Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Re: Affordable and secure safe?

Yes, I'm sure I did not make your decision any easier. Sorry about that.

Liberty threw a monkey wrench into my analysis, as they have a new locking bar system that appears to be better than the old spot-welded bolts. Not better than the Sturdy Safe sytstem, but may be as secure.

However here's what really counts

The body in a standard Sturdy Safe is 3/16" thick or 7 gauge (smaller is better for gauge).
    The body on the Liberty Lincoln is 1/8" thick, or 11 gauge.
    To back up my "Most security for the money" statement, you don't get a 7 gauge body wall in Lincoln until you get to their "Presidential" line, mucho more bucks.

The plate thickness in the Sturdy Safe door is 5/16"
    I can't figure out what thickness the outer plate on the Lincoln is because they put all the marketing hype in the thickness of the "composite" door, which acts to hide this, and they don't tell you. There is an outer plate, a sheet of drywall and a thinner inner plate. On mine, which is decades old, I believe the outer plate on the door pon mine was 10 gauge, or 9/64".

I may revise my statement that all the safes in the middle category are the same so get the cheapest, because it looks like the Liberty military bar locking system may actually be an improvement over the old spot-welded bolt system adn Liberty may then be the best of that bunch. But I'd still recommend the Sturdy Safe model 2822 for you, as regardless of whether the Liberty bars are an improvement, the Sturdy is thicker in both body and door at the same price point, and their bar and linkage is certainly safe.

Good luck! Here's the photo of my door gap on my Lincoln, but I admit their bar system may prevent pry attacks, I just don't know. But the Lincoln Presidential with the plate thickness of the Sturdy Safe starts at $4,800!

[img=CONFIG]142599[/img]
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by JCinPA; February 13th, 2021 at 02:35 PM.

(Montgomery County)

And about fire safety, I keep passports, my wife's citizenship papers, birth certs, marriage certificate, etc in one of the smaller Sentry document things in the bottom of the safe. If you live anywhere with reasonable fire department response time, I think the fire lining is over emphasized. If you live in the boonies, maybe not. My inside Liberty is fire lined, the Sturdy on the slab in the garage is not.

This kind of thing. $50

[img=CONFIG]142600[/img]

(Montgomery County)

Should have put this above. Door gap is amazing. They laser cut their door plates. When closed into the recess there's no possible way to get a pry bar in there, which is why they cut a slot for it in their video.

[img=CONFIG]142602[/img]

(Bucks County)

It is looking more and more like I'll be going sturdy. Now i have to call and have a few questions about shipping and moving it answered. I don't have the desire or equipment to move a 500+ lb safe.

-Zach

Quote Originally Posted by zachomega View Post
    It is looking more and more like I'll be going sturdy. Now i have to call and have a few questions about shipping and moving it answered. I don't have the desire or equipment to move a 500+ lb safe.

-Zach
    Safe delivery is typically curb side. Expect the safe to be bolted on a skid. That's about all you will get.
    Aggies Coach Really ??? Take off the tin foil bro.

(Chester County)

Then move it into the house Egyptian style on tons of wooden dowels
    Hoplophobia is funny

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Daycrawler View Post
    Safe delivery is typically curb side. Expect the safe to be bolted on a skid. That's about all you will get.
    I figured. I'm planning to call some places tomorrow that deal safes locally and have it delivered to them (whoever them turns out to be) and pay them to move it into my house.

-Zach

A lot of safes are set up so that you can remove the door greatly reducing the weight of the safe when moving it. Something to keep in mind if you wind up having to move it yourself.

(Bucks County)

Looking for a super secure safe implies you believe an intrusion is a realistic possibility when the home is unoccupied. It also assumes a thief will have time to find, open and remove items, or remove a full safe.

What security measure are you planning to deter a break in, and/or to motivate the thief to get out quickly to avoid arrest?

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by internet troll View Post
    A lot of safes are set up so that you can remove the door greatly reducing the weight of the safe when moving it. Something to keep in mind if you wind up having to move it yourself.
    Good to know. But really not on my list of things to do.

Quote Originally Posted by frankski View Post
    Looking for a super secure safe implies you believe an intrusion is a realistic possibility when the home is unoccupied. It also assumes a thief will have time to find, open and remove items, or remove a full safe.

What security measure are you planning to deter a break in, and/or to motivate the thief to get out quickly to avoid arrest?
    I'd like to keep smash and grab off the table. And I've definitely seen the videos of crowbar attacks where people get into safes in under 2 minutes.

I have security cameras on the house and I'm actually friendly with my neighbors. And while i know it counts for very little, my dog has a nice loud bark. Neighbors recognize her.

Any further suggestions?

-Zach

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast