Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Default Re: Affordable and secure safe?

So far I’m happy with this vital hunter safe. It’s in line with the basic models that cabelas/Dunham’s offer and seems pretty sturdy. Iirc it’s 16ga or 18ga steel.

It is a bit on the small side for 18 guns. Anything over about 22”-24” barrel makes for a tight fit while still allowing shelf space. But I can fit my 870 w/ 18” barrel, ar10 w/18” barrel, the sub2k and 22 rifle plus about 1k rounds of ammo in it. The shelf can be moved up and down to your preference and. There’s space on the door for 2 pistols and a dozen mags. I should note, I haven’t moved the shelf up from factory position so I’m limited to 22” max if it has a short stock.

Touchpad lock that runs on 9v. So far in 9 months I haven’t had to change the battery and I open the safe at least 2x a day.

Quote Originally Posted by internet troll View Post
    At that point go for a gun room built like a safe.
    That too...

(Northumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by zachomega View Post
    I've looked at both sturdy and Liberty. Liberty is priced in line with my budget. I don't know what their reputation is. Again, buying local would be ideal to minimize crazy shipping charges. And their safes are around 400 pounds.

How do you like the safe?

I've seen this math. I definitely don't need more than an 18 gun safe. Even being conservative, that is 9 guns. I don't really but a lot of long guns anymore. And even the 7 i have could somewhat easily be turned into 3 or 4 without any real hardship.

Some of the guns have quick detach scope mounts which will allow for deeper stacking too.

I feel like (and maybe I'm wrong) the bigger a safe i get on the same budget, the more I'm sacrificing in quality of materials. So if i get an 18 gun safe for 1500 vs a 24 or 30 gun safe for the same money.

-Zach
    In short, i like it alot for what it is/what i paid. Opens as it should, good size, seems stout. But no way to know for sure unless a fire, burglary, etc. occurs, right?

Long version, Liberty has a strong marketing program for sure, but was also legitimately the best I could find for what I wanted to spend and with a manual lock (which was surprisingly hard to come by). I think its 50-50 in terms of their hype vs. their quality. The Centurion (IIRC) line is cheaper but also a bit lower quality (it may make sense in your circumstances though). Fatboy, 1776, Colonial and many other models fall into a mid grade in my opinion, with slightly different features. You basically hit a point where any extra cost goes towards finish more than 'features', and without dropping $3k+ you're not gonna get a lot better steel thickness or true functionality. So I'm happy for $1500.

What I will say though is that ARs and guns with larger scopes actually take up more than 2 spaces unless you like them touching. I think mine was rated for somewhere around 40-50 guns and I've got maybe 10 long guns in it across 2 of the 3 sections (third section reserved for ammo and other stuff). Yes, I could stuff my shit in tighter but I like some space between it, especially where optics are concerned. I'm good for right now, but will eventually need another one, or another spot for ammo.

Regarding size and quality...yes and no. At TSC and Dunhams, probably true...but with a non big-box store safe, I think most are made big by virtue of most buyer's needs/big doesnt mean crap quality.

Quote Originally Posted by Xringshooter View Post
    Check Tractor Supply, they carry safes for reasonable prices.
    I agree!

Quote Originally Posted by zachomega View Post
    I have to believe a local delivery charge will be a lot cheaper than a shipment.

Additionally, I'm going to need help getting whatever safe i end up with into position. Just had hernia surgery. Fortunately, no stairs.
    -Zach

......and friends with trucks are even better.
    Aggies Coach Really ??? Take off the tin foil bro.

(Montgomery County)

You did not define "affordable", however as with most things in life "affordable" and "secure" are on a seesaw.

I will tell you, if you can budget for it, you will not find more security for the dollar spent than you get from sturdy safe. And I state that as a categorical. The fancy automotive paint finish, the thicker bolts that are spot welded to a piece of angle iron, the fancy interiors don't add to security at all, but they do add to the cost. Sturdy safe gives you a simple safe, with thicker steel than the others, the bolts actually do their job because they run through a C-Channel rather than being spot welded to a piece of angle iron, the fit between the door and body is very tight. You get way more security for the $ than from any other brand.

That said, if you don't want to spend that much, the differences between the other, more advertised brands, really don't amount to much. The differences in steel thickness and bolt system between Sturdy Safe and everyone else is meaningful. The differences between Canon, Liberty, store brands like Cabelas, Winchester, et al, really don't amount to anything significant, they are nibbling around the edges and creating marketing fluff. Buy the cheapest of that lot you can find that your wife likes the looks of, basically, it doesn't really matter.

I did an OCD deep dive on this topic years ago. I have two safes, a Liberty Lincoln and a Sturdy. There is no comparison. Check these out.

Video on this page on linkage design
    https://www.sturdysafe.com/pages/stu...linkage-design

thicker bodies and doors
    https://www.sturdysafe.com/pages/how...afes-are-built

Security of thicker steel
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXVfVUW2ZkI

I can't find the Sturdy video of them breaking into a "pretty" safe, but this one does. Skip to 2:15 where it starts. It took less than 2 minutes. Faults? Gap around door, not as thick steel, short bolts spot-welded to angle iron.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RlwGkO0hxE

Prying a sturdy safe
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4oOqDHedivQ

This model is probably adequate for your needs (they have one smaller one, but nobody ever complains they bought a safe that was too big).
    https://www.sturdysafe.com/products/model-2822

If you don't want to go that way, then I suggest you look for sales at places like Rural King, Cabelas, Bass Pro Shops, even check out Costco and get something cheap. A gun locker is too flimsy, but once you get above that, they are all in the same class until you reach the steel thickness of a Sturdy Safe and their better linkage--they'll all keep curious teenagers or potheads out, but none of them keep a determined and experienced burglar out, so don't waste money. Once you reach the 3/16" steel body and their 5/8" doors of a standard Sturdy Safe, you are in a higher security class with the other manufacturers that the pretty safes (if they have that class) charge at least double for. But at least the security matters.

This is the difference in bolt construction that makes theirs so much better.

[img=CONFIG]142586[/img]
    Attached Images Attached Images

(Allegheny County)

How about one of these ?

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-24-i...Box/1000172281

419.00 line it with fire rated drywall.
    Thicker steel than most RSC"s.

Tanner's used to have a good selection and decent prices. I bought 3 mid-size , better grade Sentry Safes. They were about $500ea. Took doors off to move them up a flight of steps to second floor. Only took 3 strong friends. I laid out and drilled a 6-hole pattern in the sides so I could bolt all 3 together once I got them in place. They ain't going no where.
    I don't speak English , I talk American!

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Rural Ruger View Post
    In short, i like it alot for what it is/what i paid. Opens as it should, good size, seems stout. But no way to know for sure unless a fire, burglary, etc. occurs, right?

Long version, Liberty has a strong marketing program for sure, but was also legitimately the best I could find for what I wanted to spend and with a manual lock (which was surprisingly hard to come by). I think its 50-50 in terms of their hype vs. their quality. The Centurion (IIRC) line is cheaper but also a bit lower quality (it may make sense in your circumstances though). Fatboy, 1776, Colonial and many other models fall into a mid grade in my opinion, with slightly different features. You basically hit a point where any extra cost goes towards finish more than 'features', and without dropping $3k+ you're not gonna get a lot better steel thickness or true functionality. So I'm happy for $1500.

What I will say though is that ARs and guns with larger scopes actually take up more than 2 spaces unless you like them touching. I think mine was rated for somewhere around 40-50 guns and I've got maybe 10 long guns in it across 2 of the 3 sections (third section reserved for ammo and other stuff). Yes, I could stuff my shit in tighter but I like some space between it, especially where optics are concerned. I'm good for right now, but will eventually need another one, or another spot for ammo.

Regarding size and quality...yes and no. At TSC and Dunhams, probably true...but with a non big-box store safe, I think most are made big by virtue of most buyer's needs/big doesnt mean crap quality.
    Thanks for the feedback about liberty.

Quote Originally Posted by JCinPA View Post
    You did not define "affordable", however as with most things in life "affordable" and "secure" are on a seesaw.

I will tell you, if you can budget for it, you will not find more security for the dollar spent than you get from sturdy safe. And I state that as a categorical. The fancy automotive paint finish, the thicker bolts that are spot welded to a piece of angle iron, the fancy interiors don't add to security at all, but they do add to the cost. Sturdy safe gives you a simple safe, with thicker steel than the others, the bolts actually do their job because they run through a C-Channel rather than being spot welded to a piece of angle iron, the fit between the door and body is very tight. You get way more security for the $ than from any other brand.

That said, if you don't want to spend that much, the differences between the other, more advertised brands, really don't amount to much. The differences in steel thickness and bolt system between Sturdy Safe and everyone else is meaningful. The differences between Canon, Liberty, store brands like Cabelas, Winchester, et al, really don't amount to anything significant, they are nibbling around the edges and creating marketing fluff. Buy the cheapest of that lot you can find that your wife likes the looks of, basically, it doesn't really matter.

I did an OCD deep dive on this topic years ago. I have two safes, a Liberty Lincoln and a Sturdy. There is no comparison. Check these out.

Video on this page on linkage design
    https://www.sturdysafe.com/pages/stu...linkage-design

thicker bodies and doors
    https://www.sturdysafe.com/pages/how...afes-are-built

Security of thicker steel
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXVfVUW2ZkI

I can't find the Sturdy video of them breaking into a "pretty" safe, but this one does. Skip to 2:15 where it starts. It took less than 2 minutes. Faults? Gap around door, not as thick steel, short bolts spot-welded to angle iron.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RlwGkO0hxE

Prying a sturdy safe
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4oOqDHedivQ

This model is probably adequate for your needs (they have one smaller one, but nobody ever complains they bought a safe that was too big).
    https://www.sturdysafe.com/products/model-2822

If you don't want to go that way, then I suggest you look for sales at places like Rural King, Cabelas, Bass Pro Shops, even check out Costco and get something cheap. A gun locker is too flimsy, but once you get above that, they are all in the same class until you reach the steel thickness of a Sturdy Safe and their better linkage--they'll all keep curious teenagers or potheads out, but none of them keep a determined and experienced burglar out, so don't waste money. Once you reach the 3/16" steel body and their 5/8" doors of a standard Sturdy Safe, you are in a higher security class with the other manufacturers that the pretty safes (if they have that class) charge at least double for. But at least the security matters.

This is the difference in bolt construction that makes theirs so much better.

[img=CONFIG]142586[/img]
    Thank you so much for the in depth response. It gives me a lot to think about. Do i hold off and save funds or settle. I've still got a little bit more research to do.

Quote Originally Posted by abner13 View Post
    Tanner's used to have a good selection and decent prices. I bought 3 mid-size , better grade Sentry Safes. They were about $500ea. Took doors off to move them up a flight of steps to second floor. Only took 3 strong friends. I laid out and drilled a 6-hole pattern in the sides so I could bolt all 3 together once I got them in place. They ain't going no where.
    Last time i was at Tanner's, they didn't have a single safe on the floor. Pandemic and all.

Quote Originally Posted by DukeConnor View Post
    How about one of these ?

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-24-i...Box/1000172281

419.00 line it with fire rated drywall.
    Thicker steel than most RSC"s.
    Too horizontal and not enough vertical.

-Zach

Life Lesson: Never skimp on gun safes or parachutes.

Buy a Liberty or something equivalent, not a "deal" from the local store.
    The USA is now a banana republic. Only without the bananas....or the Republic.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast