Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Re: IWB holsters for husky gentlemen

Seems like there's an art and science to it. A sturdy belt will keep from the holster flopping out. There are a number of questions to ponder. Check out YouTube videos by PHLster and Keepers Concealment.

- Do you need to tuck a shirt in or can easily be more casual? If tucking, may need something like DCC Mod Clips for closer to the base than top or a PHLster Enigma.
    - Do you wear undershirts or not? If not, may want a higher sweatguard or piece to keep it from rubbing against you.
    - There are ways to get the holster to fit more with a body type. Some brands offer a side "wing" you can add on to cant the grip inwards more so it prints less (ModWing, DarkWing, RavenClaw). If the gun spills over the top at all, adding some sort of "wedge" at the bottom will push it in towards you (hard form piece, Dr. Schol's pad cut out, etc..)
    - On the flipping out part, some makers will make holsters a bit longer to better balance on you (like an iceberg).

Without looking up that specific model, an affordable holster might run you around $40 or so, but a nice one with all the features that aid in comfort and concealment will be more like $80 and up. If the affordable option is your choice, I'd highly recommend spring $10 or so to get a DCC Monoblock shipped and exchanging out the bulky plastic FOMI clip for something that is low vis and holds extremely well.

Some brands to look at for ideas: PHLster, Henry Holsters, LAS Concealment, Dark Star Gear, JM Custom Kydex, KSG Armory, Raven Concealment, Keepers Concealment.

All of those also have great customer service so you can email them and they'll answer with details. Also, some of the nicer ones will have a 15-30 day money back guarantee so if it's not working, easy to send back.

(Delaware County)

Personal statistics: I wear 2X tees and 3X button shirts. I just sized down from a 52 to a 48 belt (yay!). I carry a full-size 1911 IWB around 3-3:30 with 2 spare mags at 9:00.

My holster is a hand-made (my hands, thankyouverymuch) crossbreed-style tuckable hybrid. After 6 years of daily all-day wear, plus a couple hundred IDPA matches, the 8oz leather finally succumbed to the sweat and needed replacing. I used 11oz leather this time (treated with Obenauf's for sweat protection), new tuckable clips that I bought years ago when I first made it, and the same shell I made 6+ years ago. I am wearing it as I type this. All of this to say the style works for me. If you're going to go IWB, be advised you need to fit your pants to the gun, which will probably require 2" or more over your normal size.

As was mentioned, a good belt is also a must. I have been happy with my 1¼" steel-core Bigfoot Gunbelts Slim Dress Belt with a roller buckle. It fit my dress pants for office wear and isn't too narrow for my Tru-Spec 24/7 pants/shorts.

Final note for forum newbie: when replying to a particular post, reply with quote so we know what you're replying to. Reference posts 4,5, and 6. Welcome.

(Bucks County)

Cookies helped me get into the 3x shirt.

(Bucks County)

Thanks.

(Bucks County)

Will do. Thanks.

(Bucks County)

Thanks.

(Berks County)

I’m a 3xl shirt with 48 inch waist jeans. I carry a SA XD Mod 2 or Taurus 605 2” IWB on a daily basis. I’ve been using White Hat holster products for many years and find them to be comfortable. I recently purchased a KORE Essentials gun belt. It is the most adjustable belt I’ve owned, allowing you to snug enough to keep everything where it belongs without having the belt cut into your abdomen.

(Bucks County)

I've been well pleased with Remora holsters. Their material seems to (for want of a better word) stick wherever you place it. Inside the waistband, for example, without hooks of clips. I'm only using them with smaller pistols like a Springfield XDS, Kimber 380 or small revolver.

(Erie County)

I'm a fat guy, and I can conceal a Hellcat 9 in a DeSantis Pegasus Slim-Tuk Holster, and I don't know it's there, even when I sit in my truck.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by RB Bellows View Post
    I'm looking for an iwb holster for a ruger9E, and maybe one for a smaller revolver. I wear a 3x shirt and I have loose skin from weight loss surgery. I haven't concealed carried yet, so any insight would be appreciated.
    Current FF here. I like crossbreed super tuck. Milt Sparks President. Kydex for when I'm going to sweat like I'm swimming.

Now for some insight from you. Is it true you gain an inch for every 100 lb lost?
    The Gun is the Badge of a Free Man

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast