now, I'd be irritated at myself if I spent a few grand on it before I was capable of the fundamentals to even take longer shots. And like I said, it's very inexpensive to give it a go (as long as you have ammo these days lol).

(Chester County)

I took a class that was 2 full days. The first day was classroom until lunch and then shooting all afternoon and a night shoot. Part of the shooting was getting everyone's gun squared away while zeroing at 100 yds (it didn't take long), and then stretching it out. The instructors also observed everyone's position and mechanics, and I saw my grouping tighten up nicely after one of them had me move my right thumb a little. Targets were of known size at unknown distances and we had to use the mildots or moa marks in our scopes to calculate the distance and then hit them. They had everyone scoring consistent hits at 800 yds the first day. 1000 yds was a little harder, but many of us managed to get hits on an 18" disc (everyone was using .308).The second day, time pressure was dialed up and we did the Marine UKD test. In this, you are given a limited amount of time to find and get the distance to the targets, and have to make a decent range card because once the shooting starts, there is no time to dick around looking for targets. Everyone did pretty well, but most had some trouble past 700 yds distances because of 20-30 knot swirling winds.

The class was an intense 2 days. I came home with a DOPE book filled with valuable data on my rifle and ammo. For that reason, I would go for at least a 2 day class and use your own gun.
    Boy, I say boy, you're reaching the limits of my medication!

(Monroe County)

How far out do you want to go?
    Owner Trigger Time LLc 01 FFL/NFA Saylorsburg, PA. Sales/Service/Transfers/Training
    NRA CRSO/Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun inst. BSA Rifle/Shotgun Merit badge counselor. US Navy Marksmanship Team Staff

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Rosco the Iroc View Post
    How far out do you want to go?
    Me or my bullet? I'd like to just go up the street a mile but that's not going to happen. The bullet? As far as the equipment would do sounds like a nice goal but at least 1000 yds.

(Monroe County)

I mostly go mid range 2-600yds and can help with that.
    Owner Trigger Time LLc 01 FFL/NFA Saylorsburg, PA. Sales/Service/Transfers/Training
    NRA CRSO/Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun inst. BSA Rifle/Shotgun Merit badge counselor. US Navy Marksmanship Team Staff

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast