Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Affordable and secure safe?

I'm looking into safes and aside from most being out of stock, I'm finding predictably high prices coupled with high shipping.

Any suggestions on where or how to obtain a quality safe for less?

Requirements:
    1. Heavy. Yes i realize this will make shipping/delivery more expensive.
    2. Quality. No junk safes made of thin easily pried open sheet metal.
    3. Mechanical lock.
    4. Enough space for 7 long guns with optics.
    5. Ideally Space for ammunition as well. Stored in 30, 50, and fat 50 caliber cans. This isn't entirely a deal breaker.
    6. Possibly most importantly, my budget is 1500$ total. Yes, i know you get what you pay for. But something is better than nothing, right?

-Zach

(Centre County)

Default Re: Affordable and secure safe?

Check Tractor Supply, they carry safes for reasonable prices.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

When I find a house, I may build one out of concrete.

(Northumberland County)

I went through a similar dilemma 3 years ago and settled on a Liberty Fat Boy Jr, a hair under $1500 on the summer sale from Richland Shooters Supply (Lebanon County), before delivery. Think was like $1450 + 350 delivery. That was the best safe I could justify at the price point. Manual S&G lock, large capacity, best metal and fire rating without doubling my budget. Piestracks is also a highly recommended dealer out of the Wilkes/Scranton/Hazelton area, suggested by several other forum members. Other dealers may be closer to home for you...not sure. Worth calling for both places though...some of these shops arent so up to date on their websites. Liberty tends to run a June sale at maybe 20% off or so.

If you want heavier duty, Sturdy Safe is well regarded and close to your budget (albeit over), but shipping from West coast is a killer if I recall correctly. https://www.sturdysafe.com/ they used to do scratch and dent sometimes though

Sportsman’s warehouse had some good deals a few months back. I picked up my 18 gun Vital Hunter safe for ~$300. Weighs 218lb, fire rated at 1200* for 30 min

7 long guns with optics. So at least a 14 gun safe since they seem to have the thinnest possible guns in mind when they come up with their ratings. Room for ammo means you want a safe probably twice that size so at least a 28 gun safe. You may also want to take into account future purchases and just plan on at least a 48 gun safe when looking.

Basically whatever you think you need..... at least double it.

Quote Originally Posted by bogey1 View Post
    When I find a house, I may build one out of concrete.
    At that point go for a gun room built like a safe.

(Northumberland County)

Almost forgot too...Facebook marketplace, if you're able to move it yourself. People dont like moving safes, and I've seen a few nice ones come up cheap. My parents druggie neighbor sold a real nice one for $300 a while back...if I needed one yet and knew for sure that he wouldn't have known who I was, if have been all over it.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Xringshooter View Post
    Check Tractor Supply, they carry safes for reasonable prices.
    Not really local to me. I'm thinking of checking the local locksmith's shop. I know they sell safes. I have to believe a local delivery charge will be a lot cheaper than a shipment.

Additionally, I'm going to need help getting whatever safe i end up with into position. Just had hernia surgery. Fortunately, no stairs.

Quote Originally Posted by Rural Ruger View Post
    I went through a similar dilemma 3 years ago and settled on a Liberty Fat Boy Jr, a hair under $1500 on the summer sale from Richland Shooters Supply (Lebanon County), before delivery. Think was like $1450 + 350 delivery. That was the best safe I could justify at the price point. Manual S&G lock, large capacity, best metal and fire rating without doubling my budget. Piestracks is also a highly recommended dealer out of the Wilkes/Scranton/Hazelton area, suggested by several other forum members. Other dealers may be closer to home for you...not sure. Worth calling for both places though...some of these shops arent so up to date on their websites. Liberty tends to run a June sale at maybe 20% off or so.

If you want heavier duty, Sturdy Safe is well regarded and close to your budget (albeit over), but shipping from West coast is a killer if I recall correctly. https://www.sturdysafe.com/ they used to do scratch and dent sometimes though
    I've looked at both sturdy and Liberty. Liberty is priced in line with my budget. I don't know what their reputation is. Again, buying local would be ideal to minimize crazy shipping charges. And their safes are around 400 pounds.

How do you like the safe?

Quote Originally Posted by Woodwanderer View Post
    Sportsman’s warehouse had some good deals a few months back. I picked up my 18 gun Vital Hunter safe for ~$300. Weighs 218lb, fire rated at 1200* for 30 min
    One of the problems I'm having is i don't know a good brand from a bad one. Vital hunter could be top of the line or junk and i honestly wouldn't know.

Quote Originally Posted by internet troll View Post
    7 long guns with optics. So at least a 14 gun safe since they seem to have the thinnest possible guns in mind when they come up with their ratings. Room for ammo means you want a safe probably twice that size so at least a 28 gun safe. You may also want to take into account future purchases and just plan on at least a 48 gun safe when looking.

Basically whatever you think you need..... at least double it.
    I've seen this math. I definitely don't need more than an 18 gun safe. Even being conservative, that is 9 guns. I don't really but a lot of long guns anymore. And even the 7 i have could somewhat easily be turned into 3 or 4 without any real hardship.

Some of the guns have quick detach scope mounts which will allow for deeper stacking too.

I feel like (and maybe I'm wrong) the bigger a safe i get on the same budget, the more I'm sacrificing in quality of materials. So if i get an 18 gun safe for 1500 vs a 24 or 30 gun safe for the same money.

-Zach

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Rural Ruger View Post
    Almost forgot too...Facebook marketplace, if you're able to move it yourself. People dont like moving safes, and I've seen a few nice ones come up cheap. My parents druggie neighbor sold a real nice one for $300 a while back...if I needed one yet and knew for sure that he wouldn't have known who I was, if have been all over it.
    Not on Facebook and definitely cannot move it myself.

-Zach

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast