Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Empty ranges

Stone's throw from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

Default Re: Empty ranges

PMSC seems more quiet than usual, even considering the cold weather. I'm getting my choice of outdoor bays and I've had the indoor range to myself.

(Columbia County)

Quote Originally Posted by crjeff View Post
    Just touching on an annoying topic of the great ammo shortage. Don't you just find it interesting how empty the ranges are even in normal times and now with the great hoard going on nobody wants to shoot what they
    do have. My guess is they never will shoot what is hoarded, bring back the russian and mexican ammo please and fill the void.
    It should be of major concern the health of our shooting sports, can't have them without ammo for competitor's to shoot. Those of us who reload specific for our sport can't find primers and the powder has dried up as well.
    And don't get me started on the price gouging it's ridiculous it's laughable that some shooter would pay $30 plus for a box of 9mm pistol ammo. I've heard there are ships sitting in port loaded with ammo but due to covid can't be unloaded, not sure if that one is true or not.
    Only $30.00 a box. The last I check at LGS who had any 9mm and online vendors it was about $40.00 a box for target rounds. Likely to be wolf or some other steel case rounds that should be selling for no more than $8.00 a box.

(Schuylkill County)

I was just thinking about how empty ranges must be. But, Most of you seem to be saying that isn't true.

With the crazy prices of ammo be extra cautious about bad guys following you home. If I was a bad guy I would probably follow the guy home that had ammo.

Hell! For some ammo I might even let them do things to me.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by eyecanshoot View Post
    I was just thinking about how empty ranges must be. But, Most of you seem to be saying that isn't true.

With the crazy prices of ammo be extra cautious about bad guys following you home. If I was a bad guy I would probably follow the guy home that had ammo.

Hell! For some ammo I might even let them do things to me.
    Always be in condition yellow at the range. That goes for making sure other people are being safe as well as not getting robbed of expensive, restricted equipment.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by West Chester View Post
    I dropped membership at sccsfa a couple years back because of how crowded it has gotten. Glad I made the right decision if it's still crowded.

Where do you shoot now?

Bob D

(Mifflin County)

Quote Originally Posted by Roadking View Post
    3 words...private backyard range.
    Yes , Mine in only 125 yards . I still belong to a range to do longer shots .

(Delaware County)

We have an active membership at NHRPC. Its never really crowded during the weekends, mainly because we have a smaller membership than many of the surrounding clubs. Weeks are usually quiet and when I like to go. I might run into 3-4 at most on a week day...weekends are busier because we have matches planned throughout the year. Even with a crowd, there is plenty of space to shoot.

I don't see a drop off in range use...for those who come were smart in the first place to make sure they have plenty of ammo.
    Last edited by RenoV8; February 22nd, 2021 at 03:56 PM.

At this point, it would cost nearly a $100 to shoot a box of WW 115g FMJ target rounds (100 round box) at the range. 100 rounds would last, what, say a half hour. Now you need to replace that 100 rounds and will most likely have to buy bulk at $500 for 500 rounds once you throw in shipping and tax. This is crazy. Candidly, its not worth it to go and spend a day at the range. You could drop hundreds of dollars in just ammo. At some point, the numbers are going to come down once the demand dries up from people having what they need/want and not willing to pay nearly a dollar a round for range ammo. IMHO
    My GGG Grandpappy,front row (20th NC, Co. F.) and Family Circa 1900.

(Susquehanna County)

This time of year I usually shoot at the Towanda Rifle and pistol Club indoor range. But they closed it due to Covid last spring. I was shooting in my back yard until the cold weather set in. Now I'm just hanging on until the spring thaw and April brings the first club matches at Sayre Sportsmen Club. Maybe I'll get some practice in in March, just not sure where it'll be. Right now things are so tight for components I'd even be glad to a case of Wolf Primers, even though I cussed them when I had them!

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

(Allegheny County)

its been a few weeks since I was PMSC. Ive been mostly shooting rifles { .300 winmag, .308, 30.06}
    I always take an AR or 2 to shoot between strings.
    Notice the absence of footprints.
    2021-02-04_09-30-47 by poofy27, on Flickr

The AR .22 LR conversion is fun to shoot. The red dot does completely cover the 8!/2 by 11 target though.
    2021-02-19_07-35-52 by poofy27, on Flickr

working a load for the .300 winmag. Scored 5 lbs of H100V
    2021-02-04_09-31-24 by poofy27, on Flickr

Also will start putting together some 10mms. Got a couple pounds of #9

I should be taking the SKS's and AK out as I have a couple extra rounds for those rifles even though quite a bit is Chinese corrosive.

I did hear some activity up in the pistol bays.

Probly Scruff
    Opinions are like anal apertures. They all stink but mine.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast